Help with RS232 to USB cable

tucstargzr

As the subject implies, I'm looking for a ~4-5 meter adapter cable
between the mount and USB computer port. I know I saw some traffic on
this (Possible future AP product?) but darned if I can find it again.
IIRC, the key was a type/brand of chip in the cable????

Forgive my poor search skills...

Tom
Tucson, AZ

Paul <plefevre@...>

Hi Tom,
Here's a web page that may help:

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

More options than you'll ever want, probably :)
I use their USB to 2-serial-port adapter...one goes to the AP mount,
one to my RoboFocus (#USGB-2X232 on that page). The serial cables
from the adapter can basically be as long as you want them to be, mine
are both 12 feet. It very reliably runs my mount and focuser, and is
$40. Lots of other less expensive options that work well.

Paul

--- In ap-gto@..., "tucstargzr" <tucstargzr@...> wrote:

As the subject implies, I'm looking for a ~4-5 meter adapter cable
between the mount and USB computer port. I know I saw some traffic
on
this (Possible future AP product?) but darned if I can find it again.
IIRC, the key was a type/brand of chip in the cable????

Forgive my poor search skills...

Tom
Tucson, AZ

Michael Turner

Tom,

I use a Radio Shack 15 ft 9 pin RS232 cable with an IOGEAR GUC232A
USB/Serial adapter on my AP400.

Michael

At 07:24 AM 8/21/2007, you wrote:

As the subject implies, I'm looking for a ~4-5 meter adapter cable
between the mount and USB computer port. I know I saw some traffic on
this (Possible future AP product?) but darned if I can find it again.
IIRC, the key was a type/brand of chip in the cable????

Forgive my poor search skills...

Tom
Tucson, AZ

tucstargzr

Thank you, Paul and Michael, for your advise on this. Evidently the
solution was much simpler than I was making it out to be. A hop, skip
and a waddle up to the local electronics store had me fixed up.

Tom
Tucson, AZ