Mount does not stop Update - E1 chip installed

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

Well I got the E1 chip and it was easy enough to stick in there.

Before I replaced the chip, when I had 2 serial cables attached and
used TheSky and PulseGuide, the keypad had the same issue as PulseGuide
in that when I press the direction buttons and then let go, the mount
would sometimes still slew.

With the same setup as before but now with the E1 chip, the keypad
seems to be working the way it should be (it was already on 4.12), so I
wonder if that was just an independent issue with the D chip. Nothing
I do can do will break the keypad, it stops when I tell it to and that
is about it.

At this point I can just live with one cable but now it is a puzzle to
solve. I only need pulse guide to initialize the mount, CCD Commander
will take over from there. (again, I am trying to remove the keypad for
remote operations, more for protection than anything else)

Next I need to change out the serial cables themself just to get them
out of the picture. But running both programs with 2 serial cables
still won't fly, its very easy to get pulse guide not to stop the mount
from slewing.

Dean

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dean Salman" <cluster@...> wrote:

I do plan on updating all the chips needed, I think there is a Max
chip or something Howard told me about. I was in line with a new one
but got a good deal for this one, so spending some cash for the
latest stuff is something I do not mind.

Roland Christen

In a message dated 8/17/2007 1:15:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
cluster@... writes:

Next I need to change out the serial cables themself just to get them
out of the picture. But running both programs with 2 serial cables
still won't fly, its very easy to get pulse guide not to stop the mount
from slewing.
What two programs do you have attached to the two serial cables? Is one of
them TheSky6? If so, what refresh rate do you have for the position cursor? If
it is a fast rate, try changing it to update position every 2 - 4 seconds. If
your refresh rate for the position cursor is very fast, the servo may become
overloaded with requests for RA/DEC position and not have time to respond to any
other commands.

Rolando

**************************************
Get a sneak peek of the all-new
AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

I will check on that but I kind of thought that might be an issue, so
I suspended the link to the Sky when moving the scope with Pulse
Guide. Just to let you know, the Sky can be disconneted completey
although I have not tried this with never connecting to the sky. But
it seems just having the 2nd serial cable attached is enough to do
the damage.

I talked to Howard today. I am going to swicth out the serial
cables. If that does not help, then order the VART and MAXIM chips.
He feels the VART would be more the guy but since the other is not
much more, I would have them both. If replacing the chips do help,
then I suspect they were issues from day one, but it was not
discovered. I would do the VART first and then try it out.

cluster@... writes:

[...]

bcoote37

Hi Roland,
I have Sky 6 and have been using a 500ms update frequency. I just changed it to 4000 ms and on re-opening The Sky it had become 4 ms
In fact any figure over 3000 ms reverts to the single first digit.
It saved 2900ms update time fine however.
Brian
http://www.bcoote-astro.com/default.htm