Mount does not stop Update

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

This is now serious problem. I have changed power supplies and there
seems to be no issue with the gears. The software in the mount is
4.0x, is that the problem. This happens at any speed including 1x and
both axis. I do know someone with a 1200 mount near by so I guess I
can change out parts but this is looking like a mount issue, not the
control box or key pad.

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dean Salman" <cluster@...> wrote:

When I use the keypad, sometimes the mount will continue to slew so I
have to press stop. I thought it was the key pad but PulseGuide did
the same thing without the keypad. Someone told me it was in the
controler box. So far I have not seen this using the Sky or CCD
Commander. Anyway thoughts ?

Dean

tucstargzr

Dean,

I'm new to the Goto mounts, but a few days ago
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto/message/18896

Did you ever verify which version you're using? Current is 4.12.
The software version scrolls immediately after powerup.

Dowload from AP the Keypad_V412.pdf, and then the flash update. On
page 11 and 12 of the Keypad instruction manual it details the fixes
(top of page 12 mentions "N-S-E-W buttons will work correctly")

Hope this helps.

Tom

[...]

Yes, I was going to do this but the page says there is a password so
I have to call AP and give them my serial number to get it. I hope
that works

--- In ap-gto@..., "tucstargzr" <tucstargzr@...> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

In a message dated 8/12/2007 2:03:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
cluster@... writes:

This is now serious problem. I have changed power supplies and there
seems to be no issue with the gears. The software in the mount is
4.0x, is that the problem. This happens at any speed including 1x and
both axis. I do know someone with a 1200 mount near by so I guess I
can change out parts but this is looking like a mount issue, not the
control box or key pad.
I assume you have spoken with Howard and he told you that it is a servo
control problem - specifically the microchip inside the servo controller. I also
assume that you will be sending the servo control box in to have it fixed?

Rolando

**************************************
Get a sneak peek of the all-new
AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

Yes, he said I need to start replacing someone these, the first is
putting in the E1. I am also going to try another set of Y cables
and a power supply that puts out 15v. The previous owner did not
see this issue, so it could even be the serial ports themself. At
this point he said nothing about sending anything in yet, I think we
are in the trouble shooting stage.

cluster@... writes:

This is now serious problem. I have changed power supplies and
there
seems to be no issue with the gears. The software in the mount is
4.0x, is that the problem. This happens at any speed including 1x
and
both axis. I do know someone with a 1200 mount near by so I guess
can change out parts but this is looking like a mount issue, not
the
control box or key pad.
I assume you have spoken with Howard and he told you that it is a
servo
control problem - specifically the microchip inside the servo
controller. I also
assume that you will be sending the servo control box in to have it
fixed?

Howard Hedlund

Hi Dean and Group,

I spoke with Dean about the issue this morning, and I thought that I
should make a few trouble-shooting comments to the group as a whole.

* We always recommend that you have the latest firmware versions
installed on your keypad. The current version, v.4.12 has been a very
stable and trouble free version. It has fixed any bugs that were in
previous versions. For any of you who have not yet upgraded, I suggest
you do so. Unlike some other software company who shall remain
nameless, our latest version really is better, and it's free!
Likewise, it is always a good idea to have the current version ROM chip
installed in your GTOCPx servo control box. These chips aren't free,
but they are very reasonable, and are relatively easy to upgrade.
* When you are having a problem with your electronics, it is
always a good idea to start with simple solutions first. Verify your
power supply. Verify the integrity of your cables. Make sure you have
good connections and that contacts are clean and free of oxidation.
Intermittent or inadequate power can cause all sorts of strange behavior
in servo control electronics, and poor connections can interrupt or
corrupt communication between various components in a system.
* Be sure that you don't have a mechanical issue. This mainly
means be sure that your motors can turn the worm. Check this by turning
the spur gear as Roland has outlined many times to this group.
* The motors in the servo drive system must be fed voltage by the
servo system to operate. Although there is a very sophisticated control
system involving communication from the motors' encoders back to the
servo, back to the motors etc., the motors or the mount cannot demand
power or "suck" voltage from the system. They can only turn if the
servo logic decides to feed them the necessary electrons. If they are
turning when they shouldn't, it is because they are being fed voltage
when they shouldn't. The question is why are they being fed?
* There are really only two possibilities here. (I left out
operator error since I have full confidence that Dean can press and
release a direction button!! ;-) Either the servo is being instructed
to feed the motors by erroneous instructions from the keypad or
computer, or else the servo is erroneously feeding voltage to the motors
without being told to do so. In this particular case, we had the
problem showing up both when the keypad was giving the instructions to
the servo and when PulseGuide was giving the instructions via an
external computer. Since it is highly unlikely that both the keypad
and PulseGuide would develop the exact same bug at exactly the same
time, we are focusing attention on the GTOCP2 servo control box.
* We decided to start by checking out all the items noted in the
first three bullets above and by upgrading the ROM chip to the latest
version - the "E1" for his GTOCP2. The chip upgrade was something Dean
could do himself, and it was a recommended item anyway. Hopefully,
replacing the chip will cure the servo. If the problem does persist,
we will have eliminated most of the potential culprits making the repair
job here at Astro-Physics much easier (and therefore hopefully a bit
cheaper too!).

This has been a rather long narrative, but I thought it might be
instructive for you to see how the problem was approached. Any of you
who follow the group will have seen the posts and will know what has
been going on. I will provide a (much shorter) follow up when Dean's
mount is performing flawlessly again.

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513

________________________________

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dean
Salman" <cluster@...> wrote:

When I use the keypad, sometimes the mount will continue to slew so I
have to press stop. I thought it was the key pad but PulseGuide did
the same thing without the keypad. Someone told me it was in the
controler box. So far I have not seen this using the Sky or CCD
Commander. Anyway thoughts ?

Dean

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

Hi Howard,

I upgraded to the version 4.12 but before doing that moved Pulse
guide on the top serial port and the Sky on the bottom. I connected
Pulse Guide and then the sky. Issue still occurred. I was thinking
how the previous owner had no issue BUT, he was using only one
cable. So I disconnected the 2nd cable and used only one. I can
only connect TheSky or Pulse Guide one at a time, however, the
problem went away including with the key pad. So I shut everything
off and tried again with 2 cables and problem was back. So I swicth
cables using one cable only and issue was gone. So this only happens
when I have 2 cables connected.

A storm moved in so I need to let it pass. Now it is time to remove
the connector and put each cable on its own USB/Serial (the one I had
before was 2 ports on one USB.) Still puzzled why this affects the
key pad but it does. I can't break it with one cable, although a
full nights use is the main test. I did use the 2 port serial
programming the key pad and had no issue, so my guess is the mount
does not like 2 serial ports that move the mount.

Does anyone else have Pulse guide and TheSky setup on 2 serial cables
and can slew everywhere with pulse guide or the keypad.

Again, the issue is when you hold the button down on either pulse
guide or the keypad for at least 20 seconds and let go, it usually
keeps slewing.

It is possible that the com port is not setting the state to off when
the button is release, I know the things are pickly. At this point
my work around is to use one cable. but I will still switch cables
and USB/serial to see if one of those are an issue.

Howard and the AP staff offer fantastic support. I did order the E1
chip as well

--- In ap-gto@..., "Howard" <howard@...> wrote:

Hi Dean and Group,

I spoke with Dean about the issue this morning, and I thought that I
should make a few trouble-shooting comments to the group as a
whole.

astrokattner

Dean,

I have the SKY6 and Pulseguide working on both serial ports, but I
run both serial cables to a 4 port serial to usb converter and then
to my laptop. Never have seen this problem. I have a late model
Ap900.

[...]

sreilly <sreilly@...>

Dean,

How is TheSky configured? Are you using the ASCOM or native driver? I can
see where conflicts can occur if TheSky is connected via native and Pulse
Guide by ASCOM. The proper way to connect would be via a ASCOM telescope
hub. I use ACP as the direct control of the telescope and TheSky with the
ASCOM TeleAPI, Pulse Guide and MaxImDl. Other than ACP, all other telescope
connects are "ACP Telescope Hub". This way all commands are issued directly
to the mount via ACP. All other programs talk to the mount by communicating
through ACP.

Steve

_____

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups. <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Dean

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups. <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Howard"
<howard@> wrote:

Hi Dean and Group,

I spoke with Dean about the issue this morning, and I thought
that I
should make a few trouble-shooting comments to the group as a
whole.

Roland Christen

There are two sets of software, the one in the keypad and the one in the
servo controller. These two are separate from each other and stand alone from each
other. Version 4.12 is the keypad software, but this has no effect whatsoever
on the action between the servo controller and other external command
software such as Pulse Guide and TheSky6.

If the servo controller is not responding to external commands, it might be
because it is being overloaded with requests (such as position requests from
The Sky6). This was a weakness in very early software and was fixed in later
versions of the servo control software (not to be confused with the Keypad V4.12
software). I asked Mike, our development engineer, and here is what he said:

Very early versions of firmware occasionally dropped com port characters if
the com ports kept the mount very busy. I do not recall which version
introduced the fixes. But I recall dealing with Bob Denny, Ray Gralak, and a couple
others on this. Bob e-mailed us "Port Mon" sessions that showed dropped
commands. We also replicated issues with the mount dropping move/stop commands from
the keypad until the software was fixed. The reason the keypad is affected
is because there were brief periods of time that the controller was busy
processing commands from other ports while the interrupts were disabled. If the
controller is "out to lunch" longer than two characters (2.3mS), one character
could be ignored, which could make the entire command unrecognizable and
therefore lost.

Marj might have records that show what firmware versions introduces the fixes
to these problems, we recently discussed revision history of the world.
Otherwise I can look it up later tonight.

If he is ordering an E1 chip, he must have a GTOCP2. I do not recall these
problems with the GTOCP2, but a new chip is the next logical step.

-Mike

Therefore it appears that your mount has some very old version of servo
control software which had problems handling more than 1 input from external
programs. We have basically solved this in later chips, so hopefully this will go
away when you receive the new chip.

This is also something that others should be aware of if they have purchased
a used mount from another individual. It would be a good idea to check the
chip set that is in the servo (easily done by removing the cover plate), as well
as checking the keypad software version. Updating everything is not expensive
and can avoid headaches like the ones in this post.

Roland Christen

In a message dated 8/14/2007 12:14:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
cluster@... writes:

[...]

Thanks for letting me know. I suspect that there is come kind of
configuation issue somewhere. I was almost certain that there was no
issue with the mount itself because of the way the mount was treated
in an observatory home and because it guides perfect as well as slews
in the Sky. I did a couple of e-mails from others with issues using
2 cables, not sure if it was the exact issue, but they gave up on the
2 cables as well.

I have kind of given up on have both connected because there really
is no reason for me to do this now that I have CCD Commander and
plate solveing down. I just need to use pulse guide to initialize
the mount and that is about it. What I do is start from Park 1 and
run a CCD Commander script to move to a star, right now Deneb, and
plate solve. Then sync on the sky. It can't be any easier than that
I have to say.

The 4.12 upgrade did fix an issue in the park I was having and the
upgrade was so easy that I recommend anyone to do that. AP made just
about the best software I have seen to do this and being a software
developer, that should say a lot.

Dean

<howard@> wrote:

Hi Dean and Group,

I spoke with Dean about the issue this morning, and I thought
that I
should make a few trouble-shooting comments to the group as a
whole.

Dean Salman <cluster@...>

I do plan on updating all the chips needed, I think there is a Max
chip or something Howard told me about. I was in line with a new one
but got a good deal for this one, so spending some cash for the
latest stuff is something I do not mind.