From: snightingale40
To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 3:59 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] RS232

Hello,

I'm trying to set up my new computer (with windows vista) to download
the database to my hand controller--it isn't corrupted, but figured I'd
get it up and running if needed in the future.

Anyhow, there is no RS232 jack on the back of this computer and I'm
wondering if it is as simple as getting a USB-serial converter; Radio
Shack shows one for about 40 bucks.

And if I could get my computer to stop asking for an mscomm32 file (it
doesn't seem to believe I've installed it) I'll be in business! (All of
this worked fine on my 10 year old computer!)

Steve

Steve Reilly <sreilly@...>

Guys,

Vista is by most, considered Beta until the first service pack released and
that's not due to come out till 2008. If time and opportunity are key to
you, I would at a minimum, install XP as a second OS and dual boot.
Personally, I'd uninstall Vista altogether and get an OEM XP version for
now, about $90 - 120 depending on where you get it, and wait for Vista to
mature. I do have Vista Ultimate installed on one computer but it can boot
into either Vista, XP 64 or XP32. It's there for testing reasons only.
Telescope time has been rare so far this Summer and I certainly don't want
to waste precious time fixing a broken OS. Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve