600E Temp Operating Range

Jerry Lodriguss

I used my AP 600E GTO mount today to shoot an ISS transit of the Sun...

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/SHOW_DIG/055.HTM

I had planned on doing a daytime polar alignment, and then using the GoTo to find Venus and focus.

But when I arrived at the remote observing site and plugged in the drive and electronics for the mount, the hand controller wouldn't work. The mount tracked, but no hand controller. I unplugged and then plugged in all the cables again, but no luck.

The ambient temperature at the site was 92F, but it didn't work as soon as it came out of the air-conditioned jeep.

When I plugged it in when I got back home, in the garage, it worked.

Is 92F outside of the operating range for the hand controller?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

observe_m13

Are you sure it wasn't working? It can be virtually impossible to see
the display in daylight. You have to shield the display thoroughly and
really work at seeing it. I suspect that it was working just fine. Try
it again in the bright daylight. To check it out, put it at the bottom
of a moderately deep small box and use your head to block the light
from the opening. You should be able to see the display as your eyes
adjust to the 'darkness'.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@..., Jerry Lodriguss <lists5@...> wrote:

I used my AP 600E GTO mount today to shoot an ISS transit of the Sun...

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/SHOW_DIG/055.HTM

I had planned on doing a daytime polar alignment, and then using the
GoTo to find Venus and focus.

But when I arrived at the remote observing site and plugged in the
drive and electronics for the mount, the hand controller wouldn't
work. The mount tracked, but no hand controller. I unplugged and then
plugged in all the cables again, but no luck.

The ambient temperature at the site was 92F, but it didn't work as
soon as it came out of the air-conditioned jeep.

When I plugged it in when I got back home, in the garage, it worked.

Is 92F outside of the operating range for the hand controller?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

Roland Christen

In a message dated 7/8/2007 8:10:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
lists5@... writes:

Is 92F outside of the operating range for the hand controller?
No, that is quite cool.

Any other ideas?
I bet it was working, but you could not read the screen because it was bright
out. The display is not bright enough to see during full sunlight. Try
shading it with a dark cloth during the day.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

Jerry Lodriguss

Hi Rick,

That might be what it was, I will have to try it again today in the sunshine.

I did try to shade it from the sun and cup my hands around it but still couldn't see it.

I did notice that it beeped when I tried to press the west button.

It is very disappointing if this is the reason. Roland is so worried about it working at minus 50 degrees, but it's not usable for solar work in the daytime? That is almost inconceiveable.

Jerry

At 10:37 PM 7/8/2007, you wrote:
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

A Guide to Astrophotography with Digital SLR Cameras
http://www.astropix.com/GADC/GADC.HTM
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Christopher Go

Hi Jerry,

I don't know about the 600E but I have used my AP900GTO at
temperatures of over 100F and almost 90% humidity without any problem! 8)

Regards
Chris

--- In <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>ap-gto@...,

<http://www.astropix.com/HTML/SHOW_DIG/055.HTM>http://www.astropix.com/HTML/SHOW_DIG/055.HTM

I had planned on doing a daytime polar alignment, and then using the
GoTo to find Venus and focus.

But when I arrived at the remote observing site and plugged in the
drive and electronics for the mount, the hand controller wouldn't
work. The mount tracked, but no hand controller. I unplugged and then
plugged in all the cables again, but no luck.

The ambient temperature at the site was 92F, but it didn't work as
soon as it came out of the air-conditioned jeep.

When I plugged it in when I got back home, in the garage, it worked.

Is 92F outside of the operating range for the hand controller?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

see
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto
Yahoo! Groups Links

A Guide to Astrophotography with Digital SLR Cameras
<http://www.astropix.com/GADC/GADC.HTM>http://www.astropix.com/GADC/GADC.HTM
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Jerry Lodriguss

Hi Chris,

And you didn't have any problem reading the display in the sunshine?

Jerry

At 09:51 AM 7/9/2007, you wrote:
Hi Jerry,

I don't know about the 600E but I have used my AP900GTO at
temperatures of over 100F and almost 90% humidity without any problem! 8)

Regards
Chris

observe_m13

If it beeped, it was almost certainly working. I did almost the exact
same thing the first time I tried it outside in the daylight. The only
difference was that I was in my backyard and I had another keypad
available to me. I went and got it and when it didn't 'work' either, I
went back inside and powered up the mount in the basement with the
first keypad where I could see the screen just fine. I went back
outside and after much difficulty managed to get the screen into just
enough shade that I could finally see that it was working.
I really don't know what to say. That is just the way the keypad
screen is, too bright at night even on the low setting and far too dim
in the daylight. For my tastes, there should be four settings with an
ultra- dim setting about half as bright as the current dim is, and an
ultra-bright setting at least twice as bright as the regular power-up
setting is. Some nights when I am fully dark adapted, the display
actually seems so bright that it 'hurts' to look at it. I have cut a
piece of red Rubylith to put over the display but seem to lose it
regularly.

At 10:37 PM 7/8/2007, you wrote:
[...]

Well that's another matter. I had to hide under the hood to be able
to see the display. 8) When I do solar imaging I normally hide in a
hood. I used to be brave before and spent 4 hours solar imaging. I
got heat stroke and almost fainted. I was sick (fever) for almost a week.

Regards,
Chris

At 09:51 AM 7/9/2007, you wrote:
Hi Jerry,

I don't know about the 600E but I have used my AP900GTO at
temperatures of over 100F and almost 90% humidity without any problem! 8)

Regards
Chris

Jerry Lodriguss

Hi Rick,

I just took it outside from the garage, and you were right, it was working, just impossible to see.

Thanks,

Jerry

At 10:37 PM 7/8/2007, you wrote:
[...]

Philip Perkins <ppml2@...>

Hi Jerry,

The handcontroller screen is very hard to read in broad daylight - becomes impossible in bright sunlight. You need one of those hoods that they used in the old days with plate cameras! :-)

This is me trying to set up for Eclipse '99 - nowhere near bright sun but the screen was still impossible to read. Please don't larf *too* loudly! :-)
http://www.astrocruise.com/e99pre3.jpg

Philip
--

At 10:37 PM 7/8/2007, you wrote:
[...]

Wiltshire UK & Luberon France
www.astrocruise.com

Joe Zeglinski

I wonder if something like a small piece of the Rubylith red cellophane laptop
screen cover, we use to preserve night vision, would work equally well on the
pad display in bright sunshine. If so, a snap on filter for the pad would be a
good option, for those doing daytime astronomy.

Joe

lists5@... writes:

Is 92F outside of the operating range for the hand controller?
No, that is quite cool.

Any other ideas?
I bet it was working, but you could not read the screen because it was
bright
out. The display is not bright enough to see during full sunlight. Try
shading it with a dark cloth during the day.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Jerry Lodriguss

Hi Philip,

I'm not laughing at all, I've been under a hood like that also when observing the Sun.

I just didn't realize that I also needed one just to read the hand controller, which, imho, is a major drawback.

Jerry

At 10:37 PM 7/8/2007, you wrote:
[...]

... Who was that masked man
next to his white scope "Silver" :-)

Joe

The handcontroller screen is very hard to read in broad daylight -
becomes impossible in bright sunlight. You need one of those hoods
that they used in the old days with plate cameras! :-)

This is me trying to set up for Eclipse '99 - nowhere near bright sun
but the screen was still impossible to read. Please don't larf *too*
loudly! :-)
http://www.astrocruise.com/e99pre3.jpg

Philip
--