Mach1GTO Questions

s.linhart <s.linhart@...>

Hi Folks!

After several years of abstinence, i wanted to restart my hobby.
4 years ago I sold my G11. I was always happy with it.
So my homemade 8" F/6 Newtonian is looking for a new base.
The telescope weighs about 15kg. (about 20kg-25kg with CCD camera,
finder, aditional lenses etc.) The G11 had no problems with this load.
Will the Mach1
be at least as sturdy as the G11?

Another question:

Are there any photos or drawings with the internals of the mount.
I´m very interested how AP realized the cable feed through System.

Clear Skys

observe_m13

As far as I know there are no drawings of the internals of the
Mach1GTO. There are holes which go through the centers of each shaft
from top to bottom and also exit/entrance ports on the sides midpoint
of each shaft. All bearings and loading surfaces appear to be
contained in the upper half of each shaft.

If you are not already on the AP400/600 list from about 4 years ago,
then you had best sign up now. You will probably have another couple
of years before you get a chance at one.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "s.linhart" <s.linhart@...> wrote:

Hi Folks!

After several years of abstinence, i wanted to restart my hobby.
4 years ago I sold my G11. I was always happy with it.
So my homemade 8" F/6 Newtonian is looking for a new base.
The telescope weighs about 15kg. (about 20kg-25kg with CCD camera,
finder, aditional lenses etc.) The G11 had no problems with this load.
Will the Mach1
be at least as sturdy as the G11?

Another question:

Are there any photos or drawings with the internals of the mount.
I´m very interested how AP realized the cable feed through System.

Clear Skys

observe_m13

Hi Roland,

Speaking about the Mach1GTO and internal cable routing, I have not
been able to get the large polar scope adapter from the end. I don't
recall there being a hole to slip a screwdriver into for some extra
leverage. Is it possible to get one of those knurled adapters as
supplied on the new mounts?

As well, there are a few pics on the AP web site which show how cables
are routed through the mount.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Rick K" <JunkMailGoesHere@...> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

In a message dated 7/1/2007 12:11:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
JunkMailGoesHere@shaw.ca writes:

I have not
been able to get the large polar scope adapter from the end.
What would be the reason to remove this?

Rolando

**************************************
See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

observe_m13

Same reason it was 'knurled' in the latest versions, to make it easier
to pull cables through the mount. As per the New features for 2007 on
the AP web page for the Mach1:

Knurled Grip on the Polar Scope Adapter - We have added knurling to
the polar scope adapter to facilitate easier removal when taking
advantage of the Mach1GTO's innovative "through the mount" cabling
capabilities.

The small hole provided by the removal of the PAS cap is insufficient
to thread through the multitude of cables required by the CCD, filter
wheel, guider and focusing devices. In total there are a minimum of 6
cables to run for this not including the mount motor cables. I had
been draping all these cables outside along the knobs for the
telescope mounting plate but this has caused some difficulties when
they hang up on something. Best place for them is through the end of
the polar axis. I know that I could run them through the side port but
it is just one more kink to try and fish or thread something through.
As it is, if possible, I start at the dovetail plate end, letting
gravity take them down through the mount and then dropping them
straight out the bottom of the polar axis. As of now I have had to
fish them out with a hooked wire. If that entire end cap comes off it
will be coming off whenever I use the mount for photo use.