Is an adapted Losmandy G11 tripod good for an AP900?

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,

Recently, I discovered that my convenient QUICKSET "heavy duty" TV camera
tripod, adapted for the AP900 base, turned out to be very shaky - with all
huge weight of the AP900, counterweights, and 7 inch MAK - in spite of the
tripod's obvious mass. On the other hand, the G11 tripod, which is a "welded
aluminum" superstructure, with large diameter leg pipes, seems to be extremely
solid and stable, in comparison. I think the fact that it is welded, instead
of having articulated bolted on, folding legs (even with a stiffener), makes
the Losmandy tripod uniquely rock solid.

I am reluctant to go for one of the typical telescope tripods now, with
concern for wobble at the leg attachments, etc. I also don't like "tie-rods,
turn buckles" and other ship's rigging on a telescope field pedestal. In fact,
the original plan was to immediately replace my new Losmandy G11 tripod with
my old TV camera tripod - assuming that it easily carried the weight of those
huge olden day cameras. I soon gained new respect for Scott's design.

Before I have a special AP900 to Losmandy tripod adapter machined for me,
I would like to hear any opinions on this approach, hopefully from your
experience with this tripod and an AP900. Actually, I wish AP would have this
"tripod adapter" as part of their Losmandy made OTA adapter product line
(hint).

Thanks for any advice.
Joe

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Joe, I have exactly what you've described and it works great. I have the Losmandy G-11 Tripod with 12" extension and my AP900GTO on top and it doesn't budge. I loosened the tripd knobs that allow the leg extensions to slip right into the main body of the tripd so it sits as low as it will go but there is no vibration and no risk of one leg slipping over time (mine is a permanent set-up).

Stuart

[...]

Thanks Stuart,

That is indeed reassuring.
I had a fear that the several "levels" of screws or bolts could still leave
the assembly shaky - i.e. too many couplings in the stack. In my setup I was
going to use the 3 screws to bolt a machined G11 "transition collar" to a
standard AP, FSA (flat surface adapter), which is then bolted with 6 screws
to the AP900. I may have the 6 holes in the FSA sides milled out with slots,
so that I only need one AP rotating adapter plate, and make it easy to just
"drop and twist" the AP900 onto the stack, the way that Losmandy designed his
G11. I really hate fussing with a pocket full of screws, in the dark, and
cold - even worse if they have washers as well (really dumb approach).

I did have a concern that these two layers, or levels, of screws could
result in a bit of play. However, by your 12 inch solid extension example,
there should be no such problem.

Regards,
Joe