optec tcf s compatibility with edgeport serial to usb converters

mizzou156 <mizzou156@...>

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if there has been compatibility problems with the
optec tcf s focuser and the edgeport/2 rs232 to usb converter? Optec
seems to hint at problems with certain chip sets of various
manufacturer's that produce these serial to usb converters
Thank You again for your previous help. I am now preparing to enter
the arena of astrophotography........scary!.......Mizzou

Paul M

Hi Mizzou,
I've been using the TCF-s and the Edgeport/4 for 4 years without a problem at all. As a matter of fact, the focuser and edgeport seem to be the most reliable and the TCF-s can hold any camera. The 4port version is great since it has room for both of the AP mount's rs232 connections (run TheSky and PulseGuide), and still room for the focuser and one more serial device.

One thing to note I found if you're using TheSky (rs232 connection) thru one of these devices is to change the "cross hairs update frequency" to 2000 ms instead of the 500ms time, so its not updating as often and hogging the pipe. There's probably a better sweet spot, but this has been working for me for years.

cheers,
...paul.

At 2007-06-09 11:44 Saturday, you wrote:

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if there has been compatibility problems with the
optec tcf s focuser and the edgeport/2 rs232 to usb converter? Optec
seems to hint at problems with certain chip sets of various
manufacturer's that produce these serial to usb converters
Thank You again for your previous help. I am now preparing to enter
the arena of astrophotography........scary!.......Mizzou

mizzou156 <mizzou156@...>

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Paul Mortfield <paul@...> wrote:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the input. I will be ordering the optec now, since
there don't seem to be any compatibility problems. I went with the
edgeport/2 and now wish I had the larger unit as you do.
Again, Thank You. This is a great group of people to learn
from, since I am a novice to astronomy and the AP 900
mount....Jerald
[...]

Yves Laroche

Hi Jerald,

On my side, I've experimented serial timeout issue with my 1200GTO mount when using my edgeport/8 with my TCF-S in Automode A or B. The problem seemed to happend when I was using MaxImDL with the focuser's auto tracking function enabled. By default, each time the TCF-S automode function is enabled, the controller box sent data back to the serial port, every one second, to let know the software about temperature and focuser position. These informations produce a lot of traffic jam and block other data to be sent back to other serial port like telescope mount. This traffic jam produce a bad serial link on other serial link and it produced disconnected link. Also, I've set ACP4 polling option to slow but without success.

To solve my problem, I've ordered the last chip upgrade from Optec. The new firmware permit a user to cancel any data from being sent to the serial port when using the automode focuser command. This new command "FQUIT1" solved my serial traffic jam problem.

Yves