From: "mizzou156" <mizzou156@yahoo.com>
To: <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 5:56 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] rs 232 to usb conversion

A big THANK YOU to all the folks that provided input as to how to go
about doing the rs232 to usb conversion. Thanks to you, I was able to
do the conversion and control the telescope from over 100 feet away via
an ethernet connection. I utilized an Anywhere Usb/5 adapter from IO
Gear and their rs232 to usb Edgeport/2 converter. CAT5E cable
(utilized as a crossover cable...not straight thru) allowed me to
connect the computer directly to the Anywhere Usb hub. All firewalls
and wireless connections had to be turned off.......Mizzou

Yahoo! Groups Links

mizzou156 <mizzou156@...>

Hello Joe,
Yea I got to admit that I was surprised that All the firewalls and
the wireless had to be turned off. I spoke with the retailer and he
forwarded me to Digi.com tech. support. We spent quite a while
troubleshooting the problem. I have to also admit that I have not
tried to bring up the firewalls, since I have installed the new
system. One of the firewalls is for a satellite internet
connection. That one has always been a problem for other software
applications. The windows firewall
will allow exceptions, I just haven't tried it.
Since I am using the laptop for controlling the scope, and won't
be using it for internet access, it's not that big of a deal. I just
have a phobia of wirelessly controlling my scope, so I haven't tried.
Seems that a lot of people are having problems going wireless. For
me, the
hardwired ethernet connection is the way to go.
Thanks for your help Joe......Jerald
--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Zeglinski"
<J.Zeglinski@...> wrote:

Hi,

I wonder why you needed to turn off the firewall and wireless.
If the Anywhere USB is Ethernet compatible, then you should be able
to just
add it's address to the current permitted firewall list - (or even
enter a
range of addresses, in Norton Firewall Allowed List).
I'm not familiar with the Anywhere product, so I would be
interested in any
such limitations.

Joe

A big THANK YOU to all the folks that provided input as to how
to go
about doing the rs232 to usb conversion. Thanks to you, I was
able to
do the conversion and control the telescope from over 100 feet
away via
an ethernet connection. I utilized an Anywhere Usb/5 adapter
from IO
Gear and their rs232 to usb Edgeport/2 converter. CAT5E cable
(utilized as a crossover cable...not straight thru) allowed me to
connect the computer directly to the Anywhere Usb hub. All
firewalls
and wireless connections had to be turned off.......Mizzou

Yahoo! Groups Links

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Jerald et al - I am no computer genius but I have ALWAYS had to turn off my firewall for a few minutes to establish my wireless connection to my observatory from the house. Once established, I can turn it back on and everything works but with the firewall up, I cannot "see" the observatory computer. Weird and for the three or four keystrokes to drop the firewall, not a big problem.

Stuart