From: mizzou156
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:12 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] rs 233 to USB conversion

Hello to All,
I'm new to the ap 900 mount and astronomy. Mount works fine, but I
now want to utilized the remote control software of my laptop. The
laptop will be approximately 100ft away from the ap 900 gto, and I
realize that I will have to do a rs232 to USB conversion. Is there a
list of components and their manufacturers which will allow me to
control the mount from that distance?
I am not sure how all of the components will go together to make
this work. I currently have windows xp ver. 2, but no rs 232 port on
the laptop. Starry Night pro ver. 6 and pulseguide software
Any help and direction will be appreciated.... Thank
You,....Mizzou

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Stuart,

Just need to add one warning. To get the Draft-N router range and power
improvement, the old laptop need a matching Draft-N NIC card. In order for an
old laptop to use the new Draft-N host adapter, it also must be running
WIN-XP, since these new cards aren't supported by Win-98/ME etc. If you don't
use XP or the Draft-N matching pair, you get the standard wireless G range
performance. Depending on where in the house the wireless router is situated
you might need a repeater, to get any decent range.

I bought one of the new Linksys Draft-N routers but had just a cheap
Wireless G type laptop host adapter. With the router at the front of the
house, my laptop lost signal as soon as I went out the back door to the yard.
I then set up a cheap "GIGAFAST or BLANC" wireless router which I got during
their $3 Boxing Day sale, and downloaded the new firmware which now allows it
to be used as a Repeater/Router. I parked it on a bookshelf in the back room,
and now I get about 70% signal strength all the way to the back fence about
100 feet beyond the house. The signal repeats just fine from the Linksys
wireless Draft-N version at the front, through several walls and doorways, and
the e house brick wall, to my observing site.

Also, Mizzou, if you decide on staying with serial cable, the official
range was about 50 feet. Any farther you need to use "shielded twisted pair"
cable to get 100 feet or a bit more. After that, you would need an old style
modem repeater for the cable. The other way, if staying with cable, is to do
the RS-232 to USB, then with shielded cables again, use a USB signal booster
device.
I suggest you go with a wireless router, and possibly a repeater, if
necessary. The Draft-N "matched pair" version might eliminate the need for the
repeater, if you are running WIN-XP or (unfortunately) VISTA.

Joe

Mizzou - I'm no computer genius but this might be an alternative to messing
with cables etc. I have an inexpensive laptop in the observatory, also about
100' away, and a wireless card in it which talks to the wireless router in
my house attached to my desktop. It is "wireless N" and reaches the
observatory fine. With Pulseguide you could run the mount from inside your
house and not run wires.

Stuart
I'm new to the ap 900 mount and astronomy. Mount works fine, but I
now want to utilized the remote control software of my laptop. The
laptop will be approximately 100ft away from the ap 900 gto, and I
realize that I will have to do a rs232 to USB conversion. Is there a
list of components and their manufacturers which will allow me to
control the mount from that distance?
I am not sure how all of the components will go together to make
this work. I currently have windows xp ver. 2, but no rs 232 port on
the laptop. Starry Night pro ver. 6 and pulseguide software
Any help and direction will be appreciated.... Thank
You,....Mizzou

Yahoo! Groups Links

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Joe, this is very useful information! I have W2000 on the laptop in the observatory and my system does not perform per the promise on the Wireless-N router box. BUT, it works so I'm okay. I didn't realize that the wireless-N card I bought for the laptop is not working as an "N" card. Rats! I'm using VNC Ultra to operate the laptop from the house computer - totally cool.

The good news (for them what are worried) is that my house computer is running Vista so I'm talking Vista<->W2000 and it is working. I was quite worried this would be a problem.

Also, I learned something about my new windows (glass/metal type, not computer OS). I put my Linksys router in the window sill to have a line of sight to the observatory and it didn't work at all until it was suggested that the window had a metalized layer to keep heat in the house and when I moved it down so that it had to "look" through the wooden walls, everything started working fine!

Stuart

> Mizzou - I'm no computer genius but this might be an alternative to messing
> with cables etc. I have an inexpensive laptop in the observatory, also about
> 100' away, and a wireless card in it which talks to the wireless router in
> my house attached to my desktop. It is "wireless N" and reaches the
> observatory fine. With Pulseguide you could run the mount from inside your
> house and not run wires.
>
> Stuart

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the explanation about the Linksys and windows.

I too found this problem odd - and was very curious why my cheap (G class)
Giagafast wireless router (set up as a repeater), was weaker looking directly
out of the walkout glass doors, than when I moved it above a bookshelf in the
next room (2 feet away). There, it's signal had to go through 2 inches of
Styrofoam insulation and a brick wall (and even an 8 inch cube of solid
Plexiglas that it was sitting in front of!

However, my 1985 sliding door has the old style thermopane glass, not the
inner optical metallic coated "E-Glass" filter, so I still wonder if your
theory holds. Maybe it's just that the two panes of glass, at a specific
spacing, cause the signal of a certain wavelength to get reflected by a
greater amount than going through brick walls.

Joe

> Mizzou - I'm no computer genius but this might be an alternative to
messing
> with cables etc. I have an inexpensive laptop in the observatory, also
about
> 100' away, and a wireless card in it which talks to the wireless router
in
> my house attached to my desktop. It is "wireless N" and reaches the
> observatory fine. With Pulseguide you could run the mount from inside
your
> house and not run wires.
>
> Stuart

Joe, could be a coincidence. I went to the AV store where I bought it, described everything I'd done to get it to work and then the chap stared into space for a second then launched into this line of questions about the windows and how new they were etc. I went back, tried moving it down about 2 feet and voila. So, hardly scientific but certainly pretty darn suspicious.

However, I have fussed with computers long enough to know that nothing is as simple as we want. Other than it deleting my address book and all my favourites today, Vista has been surprisingly stable vs. XP at the same time in its introduction.

Stuart

> Joe, this is very useful information! I have W2000 on the laptop in the
> observatory and my system does not perform per the promise on the Wireless-N
> router box. BUT, it works so I'm okay. I didn't realize that the wireless-N
> card I bought for the laptop is not working as an "N" card. Rats! I'm using
> VNC Ultra to operate the laptop from the house computer - totally cool.
>
> The good news (for them what are worried) is that my house computer is
> running Vista so I'm talking Vista<->W2000 and it is working. I was quite
> worried this would be a problem.
>
> Also, I learned something about my new windows (glass/metal type, not
> computer OS). I put my Linksys router in the window sill to have a line of
> sight to the observatory and it didn't work at all until it was suggested
> that the window had a metalized layer to keep heat in the house and when I
> moved it down so that it had to "look" through the wooden walls, everything
> started working fine!
>
> Stuart

r1300rs

Stuart:

Hello Stuart. I agree, If you want to go totally "wireless" you need to have routers and laptops
running in the "N" mode to get decent response. I've used this setup with Timbuktu remote
control software and all works easily.

But.....if you want better performance and 150-200 foot range or better use an Ethernet to
USB bridge box. For about $100 you can get a 4 port USB box to velcro to the side of your
tripod or mount. This allows you to connect several USB devices such as: the mount (with
serial to USB converter-$20), the CCD camera (mine is already USB), a remote focuser such as
Robofocus, etc. I have a four port so I can run all three and still have one extra.

Then just run a single Cat6e cable (150 is relatively cheap on line) and connect it to the USB
box on the scope to the receiver box (USB to computer) attached to the computer.

Then you can run everything without the usual interference glitches. This is only one
alternative to going wireless but certainly is easy and FAST.

Let me know if you need pictures or part numbers

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Thanks! I have a 4 port USB hub on the mount now and everything goes into that and one single USB to the laptop. The appeal of wireless for me is that the laptop is not that powerful but is good for running the imaging session. The house computer is powerful but inconvenient for running the session. Further, I have to cross my driveway and in winter, heavy snowfalls make it a hassle to run wires to the observatory. Still, I think your suggestion is probably best. I will keep it in mind if trouble starts with my wireless setup. Thanks again!

[...]

Joe Mize

RS1300rs I'm looking to going the wireless rout too. I use GoldeX Serial to USB Converters into a 4 Port ICRON which converts to
Ethernet for a 150ft run. Last year I lost the inside ICRON box and CAT6 cable because of a ground induced surge picked up in
the underground cable run. I'm quite interested in converting to wireless to eleminate surge potentials. What Router Model/s
did you use, and were they affected by IR window film people have been talking about? Thkx...joe :)

GoldeX "http://www.goldxproducts.com/product/show-product.asp?pid=GXMU-1200"
ICRON "http://www.icron.com/products/usb/usb_ranger_110_410.php"

[...]

Joe, in case it helps, I'm using a Linksys WRT300N wireless-n router and a Linksys WPC300N wireless-n Notebook adapter (PCMCIA card). My observatory computer has W2000 Pro on it and the house computer has Vista. Setting up the home network is kind of "follow you nose" but what I found I need to do each time I start up the observatory computer is to turn off my Personal Firewall in Norton for a few minutes while the network gets established and then everything behaves.

Stuart

[...]

Joe, this is VERY helpful - thanks!

Stuart

From: Rick Kuntz <cardiofuse@mac.com>
Date: 2007/05/22 Tue AM 07:48:52 EDT
To: ap-gto@yahoogroups.com

Stuart:

When setting up your "N" network between scope laptop and house
computer did you use PC Anywhere program or how do you access the
screen and run the "scope software". I'm wondering how you do the
computer to computer networking. Thanks.

Rick Kuntz MS, CCT
CEO
CETECH, INC
850-763-8383
cardiofuse@mac.com

Bill <bill20202000@...>

Art,

I am also looking into different solutions for remote operation. In a Tom's Hardware review guide, I read about the Anywhere USB, and mention was made of incompatibility of the multicam drivers with Windows XP being a big problem. Perhaps this is a problem that has been solved.

Have you had any experience in running more than one camera through the system simultaneously, along with other devices? I would be interested to hear if you have found any shortcomings. It seems like you are doing everything remote, through a single Cat5 cable, from a computer which can be at any location in your local network.

I am thinking of (for remote operation) one USB camera like a SBIG (USB 1) or DSI (USB 2) for astrophotography and a webcam to monitor the telescope movement. I would also want 2 serial connections to the AP900 mount.

Any comments appreciated. Bill Braithwaite

I'm more than a little leery of the wireless solution so I took a
different route:

I ran a cat5e cable from my in-house router to my observatory. At the
observatory, I have a digi AnywhereUSB box that allows up to 5
attached USB devices to be transparently accessible from any PC on the
network. Attached to the AnywhereUSB is a digi Edgeport/421 that has
1 parallel, 2 rs232 and 4 USB inputs and one USB output that is
connected to the AnywhereUSB. I also have a digi Edgeport/2c attached
that provides 2 more RS232. So I have a total of 7 USB, 4 rs232 and 1
parallel available.

You may think that that's overkill, but I'll be using all 4 of the
rs232's: 1200GTO, MaxDome, Clarity I, STV from the start. If I need
to add more, I'll just go back to digi (www.digi.com).

I'm adding a Ethernet switch in the observatory so I can simply plug
my laptop into it into the switch when I'm working in the observatory.
It will also allow me to add ??? over IP devices when needed.

Art

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "mizzou156" <mizzou156@...> wrote:

> Hello to All,
> I'm new to the ap 900 mount and astronomy. Mount works fine, but I
> now want to utilized the remote control software of my laptop. The
> laptop will be approximately 100ft away from the ap 900 gto, and I
> realize that I will have to do a rs232 to USB conversion. Is there a
> list of components and their manufacturers which will allow me to
> control the mount from that distance?
> I am not sure how all of the components will go together to make
> this work. I currently have windows xp ver. 2, but no rs 232 port on
> the laptop. Starry Night pro ver. 6 and pulseguide software
> Any help and direction will be appreciated.... Thank
> You,....Mizzou

Arthur M. Schneiderman

Hi Bill:

So far, no problems. I installed the Ethernet switch in the
observatory today and it works fine so I now have additional LAN
connections there. I have the mount, dome control and cloud sensor all
connected via the serial connections and they too work perfectly.
Tomorrow I plan to hookup my STV (via rs232) and upgrade my
router...it turns out that its cheaper to upgrade a router than get
tech support on one that is out of warranty.

In addition to the STV, I will be using an ST10XME, canon DSLR and a
web cam. I also plan to add a video camera and for assuring that the
dome shutter and telescope are in sync, so if there are any problems,
I'm sure to discover them. Also, the tech support people at digi are
excellent so I'll have plenty of help.

I do have a fall back strategy though. When I ran the data cables to
the dome, I used a Belden composite cables so I actually have 4 coax,
4 cat5e and 3 duplex fiber optics lines running from the house to the
dome.

And yes, I do wear a belt and suspenders ;-).

I'll keep you posted,

--Art--

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bill20202000@...> wrote:

Art,

I am also looking into different solutions for remote operation. In
a Tom's Hardware review guide, I read about the Anywhere USB, and
mention was made of incompatibility of the multicam drivers with
Windows XP being a big problem. Perhaps this is a problem that has
been solved.

Have you had any experience in running more than one camera through
the system simultaneously, along with other devices? I would be
interested to hear if you have found any shortcomings. It seems like
you are doing everything remote, through a single Cat5 cable, from a
computer which can be at any location in your local network.

I am thinking of (for remote operation) one USB camera like a SBIG
(USB 1) or DSI (USB 2) for astrophotography and a webcam to monitor
the telescope movement. I would also want 2 serial connections to the
AP900 mount.

Any comments appreciated. Bill Braithwaite

I'm more than a little leery of the wireless solution so I took a
different route:

I ran a cat5e cable from my in-house router to my observatory. At the
observatory, I have a digi AnywhereUSB box that allows up to 5
attached USB devices to be transparently accessible from any PC on the
network. Attached to the AnywhereUSB is a digi Edgeport/421 that has
1 parallel, 2 rs232 and 4 USB inputs and one USB output that is
connected to the AnywhereUSB. I also have a digi Edgeport/2c attached
that provides 2 more RS232. So I have a total of 7 USB, 4 rs232 and 1
parallel available.

You may think that that's overkill, but I'll be using all 4 of the
rs232's: 1200GTO, MaxDome, Clarity I, STV from the start. If I need
to add more, I'll just go back to digi (www.digi.com).

I'm adding a Ethernet switch in the observatory so I can simply plug
my laptop into it into the switch when I'm working in the observatory.
It will also allow me to add ??? over IP devices when needed.

Art

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "mizzou156" <mizzou156@> wrote:

> Hello to All,
> I'm new to the ap 900 mount and astronomy. Mount works fine, but I
> now want to utilized the remote control software of my laptop. The
> laptop will be approximately 100ft away from the ap 900 gto, and I
> realize that I will have to do a rs232 to USB conversion. Is
there a
> list of components and their manufacturers which will allow me to
> control the mount from that distance?
> I am not sure how all of the components will go together to make
> this work. I currently have windows xp ver. 2, but no rs 232
port on
> the laptop. Starry Night pro ver. 6 and pulseguide software
> Any help and direction will be appreciated.... Thank
> You,....Mizzou

5/21/2007 2:01 PM

Barbara Harris <barbharris1@...>

Art,
Is there an advantage to having a digi Anywhere USB box over
attaching all of your devices to a networked computer in the
observatory and controlling that computer remotely?

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "art_schneiderman" <art@...> wrote:

[...]

I would be interested to know if you leave the observatory computer in the observatory all the time. If so, during cold weather, do you have a system to warm the computer up before turning it on.

Thanks, Bill Braithwaite