bluetooth to the mount!

Dick Locke

The skies have not cooperated much since my 900GTO arrived, but it's
been out a couple of times. Yesterday I was able to get a bluetooth
connection going between my laptop and the mount. See
http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm

-Dick Locke

Dennis Persyk <dpersyk@...>

Hello Dick,

Thanks for the informative web page. I was concerned about your
advice regarding "re-synching": "So the strategy is to just slew to
a bright star in the part of the sky you want to be in, re-synch the
mount to that star after you slew, and then you will have good
accuracy in that part of the sky."

I thought sync is applied only to the first star of the session and
Rcal is used thereafter to tweak the mount pointing to a given
sector of the sky. I'm sure Roland will clarify this – it has only
come up about a gazillion times in the past few years I've been on
the list.

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL

New Images http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

--- In ap-gto@..., "dtlnew" <dtlnew@...> wrote:

The skies have not cooperated much since my 900GTO arrived, but
it's
been out a couple of times. Yesterday I was able to get a
bluetooth
connection going between my laptop and the mount. See
http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm

-Dick Locke

Dick Locke

Dennis,

Thanks.

Your description of when synch should be used is consistent with the
instructions. What I was specifically doing was using "The Sky 6"
synch command on the telescope tab of the object information menu.

I have no idea if that does a sync or rcal, or something else!

-Dick Locke

--- In ap-gto@..., "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff Young <jey@...>

Dick --

Did you need to use the BlueConsole's external 9V battery, or was there
sufficient power on the mount's RS232 ports?

-- Jeff.

________________________________

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>

<http://dpersyk.home.att.net>

<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "dtlnew" <dtlnew@> wrote:

> > The skies have not cooperated much since my 900GTO arrived,
but
> it's
> > been out a couple of times. Yesterday I was able to get a
> bluetooth
> > connection going between my laptop and the mount. See
> > http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm
<http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm>

> > -Dick Locke

Dick Locke

I didn't try without the battery yet, but I will this weekend. I
doubt it will work, but I'll let you know...

-Dick Locke

--- In ap-gto@..., "Jeff Young" <jey@...> wrote:

Dick --

Did you need to use the BlueConsole's external 9V battery, or was there
sufficient power on the mount's RS232 ports?

-- Jeff.

________________________________

Your description of when synch should be used is consistent with
the
instructions. What I was specifically doing was using "The Sky
6"
synch command on the telescope tab of the object information
menu.

I have no idea if that does a sync or rcal, or something else!

-Dick Locke

--- In ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>
, "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@> wrote:

> Hello Dick,
>
> Thanks for the informative web page. I was concerned about
your
> advice regarding "re-synching": "So the strategy is to just
slew to
> a bright star in the part of the sky you want to be in,
re-synch the
> mount to that star after you slew, and then you will have good

> accuracy in that part of the sky."
>
> I thought sync is applied only to the first star of the
session and
> Rcal is used thereafter to tweak the mount pointing to a given

> sector of the sky. I'm sure Roland will clarify this - it has
only
> come up about a gazillion times in the past few years I've
been on
> the list.
>
> Clear skies,
>
> Dennis Persyk
> Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
<http://dpersyk.home.att.net>
> Hampshire, IL
>
> New Images http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
<http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm>

> --- In ap-gto@...
<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "dtlnew" <dtlnew@> wrote:

> > The skies have not cooperated much since my 900GTO arrived,
but
> it's
> > been out a couple of times. Yesterday I was able to get a
> bluetooth
> > connection going between my laptop and the mount. See
> > http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm
<http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm>

> > -Dick Locke

Jeff Young <jey@...>

Dick --

Cool. I'll be very interested to find out....

-- Jeff.

________________________________

, "Jeff Young" <jey@...> wrote:

> Dick --
>
> Did you need to use the BlueConsole's external 9V battery, or
was there
> sufficient power on the mount's RS232 ports?
>
> -- Jeff.
>

> ________________________________

<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>
> , "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Dick,
> >
> > Thanks for the informative web page. I was concerned about
> your
> > advice regarding "re-synching": "So the strategy is to just
> slew to
> > a bright star in the part of the sky you want to be in,
> re-synch the
> > mount to that star after you slew, and then you will have
good

> > accuracy in that part of the sky."
> >
> > I thought sync is applied only to the first star of the
> session and
> > Rcal is used thereafter to tweak the mount pointing to a
given

> > sector of the sky. I'm sure Roland will clarify this - it
has
> only
> > come up about a gazillion times in the past few years I've
> been on
> > the list.
> >
> > Clear skies,
> >
> > Dennis Persyk
> > Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
<http://dpersyk.home.att.net>
> <http://dpersyk.home.att.net <http://dpersyk.home.att.net> >
> > Hampshire, IL
> >
> > New Images http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
<http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm>
> <http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
<http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm> >

> > --- In ap-gto@...
<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>
> <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "dtlnew" <dtlnew@> wrote:
> > >
> > > The skies have not cooperated much since my 900GTO
arrived,
> but
> > it's
> > > been out a couple of times. Yesterday I was able to get a
> > bluetooth
> > > connection going between my laptop and the mount. See

http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm
<http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm>
> <http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm
<http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm> >

> > > -Dick Locke

rsampsonus

Hey Jeff,

I also use Bluetooth on my AP1200GTO and with the help of Howard
from AP he sent me the pinout of Com port 1 and Com port 2 and I can
say without a doubt the Bluetooth adapter will not work without a
Power Source. I took an built a little additional circuit (DC/DC Step
down Convertor)to come off the 12.0 Volt input connector where it
mounts to the circuit Board.(Howard was a little concern with me
initially leaching power off any of their current supplies as the
regulator get warm with both servos motors are running, so I opted to
build my own supply) The Convertor gives me 5.0 Volts to run
my "Socket" Bluetooth adapter. Pin # 9 is open per the Pinout of Com
1 that Howard set to me. So I tie the 5.0 volts to pin 9 on Com port
1 to power the adapter.
I am currently running a Pocket PC (IPAQ 2795) with the Sky with
T-point (although I haven't had a chance to generate a pointing model
yet in T-point). The only issue I am finding is running Bluetooth on
the Pocket PC is battery life and I just purchased the heavy duty
battery pack that has twice the standard battery packs capacity. I
will post pictures of design and setup in a bit my personal life is a
little busy currently.

Best Regards and for Gods sake how about some clear
Skies up here in the Northeast during a new moon, Ron S

, "Jeff Young" <jey@> wrote:

> Dick --
>
> Did you need to use the BlueConsole's external 9V battery,
or
was there
> sufficient power on the mount's RS232 ports?
>
> -- Jeff.
>

> ________________________________
>
> From: ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto%
40yahoogroups.com>

wrote:

> > > The skies have not cooperated much since my 900GTO
arrived,
> but
> > it's
> > > been out a couple of times. Yesterday I was able to get
> > bluetooth
> > > connection going between my laptop and the mount. See

http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm
<http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm>
> <http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-
GTO.htm
<http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/AP-900-GTO.htm> >

> > > -Dick Locke

Dick Locke

This weekend I confirmed the Blueconsole adapter needs the 9v battery
to work with the AP mount. I had some interesting guiding with the
900GTO on it's first field trip and will post more details as time
permits...

, "Jeff Young" <jey@> wrote:

> Dick --
>
> Did you need to use the BlueConsole's external 9V battery, or
was there
> sufficient power on the mount's RS232 ports?
>
> -- Jeff.

Jeff Young <jey@...>

Thanks for the report, Dick.

I was hoping for the other answer, though. It would just be that little
bit tidier....

Cheers,
-- Jeff.