Mach1GTO + AP 10" Mak-Cass???

echan1127

Would this work for visual purposes?

The AP 10" is 33 lbs which is within the listed weight limit; but I've
been told "no" by several people. Thought I'd post the question here.

-Evan

Rich N <rnapo@...>

The opinion I would trust would be AP's.

I think as long as the Mach1GTO is on a stable tripod or pier you
won't have a problem for visual work.

Would this work for visual purposes?

The AP 10" is 33 lbs which is within the listed weight limit; but I've
been told "no" by several people. Thought I'd post the question here.

-Evan

homeplanet2006

Check this link to A-P's web site:

http://www.astro-physics.com/products/mounts/mach1gto/performance.htm

With 46 lbs of equipment and 54 lbs of counterweight for
astrophotography, Roland described the mount performance as flawless
in sub-sero (f) temperatures. I agree you should be fine with a
stable base.

--- In ap-gto@..., "Rich N" <rnapo@...> wrote:

The opinion I would trust would be AP's.

I think as long as the Mach1GTO is on a stable tripod or pier you
won't have a problem for visual work.

Would this work for visual purposes?

The AP 10" is 33 lbs which is within the listed weight limit;
but I've
been told "no" by several people. Thought I'd post the question
here.

-Evan

Roland Christen

In a message dated 5/2/2007 6:28:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
echan1127@... writes:

Would this work for visual purposes?

The AP 10" is 33 lbs which is within the listed weight limit; but I've
been told "no" by several people. Thought I'd post the question here.
I have done extensive imaging (and soem visual) with a 10" Meade LX200R, with
attached telecompressor and STL11K camera - total weight about 36lb. The
mount worked flawlessly and very comfortably with that weight. It isn't the
weight, it is the moment arm. A very long refractor with the same weight would
probably be bouncy on that mounting, since it would need to be high up, plus it
would put more torque stress on the gear teeth.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

Roland Christen

In a message dated 5/3/2007 11:29:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
echan1127@... writes:

Given the information you just gave in addition to the above, would
I be correct to assume that YES, the Mach1GTO would be able to
handle the AP10 for visual???
I see no problems with that setup.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

Roland Christen

In a message dated 5/3/2007 11:31:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
steinberg@... writes:

Am I correct in guessing that you are using the 27TVPH telecompressor?

Also, could you give a description of the focuser and imaging train you
use with the LX200R +STL
arrangement?
Yes, I was using the 27TVPH telecompressor. The Meade adapter that I used is
not on our web site yet (will be posted soon). It is model ADASCTLM27. This
threads directly onto the back of the Meade 3" thread. The telecompressor fits
into this adapter and then into that goes the ADA2003 (2.7"-2") adapter, which
allows you to attach any 2" accessory such as the STL cameras with their 2"
nose piece.

Rolando

**************************************

steinberg@... writes:

Also, could you give a description of the focuser
To answer that, I did not have an external focuser with this system. When I
bougth this tube assembly last year Meade did not have any external Crayford
focuser attached. I used the internal (moving mirror) focuser. This method of
focusing is extremely difficult because of the severe image shift. In order to
do successful focusing manually, I had to approach the null focus position only
from one side so that the focus star would remain in the focus window (and
also to avoid losing the guide star). I would slowly creep up to the best focus
position and mark it with a piece of tape. Any time I overshot, I then had to
begin again on the original side of focus. It is impossible to do any kind of
remote automated focusing this way. If that is a requirement, you would need
to attach an aftermarket focuser that can accept larger than 2" accessories
such as our 2.7: telecompressor.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

Richard Steinberg <steinberg@...>

Am I correct in guessing that you are using the 27TVPH telecompressor?

Also, could you give a description of the focuser and imaging train you use with the LX200R +STL
arrangement?

Thanks.
Dick

http://www.aol.com. <http://www.aol.com.>

--
Richard Steinberg
Professor of Physics

echan1127

Thank you Roland. Great to hear from the man himself. I see that
you did testing with the AP155EDFS + imaging equipment with a total
weight of 46 lbs.

Given the information you just gave in addition to the above, would
I be correct to assume that YES, the Mach1GTO would be able to
handle the AP10 for visual???

Thanks

-Evan