questions from a possible 900GTO owner

Dick Locke

Hi,

A couple "dumb" questions from someone looking and the possibility of
moving from a G11 to a 900GTO:

1) Does the current production run of the 900GTO mount "come with"
counter-weights, or are they "a la cart?" Can't find anything one way
or the other on the AP web site.

2) Is is possible to mate a 900GTO to a standard Losmandy G11 tripod?
I haven't been able to find any discussion of mating them so I assume
that's not possible/feasible?

Thanks!

-Dick Locke

William R. Mattil <wrmattil@...>

dtlnew wrote:
Hi,

A couple "dumb" questions from someone looking and the possibility of
moving from a G11 to a 900GTO:

1) Does the current production run of the 900GTO mount "come with"
counter-weights, or are they "a la cart?" Can't find anything one way
or the other on the AP web site.
Ala Carte.

2) Is is possible to mate a 900GTO to a standard Losmandy G11 tripod?
I haven't been able to find any discussion of mating them so I assume
that's not possible/feasible?
Possible with the proper adapter. But that would likely be a custom piece (read as expensive).

Regards

Bill

--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com

ayiomamitis

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "dtlnew" <dtlnew@...> wrote:

Hi,
Hi Dick,

A couple "dumb" questions from someone looking and the possibility of
moving from a G11 to a 900GTO:

1) Does the current production run of the 900GTO mount "come with"
counter-weights, or are they "a la cart?" Can't find anything one way
or the other on the AP web site.
The base price you see is for the equatorial head and counterweight
bar. The counterweights themselves are extra ... and they come in two
flavours.

2) Is is possible to mate a 900GTO to a standard Losmandy G11 tripod?
I haven't been able to find any discussion of mating them so I assume
that's not possible/feasible?
The Losmandy G11 pier has a diameter of 6" whereas the 900GTO needs an
8" pier. However, the Mach1GTO does indeed need a 6" post which makes
this combination an interesting scenario and which I am looking at for
my Mach1GTO which is due.

Anthony.

Thanks!

-Dick Locke

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,

Everything for an AP900 is extra, to make the price easier to take when
you first see it, I suppose. Would be nice if there were a check box order
sheet of "essential items", when you buy their mounts. After all, you have to
have some counter weights, unless the AP900 is for tour snapshot camera, and
you can't just attach it to a stub at the end of the DEC axle :-)
It's sort of having a sit down meal at a restaurant, and asked if you will be
requiring a plate and cutlery.

I'm going to make an G11 pier converter for myself, as soon as the new
AP900 arrives.
Actually, before I got the unexpected notification, I bought a Losmandy G11
Meade MA tripod adapter, which is just the short tube section at the very top
6 inches or so of the standard G11 pier. My intent was to use it on my
favourite tripod head, instead of the standard Losmandy one. Then, get a
second MA for a permanent G11 pier in the yard. I really like the design of
the Losmandy pier top.

Well, I have looked at all the combinations, and decided that the Meade
Adapter (MA), is still a good accessory, with it's Losmandy "drop-in-slot-and
twist" top for a G11. The way I see it, its is a trivial machining task to
make an AP900 to Losmandy MA, "step down, conversion ring" - at most, about 3
inches tall, with the AP's 6 button "post" screws for the bottom of the AP900.
Then, simply tap 3 holes (3/8-16), for the Losmandy optional mount knob set,
on the 8 inch to 6 inch step down ring, to drop into either the Losmandy
tripod, or into the Losmandy Meade tripod Adapter (MA). That solves a lot of
issues, especially if you don't like the AP portable pier style compared to
the Losmandy tripod.

AP should be selling this "trivial" item - they already sell other
Losmandy dovetails and plates.

Joe

A couple "dumb" questions from someone looking and the possibility of
moving from a G11 to a 900GTO:

1) Does the current production run of the 900GTO mount "come with"
counter-weights, or are they "a la cart?" Can't find anything one way
or the other on the AP web site.

2) Is is possible to mate a 900GTO to a standard Losmandy G11 tripod?
I haven't been able to find any discussion of mating them so I assume
that's not possible/feasible?

Thanks!

-Dick Locke

Yahoo! Groups Links

Gjanek@...

any picture, or drawings you could make during construction would be appreciated. My neighbor owns a machine shop.
Thanks Gil

A couple "dumb" questions from someone looking and the possibility of
moving from a G11 to a 900GTO:

1) Does the current production run of the 900GTO mount "come with"
counter-weights, or are they "a la cart?" Can't find anything one way
or the other on the AP web site.

2) Is is possible to mate a 900GTO to a standard Losmandy G11 tripod?
I haven't been able to find any discussion of mating them so I assume
that's not possible/feasible?

Thanks!

-Dick Locke

Yahoo! Groups Links

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Gil,

I did a few quick measurements of my Losmandy G11 mount bottom, and saw
the dimension Drawing of the AP900 Pier Adapter Plate, and see it is easy to
make a "reducing" adapter so that the top of this 2" or 3" tall ring has the
shape and 6 small screw holes - as though this were the top of any AP tripod -
to accept the AP900, then is cut inward, to the shape and dimensions of the
Losmandy head base at the bottom.

Here is a direct link to the AP "Pier Adapter" dimensions document, at
their Tech Support page, under the AP900 list of PDF documents (consider this
the same as the bottom of your AP900, which drops into an AP tripod pipe):

900 Mount Base (Pier Adapter) Dimensions (05-17-00)

The bottom of this plate is the same as the bottom of the AP900 Standard
or Rotating Pier Adapter, which you would be already using on that mount. Have
your machinist make the top 1/2 inch or so it accepts this base. The bottom
of the reducing adapter is just a narrower cylinder with 3 holes to screw in
the Losmandy G11 screws/knobs.
It's like a "gender changer" - female AP900 at the top (like the pipe), and
G11 male at the bottom.

After that, you can treat the AP900 mount as though it were a G11 mount -
for your Losmandy tripod - or with MA option, if you like using the Meade
tripod legs (or any other heavy photographic tripod) with a Losmandy MA bolted
on top of it.
This "reducing adapter" opens up both Losmandy and Meade tripods
compatibility for the AP900.

I assume you have purchased the optional Losmandy knobs - they are so
convenient. You might buy an extra set for your G11 adapter. They make it
soooo easy to just drop the heavy mount straight into it's pier, knobs and
all.
My plan is to make this "coupler as short as possible", so it stays
attached to the AP900 mount (pier adapter) permanently, just like the AP900
actually had a Losmandy G11 mount base. That way, I can simply drop the AP900
directly into my G11 tripod, or into my Losmandy Meade Pier Adapter (MA) -
same thing.

The down side, is that the AP900 mount still needs to fit into your
travelling case - you may have to remove a bit of foam since the Losmandy
adapter remains screwed to the bottom of the AP mount with those 6 permanent
screws. Since I haven't received my AP900 yet, I can still search for a
suitable case for it to fit this modified bottom shape.

NOTE:
If you buy a SCOPEGUARD case for the AP900, they use their own standard AP900
shaped pre-cut foam insert, which won't be cut for that 2 or 3 inch adapter -
and the case might even then be slightly too small (don't know). I plan on
using a suitable Pelican case, and remove the foam cubes myself to fit the end
result.

Since at this point you are just a "possible 900GTO owner" as you say,
then we are in the same boat. I won't start machining until it arrives so the
result can be test fitted to both parts.

Meanwhile, show your friend your current G11 tripod, and give him the
AP900 pier adapter plate dimension diagram, in preparation. It's so simple, AP
should have done this a long time ago, since a lot of AP mount owners are
current or former G11 owners as well. Makes VERY good marketing sense. Heck,
it may even help Scott sell more of HIS tripods, for those like me who don't
like the AP tripods. Then again ... maybe AP doesn't want to encourage
customers buying Losmandy's tripods, and Losmandy doesn't want people buying
AP's mounts instead of his own G11 etc :-)

I'll work on my own sketch for this soon, but I think there is enough data
for your friend's advice already.

Good luck,
Joe

roy <roystarman@...>

Yes everything is extra. AP is pretty good about letting you know that when
you put in your final payment. There are other sources for counter weights
and Adapter plates, Robin Casady comes to mind. E ahs some different stuff
for AP and Losmandy mounts.

_____

A couple "dumb" questions from someone looking and the possibility of
moving from a G11 to a 900GTO:

1) Does the current production run of the 900GTO mount "come with"
counter-weights, or are they "a la cart?" Can't find anything one way
or the other on the AP web site.

2) Is is possible to mate a 900GTO to a standard Losmandy G11 tripod?
I haven't been able to find any discussion of mating them so I assume
that's not possible/feasible?

Thanks!

-Dick Locke

see http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto>
yahoo.com/group/ap-gto
Yahoo! Groups Links

Mal Speer <mal@...>

For the fellow with the Meade tripod: If you buy the AP mounting
plate all you have to do is drill and tap 4 ΒΌ-20 holes in the Meade
tripod top to match the 4 flat mounting holes in AP 900 mounting
plate. I used an AP 900 with a C14 on a Meade Giant field tripod and
it worked great.
Mal

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>
wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

In a message dated 4/2/2007 12:07:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
J.Zeglinski@rogers.com writes:

(1) poking around with a flashlight to get the 4 screws into the fork base &

adapter, during setup
I can do it blindfolded, and so can anyone else. It is not the difficulty
that you make it out to be. By the way, they are hand knobs, not screws.

Rolando

**************************************
See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Mal,

It could be I might be over complicating my desires of "portability"
issues.

First, a correction, Gil and I are hoping to continue using our "Losmandy
tripod"; I introduced the Meade reference, because I intend to use the
Losmandy "MA" option - a Meade tripod adapter. This is normally used to
convert the Meade tripod , or for a permanent post in the ground. That is
convenient, saves making a special mount holder by hiring a machinist.

What I am also trying to avoid on the AP900 field use, is messing with:

(1) poking around with a flashlight to get the 4 screws into the fork base &
adapter, during setup
(2) removing the AP900 RA assembly, by unbolting 4 screws, completely during
take down
(3) risk losing one or more of these screws in the snow or grass
(4) saving time
(5) make it easier to work with cold hands and fingers

With the "reducing adapter" approach, the installation & removal of the
AP900 emulates the Losmandy G11 system:

(1) loosen, but not remove, 3 large bright aluminum, Losmandy optional knobs
(2) twist the RA assembly/"G11 reducing adapter", in the 3 notched holes, and
lift out

Done:
The G11 tripod adapter along with its 3 knobs, all still attached to the
original AP900 RA assembly (including AP900, with fork still bolted down to
its Rotating or Standard adapter, and azimuth/elevation settings untouched ),
is packed away for travel.

Reinstallation on the Losmandy G11 tripod, (or a permanent post with the
MA "G11 to Meade Tripod Adapter"), is a simple drop back down, twist to lock,
and snug up the 3 knobs.
Quick and easy - plus, for short trips between the dedicated back yard
observing spot (post, or pads), and the house, no change of site alignment is
required - quicker initialization.

In your Meade tripod setup, how do you pack up the AP900?
Since the AP pier adapter plate is permanently bolted to the Meade tripod, you
no longer have the option to put your Meade Wedge back on it, if desired, so
it is now a permanent AP900 tripod.
For travel, do you have to remove the 6 tiny button screws around the AP900
Flat Surface Adapter (FSA) plate, and then lift off the AP900 RA assembly? Not
much fun in the dark, and they WILL likely get lost.
Or, do you leave the AP900 "Rotating or Standard Adapter" plate screwed
down to the FSA, but remove the 4 bolts from the AP900 fork base, and pack
that away? Again, the hassle with the complete removal or insertion of those 4
bolts.

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something about the AP900
installation procedures.
I would do anything to simplify and speed up repeatable field setup
procedures, especially when it's very cold.

Thanks,
Joe

For the fellow with the Meade tripod: If you buy the AP mounting
plate all you have to do is drill and tap 4 -20 holes in the Meade

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Rolando,

Good to hear, that it is so easy.
But, I will probably stay with the idea, since I don't need to buy and store,
yet another tripod.

Joe