16" LX200R on an AP1200

Gavin Bray

I'm considering mounting a 16" LX200R on my new AP1200. I believe the
OTA weight is 110 lbs.

By the time accessories etc are added this would be close to the
advertised capacity limit of 140 lbs.

This concerns me and I wonder if anyone can offer any advice as to
whether this would be a suitable match or whether I'd be better with a
14" SCT (70 lbs). The scope would be used for visual work only and
housed in an observatory.

Is the extra 2" going to cause more problems than it's worth?

Thanks
Gavin

ebuehrens

Gavin,

There's a guy named Jeff Young that hangs out on the Astromart
Equipment forum that has exactly this setup. Not sure he's too happy
with the OTA but the mount seems to take the load just fine. You might
want to email him.

Eric

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Gav" <gavbray@...> wrote:

I'm considering mounting a 16" LX200R on my new AP1200. I believe the
OTA weight is 110 lbs.

By the time accessories etc are added this would be close to the
advertised capacity limit of 140 lbs.

This concerns me and I wonder if anyone can offer any advice as to
whether this would be a suitable match or whether I'd be better with a
14" SCT (70 lbs). The scope would be used for visual work only and
housed in an observatory.

Is the extra 2" going to cause more problems than it's worth?

Thanks
Gavin

Joe Zeglinski

Gavin,

Actually, there is a 16" LX200GPS/FC-100 on an AP1200 mount on a permanent
pier, in the PHOTOS section of this group (see the LAST image in the
Miscellaneous folder):

You should contact the contributor "JEYBBALL" - I think it is identical to
your system.

Joe

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Roland Christen

In a message dated 3/30/2007 4:14:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
J.Zeglinski@rogers.com writes:

Perhaps, as a guess, reflecting a laser pointer off the counter weight
shaft,
onto the ceiling or dome, might show the beam angle deflected by tiny bends
of
the shaft.
The counterweight shaft does not rotate on the 900/1200 or Mach1.

Roland Christen

**************************************
See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

Jeff Young <jey@...>

"jeybball" and Jeff Young are the same guy.

It's a long story, but I worked for a Unix company back before the whole
world had email, and so everyone used their initials for their email.
Mine are "jey". I first used Yahoo to manage a fantasy basketball with
a friend -- thus "jeybball". Later, it seemed like too much trouble to
create another account....

In any case, Gavin already found me on CloudyNights (where I go by the
somewhat simpler "Jeff Young").

But to answer the question directly, I'd be very much surprised if the
16" LX200R OTA were really 110 lbs. Meade quotes the GPS version at 120
lbs, but that includes the Dec axis trunions and drive system, which you
won't have. In any case, my 16" GPS OTA weighs on the order of 85 lbs
-- I'd expect the R version to be within 10% of that.

I'm using Parallax rings and the AP 15" ribbed plate, which likely add
another 15 lbs. The dovetail, rings and refractor on top are likely
good for another 20 lbs. Figure 120 lbs all told. I'm comfortable
enough with those weights on it that I'm considering going to a
considerably heavier OTA....

-- Jeff.

________________________________

<mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gav" <gavbray@...> wrote:

>> I'm considering mounting a 16" LX200R on my new AP1200. I
believe the
>> OTA weight is 110 lbs.
>>
>> By the time accessories etc are added this would be close to
the
>> advertised capacity limit of 140 lbs.
>>
>> This concerns me and I wonder if anyone can offer any advice
as to
>> whether this would be a suitable match or whether I'd be
better with a
>> 14" SCT (70 lbs). The scope would be used for visual work
only and
>> housed in an observatory.
>>
>> Is the extra 2" going to cause more problems than it's worth?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gavin
>>

> To UNSUBSCRIBE, or for general information on the ap-gto list
> see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Joe Zeglinski

Glad you are in contact, Jeff.

Just a thought - have you tested shaft and dovetail flexure, which might
increase if you go to an even larger OTA, even if the cradle bolts don't shear
off, first?

I wonder if taking a circumpolar exposure, by rotating the mount quickly,
might show elliptical paths, if there is any sign of flexure on the OTA
attachment.