AP1200 tracking

Roland Christen

In a message dated 2/28/2006 2:56:35 PM Central Standard Time,
adrian@... writes:

Having problems with my AP1200 tonight. Basically every 10 minutes or
so, the mount stops tracking, despite the fact that the mount is powered
(control panel red light on, handset on). Once I touch the west button,
it starts tracking as per normal. It is however, playing havoc with my
imaging tonight ;-(
The mount has a clutch, so that is probably where the slipping is occuring.
If the red light does not turn amber, the motor has not failed because the
internal processor looks to see if signals are coming from the encoder. I would
check to see whether the motor is actually stopping. I bet it is not stopping,
so there is probably no electrical problem of any kind. To see if the motor is
turning, you will need to remove the cover on the small gearbox and look at
the motor shaft. Once you determine that the motor is still turning, then you
can rule out that portion of the system and check whether the clutches are tight
enough. I have had a situation where the clutches were somewhat loose, and
the night was very humid, plus I was somewhat unbalanced toward the east so that
the clutches actually slipped.

In a message dated 2/28/2006 3:27:51 PM Central Standard Time,
adrian@... writes:

Ive added this a few minutes later. What seems to be happening is that
the mount stops tracking for a certain period of time, then the tracking
works again at 2x speed and returns the stars to their original
position??
I bet that you have put some bogus data into your PEM memory and are playing
it back. That would explain the fact that the stars are coming back to their
original positions. Go into the setup on the keypad and turn PEM off, then
check the motor tracking again.

In a message dated 2/28/2006 4:20:10 PM Central Standard Time,
adrian@... writes:

Its odd that PEMPro has worked flawlessly for over a year and all of a
sudden it is playing back a huge PE of probably 10 - 20 arc minutes and
that's without any know intervention on my behalf. Have you any ideas as
to why this might have happened? I do occasionally get the handset
re-setting problem that is due to faulty connections within the handset
(I did clean them about 2 years ago) and wonder if this could in any way
contribute?
PEM is not in the handset. If anything is amiss, it would be in the main
servo box. I will check with Mike to see if there is something in the software
that would allow the PEM to get out of whack over time. It would most likely be
in the PIC chip where the main software program resides.

In a message dated 2/28/2006 5:00:59 PM Central Standard Time,
josephdunning@... writes:

If I turn the worm by hand as when adjusting the gears does the servo
box lose its worm index?
Yes.

Roland Christen

Adrian Catterall <adrian@...>

Having problems with my AP1200 tonight. Basically every 10 minutes or
so, the mount stops tracking, despite the fact that the mount is powered
(control panel red light on, handset on). Once I touch the west button,
it starts tracking as per normal. It is however, playing havoc with my
imaging tonight ;-(

I have deduced so far that it might be the motor cable or motor playing
up and have disconnected, cleaned the connectors and re-attached to no
avail.

Any other thoughts?

Adrian Catterall
Amateur Astronomer
Herts UK
http://www.acatterall.com

Adrian Catterall <adrian@...>

Thanks for the prompt reply. I also thought of the clutch slipping and
double checked the tightness of the locks, they all seemed tight enough.
I also removed the cover on the motor shaft, only too dark to see and I
came inside again! I am basically watching a guiding window via a CCD
camera and see the trailed stars on a 2 sec exposure. To be sure that
that the mount stopped tracking, I disconnected the mount and the
guiding window showed the stars moving in the same direction.

Just after reading your email, something very perculiar happened, the
star movement was in the opposite direction indicating that it is
tracking at 2x sidereal rate. Now this doesn't make sense at all to me
and felt a little embarrassed to post this as it's so odd.

Ive added this a few minutes later. What seems to be happening is that
the mount stops tracking for a certain period of time, then the tracking
works again at 2x speed and returns the stars to their original
position??

And no its not April 1st!

Although the guiding cable is attached, the relays are switched off, I'm
going to disconnect it manually. Perhaps I should switch from Maxim to
CCDSoft?

Adrian Catterall
Amateur Astronomer
Herts UK
http://www.acatterall.com

adrian@... writes:

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Adrian Catterall <adrian@...>

Hi Roland..

I do have PEMPro and uploaded a curve over a year ago and have run it
ever since without any problem, but what you say makes perfect sense.

Since my last email, I closed the SKY which was also running, then
disconnected the guiding cable and still the too and fro tracking
occurs. The motor does indeed stop which would be consistent with your
PEMPro theory. I'll go out in a minute and disable PEM.

Adrian Catterall
Amateur Astronomer
Herts UK
http://www.acatterall.com

adrian@... writes:

Ive added this a few minutes later. What seems to be happening is that
the mount stops tracking for a certain period of time, then the
tracking
works again at 2x speed and returns the stars to their original
position??
I bet that you have put some bogus data into your PEM memory and are
playing
it back. That would explain the fact that the stars are coming back to
their
original positions. Go into the setup on the keypad and turn PEM off,
then
check the motor tracking again.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Adrian Catterall <adrian@...>

Hi Roland..

As a follow up, I have disabled PEM and all is well.

adrian@... writes:

Ive added this a few minutes later. What seems to be happening is that
the mount stops tracking for a certain period of time, then the
tracking
works again at 2x speed and returns the stars to their original
position??
I bet that you have put some bogus data into your PEM memory and are
playing
it back. That would explain the fact that the stars are coming back to
their
original positions. Go into the setup on the keypad and turn PEM off,
then
check the motor tracking again.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Adrian Catterall <adrian@...>

I appreciate its not in the handset, but thought that the re-booting of
the handset could send a signal to the control box. I know this is
unlikely as that is what we do when powering down the mount, but I am at
a loss to explain the alteration to PE.

Any way looks like I need to re-do PEMPro. It was great having a total
PE of 0.5 arc secs!

Adrian Catterall
Amateur Astronomer
Herts UK
http://www.acatterall.com

adrian@... writes:

[...]

Ray Gralak <rgr@...>

Adrian,

You should use PEMPro to check and redo PEM (if needed) every few
months. There was a version of the ASCOM driver a while back that did
huge moves. Make sure you have version 4.1.20, which is on the ascom
site: http://www.ascom-standards.org.

-Ray

Joseph Dunning <josephdunning@...>

If I turn the worm by hand as when adjusting the gears does the servo
box lose its worm index?

Joseph Dunning

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-josephdunningastronomy

adrian@... writes:

[...]

Ray..

I do have ASCOM loaded on my laptop and it probably is an old version
(not sure how you check it, having had a quick look) and it is over a
year that I last used PEMpro, but from memory, I don't think I used the
ASCOM platform. Besides would that explain this sudden change?

Redo PEMPro every few months? That's about the periodicity of clear
skies here ;-)

Adrian Catterall
Amateur Astronomer
Herts UK
http://www.acatterall.com

adrian@... writes:

Ive added this a few minutes later. What seems to be
happening is that
the mount stops tracking for a certain period of time, then the
tracking
works again at 2x speed and returns the stars to their original
position??
I bet that you have put some bogus data into your PEM memory and are
playing
it back. That would explain the fact that the stars are coming back
their
original positions. Go into the setup on the keypad and turn PEM
off,
then
check the motor tracking again.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Adrian Catterall <adrian@...>

No, so long as the worm remains engaged with the gear and motor.

Adrian Catterall
Amateur Astronomer
Herts UK
http://www.acatterall.com

adrian@... writes:

[...]

mogulskier_groups

Perhaps double-check the North/South hemisphere switch

Dave

adrian@... writes:

[...]

aaeejmh

Hi Adrian,

The symptoms you describe do not sound like the PEM waveform merely got out of sync
with the actual worm position as this would not explain the stopped or 2x tracking.
"Clobberring" a few data points on your curve would not explain it either as each point
represents much less than a (time) second. If PEC record got turned on without you
realizing it, the symptoms are explainable. Use of the N-S-E-W buttons to manually
navigate without realizing the mount is trying to record a PEM waveform can result in the
behavior you describe when the resulting rogue waveform is later played back.

If you are unable to re-record and properly play back a new PEM waveform, then there is
something more going on.

-Mike Hanson

adrian@ writes:

[...]

Opps, sorry, learn something every day!

Adrian Catterall
Amateur Astronomer
Herts UK
http://www.acatterall.com

josephdunning@... writes:

If I turn the worm by hand as when adjusting the gears does the servo
box lose its worm index?
Yes.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Adrian Catterall <adrian@...>

Mike..

I would agree, only I would never slew at 2x sidereal for around 30
seconds, I would much prefer to slew at a faster speed. Besides, I
rarely touch the NSEW buttons, apart from a little tweak to center an
object for imaging and this must of course happened at my last imaging
session in January. Perhaps there is a knowledgeable beat in my back
garden :-)

I wont play with PEMPro until there is a clear sky and full moon, hate
to waste dark clear skies!

Adrian Catterall
Amateur Astronomer
Herts UK
http://www.acatterall.com

adrian@ writes:

[...]

Bob Denny

Adrian Catterall:
I do have ASCOM loaded on my laptop and it probably is an old version
(not sure how you check it, having had a quick look)
Start menu, ASCOM Platform, Platform Version