Finding doubles with GOTO

thefamily90 Phillips

This is probably a dumb question and I apologize if so. I had a 1200
QMD mount, which I used for finding double stars. It was connected
to an NGC-Max. By using the "display coordinates" key I could move
the scope by hand to doubles on a list by coordinates. I have
replaced the QMD with a QOTO mount. I see that you can put in
coordinates for an unlisted double and it will slew to it. But, is
there a way to display the RA and DEC coordinates and slew to
doubles by reading the coordinates as you slew? This would allow you
to go down a list of doubles in a small area of the sky without
having to type in the new coordinate each time. Thanks very much for
any help.

Jim

Steve Reilly <sreilly@...>

Jim,

If you have TheSky, link your telescope to the program and use the
Digital setting circles under telescopes. This will put the display on
your computer screen.

Steve

This is probably a dumb question and I apologize if so. I had a 1200
QMD mount, which I used for finding double stars. It was connected
to an NGC-Max. By using the "display coordinates" key I could move
the scope by hand to doubles on a list by coordinates. I have
replaced the QMD with a QOTO mount. I see that you can put in
coordinates for an unlisted double and it will slew to it. But, is
there a way to display the RA and DEC coordinates and slew to
doubles by reading the coordinates as you slew? This would allow you
to go down a list of doubles in a small area of the sky without
having to type in the new coordinate each time. Thanks very much for
any help.

Jim

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Roland Christen

In a message dated 7/6/2003 7:43:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
thefamily90@hotmail.com writes:

I see that you can put in
coordinates for an unlisted double and it will slew to it. But, is
there a way to display the RA and DEC coordinates and slew to
doubles by reading the coordinates as you slew?
If you have any of the version 3 software installed on the keypad, simply go
to the Objects menu, press the > button and you will see the RA and Dec
co-ordinates of your current position displayed.

You can also find doubles uing the ADS ouble star catalog in the keypad. Go
to the double star catalog by pressing the # 6 = More button.

In a message dated 7/7/2003 10:13:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
sreilly@direcway.com writes:

Hey Roland,

Will this show a changing display as the scope is moving from one point
to another?
Yes, of course. It acts as a digital setting circle.

Roland Christen

thefamily90 Phillips

Hi Steve,
I do not have TheSky. Perhaps I should consider that. What I'm
interested in doing is going down the list of doubles in a
constellation using the chart in The Deep Sky Observer's Guide (or
using the 2000 coordinates in the back of Webb's Celestial Objects
for Common Telescopes). Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

[...]

Thanks Roland,
The ADS database is excellent and I do use it. But occasionally I
like to observe a more detailed list. Your suggestion will be a
great help. thanks!

Jim

I see that you can put in
coordinates for an unlisted double and it will slew to it. But,
is
there a way to display the RA and DEC coordinates and slew to
doubles by reading the coordinates as you slew?
If you have any of the version 3 software installed on the keypad,
simply go
to the Objects menu, press the > button and you will see the RA
and Dec
co-ordinates of your current position displayed.

You can also find doubles uing the ADS ouble star catalog in the
keypad. Go
to the double star catalog by pressing the # 6 = More button.

Roland Christen

thefamily90 Phillips

Exactly what I was hoping. Terrific!

Jim

:

Hey Roland,

Will this show a changing display as the scope is moving from
one point
to another?
Yes, of course. It acts as a digital setting circle.

Roland Christen

Robin Casady <Robin@...>

However, you cannot unlock the clamps and manually slew the scope. You have to use the motors to move the scope.

Regards,
Robin
Astro Accessories from RobinCasady.com
http://www.robincasady.com/Astro