155EDF and Traveler on the 900GTO

daniel@...

While waiting for notification on the 900GTO mount, I am pondering
what will be the best way to attach both my 155EDF AND Traveler to
the mount.
Experience tells me to keep both instruments as close to the mount's
center of gravity as possible in order to reduce wind load and
counterweight. This means putting the telescopes closely side by side
on the same mounting plate. However, I did not find any accessory
plate that will allow for this "double barrel" configuration (maybe
because the width of the combination will interfere with the mount or
pier in some situations?)
On the other hand, with the Traveler riding "piggy-back" on the 155,
the distance between the 155EDF rings (65RING) on the 900RP ribbed
plate as seen in pictures, seems excessive for any existing accessory
plate/sliding bar configuration. And: will the Traveler's weight so
far out require counterweights that will push the set-up beyond the
900GTO's handling capabilities for imaging?
Anybody with experience - thoughts - solutions re. this subject?

bert katzung <katzung1@...>

Hi Dan:
I use the Losmandy side-by-side plate on my 1200GTO. Expensive but works
very nicely for a 130 EDF plus the 80 mm f11 guidescope. There is enough
room for larger scopes on both sides. I had the GTO equipped by A-P with a
Losmandy saddle so that it would accept the side-by-side directly.
Bert

Bert Katzung
katzung1@...
www.astronomy-images.com

[...]

Roland Christen

In a message dated 3/19/2001 2:54:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
daniel@... writes:

And: will the Traveler's weight so
far out require counterweights that will push the set-up beyond the
900GTO's handling capabilities for imaging?
No problem for that mount. Load it down, it gets more stable.

Roland Christen

Larry Denmark <kldenmark@...>

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:53:59 -0000
From: daniel@...

While waiting for notification on the 900GTO mount, I am pondering
what will be the best way to attach both my 155EDF AND Traveler to
the mount.
Experience tells me to keep both instruments as close to the mount's
center of gravity as possible in order to reduce wind load and
counterweight. This means putting the telescopes closely side by side
on the same mounting plate. However, I did not find any accessory
plate that will allow for this "double barrel" configuration (maybe
because the width of the combination will interfere with the mount or
pier in some situations?) <<

Hi Dan,

See: http://www.kldenmark/towardsinfinity/equipment/equip.html

I have an AP 1200 GTO, not a 900, but I use the Losmandy side-by-side with a
12.5" RC and a Starfire 130 mm EDF, plus a TAK FS-60C (not shown in the
pictures), plus ten pounds of cameras and 5 pounds of declination axis balancing
weight. The RC weighs 50 lbs. and the 130 mm Starfire weighs 15 lbs. The Tak
weights only a pound or two. Hopes this gives you some idea.

Larry
--

daniel@...

Hi Bert,
Thanks for the valuable input. One question re. the loading: with the
130EDF plus the 80mm f11 guidescope your 1200GTO must have lots
of "reserve" left. Are you using another (bigger)telescope on the
1200GTO?
My 155EDF plus Traveler OTA's together weigh in at about 15kg, which
with 5kg of visual/imaging accessories still is way below the load
handling capacity of the 900GTO. Or do you think 1200GTO is the
better way to go? Like for most of us, portability is important to
get to my dark site (about 2 hours from Santiago/Chile) - at least
until I retire and can live at a dark site up north ;-)
Daniel

--- In ap-gto@y..., "bert katzung" <katzung1@h...> wrote:
[...]

John J. Kasianowicz <surpher@...>

HI Daniel,

Compared to the 1200 AP mount, the 900 is a much lighter load to carry and
to heft atop a portable pier. Unless you need the extra weight and torque
capacity (consider any larger scopes you might purchase in the future), the
900 may make more sense for your application.

Best,
John

[snip]

Larry W. Denmark <kldenmark@...>

--- In ap-gto@y..., "Larry Denmark" <kldenmark@w...> wrote:
Hi Dan,

See: http://www.kldenmark/towardsinfinity/equipment/equip.html
Sorry group... ATT is having server problems AGAIN and the above link
is currently out of service - although, based upon past ATT glitches,
it should be up sometime today.

(Those of you thinking about using ATT for you web host TAKE NOTE
<g>).

Larry

bert katzung <katzung1@...>

Hi Dan:
Yes, the 1200 is definitely overkill for the 130 EDF. I got the big mount
because I will be getting a 12.5 inch RC soon. (I may try the RC + 130 EDF +
guidescope all together on the 1200!) For your 155 + traveler, the 900
should be plenty. And you're right: the 1200 is not very portable!
Bert

Bert Katzung
katzung1@...
www.astronomy-images.com

Thanks for the valuable input. One question re. the loading: with the
130EDF plus the 80mm f11 guidescope your 1200GTO must have lots
of "reserve" left. Are you using another (bigger)telescope on the
1200GTO?
My 155EDF plus Traveler OTA's together weigh in at about 15kg, which
with 5kg of visual/imaging accessories still is way below the load
handling capacity of the 900GTO. Or do you think 1200GTO is the
better way to go? Like for most of us, portability is important to
get to my dark site (about 2 hours from Santiago/Chile) - at least
until I retire and can live at a dark site up north ;-)
Daniel

Jeffrey Gortatowsky

One might note that that nice picture of M42 in the current S&T was taken
with a 12 inch on a 900GTO.

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

Hi Jeff,

I believe Bill used a 1200GTO with his 12.5" RC for that shot (he
also has a 900GTO).

-Ray