Mount capacity

Mike Fiest <mfiest@...>

Could anyone tell me the capacity in lbs for the 400 gto and the 600e gto?

Greg Mueller <mueller@...>

I have a friend that uses a 600 (not goto) and it carries a AP 5" and an AP 80mm guide scope, 35mm camera and ST4. We figure it's at it's
limit.

Mike Fiest wrote:

Could anyone tell me the capacity in lbs for the 400 gto and the 600e gto?

==
Greg Mueller Port Gamble, Washington
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Visit my homepage!
http://users.silverlink.net/~mueller/
Technicians Tools and Hobbyist Gizmos
http://www.muellersatomics.com/
==

Robin Casady <GoTo@...>

From: "Mike Fiest" <mfiest@msn.com>

Could anyone tell me the capacity in lbs for the 400 gto and the 600e gto?
I use a 600EGTO. It handles an AP 130 f/8 and (but not at the same time) a
Takahashi TSC 225 (f/12 SCT just slightly under 9" aperture). The 600 is not
up to handling the AP 10" Maksutov-Cassegrain.

What a mount will handle depends on your application. Are you doing CCD
imaging, film imaging, or just visual observing? Although imaging needs a
more stable mount than visual observing; using a mount at its capacity limit
is less satisfactory for all uses.

Robin Casady
http://www.CarmelCoast.com

Casady & Greene, Inc.
http://www.casadyg.com

Todd Gross <toddg@...>

yes, I just sold my 600 and am trying to get a 900 since the ap155 just
barely was comfortable on it, and I need more versatility
for the potential of certain 7" and/or heavier 6" refractors

Mike Fiest wrote:

Could anyone tell me the capacity in lbs for the 400 gto and the 600e gto?

Mike Fiest<br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at <a

==
Greg Mueller Port Gamble, Washington
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Visit my homepage!
http://users.silverlink.net/~mueller/
Technicians Tools and Hobbyist Gizmos
http://www.muellersatomics.com/
==

Chris Spratt

I hope the AP600E GOTO can handle my new 9.25" OTA SCT and a CCD (ST-
7E) as others have indicated it should. I will be really ticked if
the mount can't handle this load!

For now the 600E holds my C8, dew-shield Orion 80mm F/5 refractor, ST-
7E and assorted rails etc. okay. I can usually get 100-120 second
unguided CCD exposures with this setup.

Joe Jones

I have imaged with the 400GTO, pier, 130 EDF, 60 mm guidescope and Pentax 67
in a very light wind without problem. I used the same mount visually for a
few weeks with a 155 EDF (4" focuser) and 24 pounds of counterweights with no
problems, again in light-to-no wind conditions. Joe Jones (Miami)

Robin Casady <GoTo@...>

I use a pair of 8mm Radians with the binoviewer. I have no trouble with them
when producing around 420x in a Tak TSC 225. Nor is there any problem when
used with an AP 130 f/8 with a BARCON lens to produce about 325x (if my
calculations are correct).

The Radians are not as clear as the Zeiss Abbe Orthos; the 10mm is my
favorite. However, they are, IMO, better than a Takahashi LE 7.5mm that I
used to own.

Robin Casady
http://www.CarmelCoast.com

Casady & Greene, Inc.
http://www.casadyg.com

From: mike@eagleriver.com

I know there's alot of obvious reading out there about the optimum
eyepieces to try for binoviewing, and I've done my share of reading.
(Todd Gross, scopereviews, saa archives, etc.).

Nothing I've seen really talks much about experiences using Radians
in the AP binoviewer.

The Radians have worked real well for my eyes and my eyeglasses, and
I'm very curious about how they work in the AP binoviewer and how low
in the Radian line you can take it and still enjoy comfortable
viewing.

I am also curious about the Tak LE line, but it seems their eye
relief is bad across the entire line for eyeglass wearers.

thanks for any insights,
Mike

Robin Casady <GoTo@...>

Oops, I got the lists confused in a flurry of personal responses. That was
supposed be a rely to:

[ap-ug] Newer Binoviewer Eyepieces

Robin Casady
http://www.CarmelCoast.com