Chip for 1200-GoTo

Roland Christen

In a message dated 3/10/2001 11:31:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
eroelmx@yahoo.com.mx writes:

I am having trouble with the tracking, PEC and goto.
Thanks,
In what way are you having trouble with the tracking, PEC and Goto? The new
chip does not change these functions. Are you properly polar aligned? If not,
you will not track accurately in RA or Dec, and your Goto accuracy will be
poor. PEC will also not correct RA drift due to poor polar alignment.

Roland Christen

eroelmx@...

Roland:
I own one of your 1200 GoTo mounts, I would like to know about the
new chip, I am having trouble with the tracking, PEC and goto.
Thanks,
Eric.

eroelmx@...

eroelmx@y... writes:

I am having trouble with the tracking, PEC and goto.
Thanks,
In what way are you having trouble with the tracking, PEC and Goto?
The new
chip does not change these functions. Are you properly polar
aligned? If not,
you will not track accurately in RA or Dec, and your Goto accuracy
will be
poor. PEC will also not correct RA drift due to poor polar
alignment.

Roland Christen
Roland:
I have the mounting very well polar aligned, I have it permanently
mounted on a pier at the observatory. Also the OTA is orthogonal with
mounting axes. Several months ago, I wrote Marjorie explaining her
what my problem is, but gladly I will explain it again.
1.- When you try to track a Star using sidereal speed, the star keeps
wandering my reticule center (My scope has a 5000 focal lenght), so
with the 12.5 mm. reticule we are taking about 400X, it shows a
periodic error plus the Star drifts slowly away.
2.- When I try to train manually the Pec at this power, the trained
tracking is worse than with the PEC off, I have retrained it many
times but with no correction, I have even tried an St-4 guider for
training, I have trained my 12"LX200 with it and it tracks very good.
3.- When I image planets at the prime focus (5000mm), I use an HX516
ccd camera. I have used the solar tracking speed, though the sidereal
speed works better. When you center the image, the planet starts
drifting right and left (periodic error) until finally the planet
slowly drifts away after 15 to 20 minutes. I have tried the PEC but
it tracks worse, so I am sticking to the sidereal tracking speed.
I also have the Digital Voice and works very good, but not the
tracking.
4.- When I use the Go-to function, I put a 45mm or 50mm eyepiece to
get around 100X to 111X and a wider field of view. I put the clock on
time and because the mount is permanently fixed, I just go to a Star
(not Planet or the Moon) and make a recalibration, just check that
the telescope was not moved since parked, I do another goto to a near
object, usually is in the field, then I center it and hit the
recalibrate button, then the object begins to move very slowly if I
keep the button on, so what I do is just hit rapidly the recalibrate
function and then the Menu.
Then if I go to another object, most of the time I will not find it
in the field.
Marjorie told me thatt he new chip would fix my problem, so that is
why I found this e-group web and wrote you.
My mounting has the electronics on top of the R.A. axis with the
plugs facing south, I think the new model looks up.
So as you see I have some problems with my mount, hope you can help
me fix them.
I send my best regards,
Eric Roel.

eroelmx@...

eroelmx@y... writes:

[...]

I forgot to tell you that in #4.-, when I do the first or subsequent
recalibrations, if I keep the button on the object it moves step-like
and very slowly. When imaging the Moon, the tracking error is much
worse than with Planets and Stars, even using Lunar tracking speed,
actually it looks like there is no difference using any of the
available tracking speeds. I use 600 for slewing, that way the motors
do not wear too much, aside of that the mount is free, the dampers
are well tightened as not to stop the axes but just enough to have a
nice soft feel. I always do a drift align every month or so, so I can
tell you that the mount is well polar aligned.
In the same observatory I have a 12"LX200 and one of your 6"
f/12 "Superplanetary" triplet refractors, mounted on an HGM-200
equiped with the "Gemini" goto system, both telescopes can track
incredibly well, even that the LX200 has toy electric motors (tough I
did make the axes orthogonal using a laser, changed the declination
teflon bearings for needle bearings, took out the image shift using
bearings and taking the mirror flop out), the Gemini tracks like
anything I have ever seen, it keeps the object for hours without
drifting at all, before the Gemini installation it step-tracked. That
is why I expect much more from your flagship mount, now I just use it
for Moon and Planetary imaging using sub second integrations due to
the poor tracking. Hope this helps to see what is wrong.
Thanks, Eric.

Roland Christen

In a message dated 3/10/01 7:13:33 PM Central Standard Time,
eroelmx@yahoo.com.mx writes:

<<
> > I am having trouble with the tracking, PEC and goto.
> > Thanks, >>

Ok, after reading your other two emails, I believe you have trouble with the
tracking, pec and goto. But you give me no information to make an accurate
diagnosis of your problems. Obviously, if all our mounts had this trouble, we
would not sell any. On one hand, I can probably explain everything you see on
improper setup, without blaming the mount at all, which would maybe not be
correct. I am not there, so I cannot check things out for you. You will have
to be my eyes and ears, and tell me what you see based on waht I tell you in
this Email and following ones.

1. It is easy and tempting to explain all faults by saying something is wrong
with the chip. That may or may not be the case. As an example, in an
automobile, there is a chip that controls a lot of functions. Let's say the
car runs rough and also won't go straight down the road, instead keeps
heading for the ditch. A good mechanic would check out the spark plugs and
wires, and also the wheel alignment, tire pressure, and perhaps ask if the
driver really had his hands on the wheel while driving. So, for now, lets
forget about changing the chip, and try to weed out the herrings from the
mackerel.

2. The mount won't rack the Moon. Well, I would expect that. The Moon does
not have one tracking rate, neither does it track parallel to the earth. I
have done a lot of lunar photography, and can tell you that you cannot track
the Moon accurately with any kind of mount without changing the altitude and
azimuth alignment. The Moon is a special case, that is not adequately covered
in any book that I know of. It would seem that one could dial in a lunar
rate, and the Moon would stay still in the eyepiece. At low power, yes. At
high power, not at all. The Moon's distance from the earth varies from day to
day, so the rate at which it moves from east to west varies also. There is no
one lunar rate. The Moon also moves up and down in its orbit, sometimes beign
high in the sky, other times being very low. The Moon's orbit is not parallel
to the earth, so simple polar alignment will not follow the Moon's motion.
There will always be declination drift, as the Moon moves between its
northern and southern nodes. If you want the Moon to stay still at high
powers, you will have to radically change both the elevation of your polar
axis, and the azimuth angle. Otherwise, it will slowly drift away in your CCD
camera field. I do this whenever I want to precision high resolution
photography of the Lunar surface. One would think that the dec drift could be
counteracted by following it with the dec motor. This is difficult to do
smoothly because there is a limit to how slowly a servo motor can be run
before it becomes almost stepper like in its action. The drift in Dec and RA
is many times slower than the sidereal rate ( varying between 3 to 20 times
slower), that no single motor circuit can be built to smoothly and accurately
follow this motion, and also slew at 1200 times sidereal. The mount would
have to have 2 sets of motors, one for slewing, and one for very slow
motions. This means 4 gears etc.

So, at this point, I say that the Moon is a special case, a red herring, so
to speak, that is not the fault of the mount, no matter how much you like it
to be.

3. Slow RA drift. In 99% of the cases where a mount will not follow the stars
for a period of time, the person did not polar align it properly. Do you
understand that this can be the case? In fact, one way TO polar align a mount
is to monitor the RA drift over time, and correct the altitude angle of the
polar axis. Did you do this to the 1200 mount? The mount cannot do this by
itself, it is somethign the user must do. Please do not rely on the Polar
routine in the keypad, it is only approximate. At the powers you are using
your telescope, you must drift align. Did you drift align the Polar axis?

4. Slow Dec drift. Same thing applies here. A slow dec drift is always caused
by the azimuth axis being aimed wrong. The dec axis will not "drift" due to
faulty motors or chips, the motors are not turning in the dec axis, unless
you want to go somewhere else.

5. The GOTO does not accurately place the object in the field of view. If the
mount is not polar aligned, I would expect exactly that. Also, what affects
GOTO accuracy on a German mount is the degree to which your telescope is
orthogonal to the polar axis.

6. The PEC will not "fix" the star drift. If the mount is not properly polar
aligned, I would expect that too. PEC is not intended to fix drift due to
polar misalignment. It is ONLY intended to counter the slow periodic back and
forth motion due to worm gear error. Do you understand why this is so, and
why you cannot use PEC to "fix" polar misalignment drift?

If we can agree on the above, an it makes sense to you, we can proceed to
what could perhaps be possible problems with the mounting.

7. Let us assume that you have polar aligned the mount properly, but the
mount will not track a star for more than a few minutes. Now we need to see
whether the motor is actually turning. Using the crosshairs of a reticle
eyepiece, can you determine the drift rate? Is it 15 arc seconds per second?
If so, the RA motor is totally stopped. You can see for yourself very quickly
by removing the motor gear cover (the one with 6 small screws) and see if the
motor shaft is turning. Is the motor shaft turning?

Perhaps the motor is turning, but doing so in an erratic manner. This can be
caused by the worm gear being jammed into the worm wheel. Although we do
everything possible to adjust the worm mesh, do to shipping mishandling we
cannot always guarantee that the worm will not be forced into tight mesh
because of some heavy blow the package received while being dropped out of
the airplane onto the tarmack below. How do you check this? It is exceeasy.
There is one gear in the motor gear train that is attached by a screw. Remove
the screw, and pull the gear out. Now the motor runs free without any load.
Now you can also check the worm pressure with your own fingers. Simply turn
the little spur gear that is attached to the end of the qworm. Does it move
smoothly, or do you need an Olympic wrestler or long crow bar to turn it? If
it does not turn freely and smoothly, there you have your problem of the
erratic motion. To fix it, you simply have to adjust the worm tension. But
before you do that, you need to answer all the above questions so I can get a
better idea of where your mount might be at fault.

8. There is a very slight chance that the drive rate of the mount is not
correct due to a faulty motor drive circuit, but this is highly unlikely. If
it is, there are a few things you can do in the control box to trace this
down, but I would rather rule out all mechanical things first.

I hope this gives you enough information to start your analysis. Please check
these things out, and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to write to
me.

In a message dated 3/12/2001 12:44:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
eroelmx@yahoo.com.mx writes:

I do not know if it is normal that when recalibrating and keeping the
button on, the mount moves very slowly and in step like manner in RA,
so please let me know.
I don't know what you mean by keeping the button on. Are you depressing the E
or W button in 1x? in .5x? or in .25x? or 12x? or what? In any case, pressing
the E-W buttons should cause the star to move smoothly east or west at the
guiding rates. If you do not depress the button, does the mount track the
star at all? Or is there a jerky back and forth motion?

Roland Christen

eroelmx@...

--- In ap-gto@y..., chris1011@a... wrote:
In a message dated 3/10/01 7:13:33 PM Central Standard Time,
eroelmx@y... writes:

<<
> [...]

of the
erratic motion. To fix it, you simply have to adjust the worm
tension. But
before you do that, you need to answer all the above questions so I
can get a
better idea of where your mount might be at fault.

8. There is a very slight chance that the drive rate of the mount
is not
correct due to a faulty motor drive circuit, but this is highly
unlikely. If
it is, there are a few things you can do in the control box to
trace this
down, but I would rather rule out all mechanical things first.

I hope this gives you enough information to start your analysis.
Please check
these things out, and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to

O.K.Roland:
I will go step by step per your instructions. I do not blame the
chip, but actually the 1200 mount looks so impressive and rugged,
that I never even thought of a mechanical problem concerning the RA
gears. I will open the gear case to find out if it has a hard spot,
on the other mounts I have found those problems and fixed them qquite
easely.
As for the Moon, yes I know of the difficulties in tracking that
object due to the inherent movements an specially the declination
drift, but what I meant is that it was worse than the normal scenario.
I drift align using the normal procedure and sometimes the one Chuck
Vaughn uses, with a Star 20º N of the equator. After careful
aligning
using a 9mm or a 12.5 reticule eyepiece with sometimes a barlow, I
can wait for up to one to three hours and then check if the Star
still is in the E-W reticule line, then I assume it is well polar
aligned. I have never aligned the mount with the Hand Pad, what I
have done is to advance the time to get an orthogonal check with the
OTA on both sides of the meridian, so I know my telescope is as near
perfect as possible in orthogonalism.
I also know that the PEC just corrects the periodic error in the RA
gears, that is why I mentioned a "Right to Left" oscillation in the E-
W axis, I don´t expect to correct declinatio drift nor polar
misalignment.
I do not know if it is normal that when recalibrating and keeping the
button on, the mount moves very slowly and in step like manner in RA,
so please let me know.
I really want to thank you for your support and help, next weekend I
will try to give more details to you.
Sincerily,
Eric.

eroelmx@...

eroelmx@y... writes:

I do not know if it is normal that when recalibrating and keeping
the
button on, the mount moves very slowly and in step like manner in
RA,
so please let me know.
I don't know what you mean by keeping the button on. Are you
depressing the E
or W button in 1x? in .5x? or in .25x? or 12x? or what? In any
case, pressing
the E-W buttons should cause the star to move smoothly east or west
at the
guiding rates. If you do not depress the button, does the mount
track the
star at all? Or is there a jerky back and forth motion?

Roland Christen
Roland:
Sometimes the lenguage barrier betrays me and have trouble trying to
explain what I want. Well what I meant is that when you goto an
object and it is not in the center of the field, then after centering
it with the hand pad (E-W-N-S keys), you press #9 key in the Menu or
the menu key to recalibrate to the new position due to the centering
of the object, but if you keep the #9 key pressed, then the object
starts moving in a jerky motion as you say, getting out of the center
position. My question was if that is normal and if I just have to hit
#9 key once, or there is something wrong in my procedure.
This weekend I will go to the observatory to check the RA gear play,
my polar alignment and if there is something else that I could check
please let me know, the observatory is about 80 miles from home, so
it is a 2 hour drive, that is why I would appreciate if there is
something more mechanical or electronic to check while being there.
Receive my best regards,
Eric.

Roland Christen

#9 key once, or there is something wrong in my procedure
You only press the #9 key once, quickly. This sends a message to the servo to
update the position of the object. Keeping the button depressed will continue
to send updates at a rate of 3 or 4 per second. Each time you send an
update, the servo microprocessor has to interrupt the normal driving routines
and do an extensive calculation for the update co-ordinates. It is no wonder
then that the drive will look somewhat jerky. Please push the button once,
quickly and be done with it. This Recal really does not need to be done all
the time anyway.

Roland Christen

twocat <twocat@...>

Eric, I just caught the last bit of your tracking problem. You may want to
look at a write-up on my web site on the use of artificial stars to assess
tracking issues. While the description uses a STV, you could use your
guider but will have to plot the data manually. The address is
http://www.fatbulldog.com/gdo/index.html and then go to "helpful material".
Good luck.

Gary Vander Haagen
Gray Dunes Observatory

eroelmx@...

#9 key once, or there is something wrong in my procedure
You only press the #9 key once, quickly. This sends a message to
the servo to
update the position of the object. Keeping the button depressed
will continue
to send updates at a rate of 3 or 4 per second. Each time you send
an
update, the servo microprocessor has to interrupt the normal
driving routines
and do an extensive calculation for the update co-ordinates. It is
no wonder
then that the drive will look somewhat jerky. Please push the
button once,
quickly and be done with it. This Recal really does not need to be
done all
the time anyway.

Roland Christen

Roland:
Went to the observatory, took the cover of the gear train and moved
the worm gear, it is fairly loose, but the gears held with the screw
looked a little tight, so I did put some Lithium grease on the small
gears mounted on the lower part of the big gear (they were dry), put
everything back together and incredibly, the mount started tracking
very very well, I kept the Venus crescent with 416X for a long time,
just the periodic error showed, looks like probably the gear train
was tight or crooked.
The alignment is as good as I can get it, I rechecked it with drift
align.
Looks like I just have 2 problems left:
1.-When you just press quickly the #9 button (RECALIBRATE), the
object starts moving slowly out of the field, it does not matter if
you press it just once quickly or keep it pressed, the object keeps
moving out of the field.
2.-The PEC does not correct the periodic error, I trained it several
times (Trained and checked, then train again and rechecked), it has
less periodic error with the PEC OFF than with the PEC-PLAY.
I also rebalanced the OTA, it was ok, so that was not the problem
either, the GoTo function worked well, Venus was on the finder almost
at the center but not in the field of a 26mm Plossl that gives 192X
with the 5 meter 10" Maksutov, probably the "recalibrate key" moved
the last object I viewed before parking the mount.I found Venus at
around 12 O´Clock saturday and sunday too.
My handpad shows "VERSION-2.4", I do not know if I need some upgrades
or the new chip.
I would like your comments concerning issues #1 and #2.
I send Regards to you and Marjorie.
Eric.

Roland Christen

In a message dated 3/18/2001 6:58:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
eroelmx@yahoo.com.mx writes:

1.-When you just press quickly the #9 button (RECALIBRATE), the
object starts moving slowly out of the field, it does not matter if
you press it just once quickly or keep it pressed, the object keeps
moving out of the field.

I have asked Marj to send you a new chip to be installed in your servo box.
It sounds like there is a software problem in your chip.

2.-The PEC does not correct the periodic error, I trained it several
times (Trained and checked, then train again and rechecked), it has
less periodic error with the PEC OFF than with the PEC-PLAY.
I also rebalanced the OTA, it was ok, so that was not the problem
either, the GoTo function worked well, Venus was on the finder almost
at the center but not in the field of a 26mm Plossl that gives 192X
with the 5 meter 10" Maksutov, probably the "recalibrate key" moved
the last object I viewed before parking the mount.I found Venus at
around 12 O´Clock saturday and sunday too.
My handpad shows "VERSION-2.4", I do not know if I need some upgrades
or the new chip.
I would like your comments concerning issues #1 and #2.
Your keypad version is not at fault. Soon you will be able to upload version
3 with some advanced features.

Roland Christen

eroelmx@...

eroelmx@y... writes:

[...]

I want to thank you for your prompt answer and your support, I feel
relieved with your comments because I thought I was doing something
wrong, or that my alignment was off, even after 20 or more years
doing drift alignments, homemade mounts etc..., Roland you made me
doubt.
I hope that Marjorie could send a new chip with instructions on how
to install it, via Federal Express or UPS, just tell me how much will
it be, so to send a check or a credit card number.
My name: Eric Roel
My address: Paseo del Pedregal 817, Col. Jardines del Pedregal,
México D.F. C.P 01900. MEXICO.
My phone: as dialed from the U.S.A. 011-52-55687399
My e-mail: eroel@prodigy.net.mx
Regards, Eric.

We sent the chip and you should receive it soon. Since you have the newest
chip, I invite you to be a part of our ap-beta group which is currently
testing the new chip, the download procedures for the new keypad upgrade,
and the new version 3.0.

You will receive a separate e-mail with additional information. Thank you.

Marjorie Christen
Astro-Physics, Inc.
11250 Forest Hills Road
Rockford, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com

eroelmx@y... writes:

[...]

Mxico D.F. C.P 01900. MEXICO.
My phone: as dialed from the U.S.A. 011-52-55687399
My e-mail: eroel@prodigy.net.mx
Regards, Eric.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

eroelmx@...

--- In ap-gto@y..., "Marj Christen" <marj@a...> wrote:
We sent the chip and you should receive it soon. Since you have the
newest
chip, I invite you to be a part of our ap-beta group which is
currently
testing the new chip, the download procedures for the new keypad
upgrade,
and the new version 3.0.

You will receive a separate e-mail with additional information.
Thank you.

Marjorie Christen
Astro-Physics, Inc.
11250 Forest Hills Road
Rockford, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com

Marjorie:
Thanks, the chip will be my birthday present(April 15th),hope it gets
soon, really it is my best present. Sure I will try the chip and new
handpad version as a beta tester, glad to. Last weekend I was
observing with my old 6" f/12 "Superplanetary" refractor, it performs
beautifully, no chromatism whatsoever.
Receive my regards, Eric.