1200 return to Park 5 with CWs up

Peter Bresler

My 1200 keeps returning to Park 5 with the CWs up. I reset the location time, which appears to be correct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub6xv4x3gvyni79/ApccZip-Peter_Bresler-2021-10-16-112232.zip?dl=0

Peter

Ray Gralak

Hi Peter,

Park 5 should have the shaft relatively horizontal. So when you say that the "CW's up", do you mean that the CW shaft just slightly off from being horizontal, or do you mean the mount tries to slew the scope underneath the mount?

If it's the former, that's typically okay as that can be caused by a Synch/Recal, or the pointing model changing the RA offset slightly.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Bresler via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2021 11:31 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] 1200 return to Park 5 with CWs up

My 1200 keeps returning to Park 5 with the CWs up. I reset the location time, which appears to be correct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub6xv4x3gvyni79/ApccZip-Peter_Bresler-2021-10-16-112232.zip?dl=0

Peter

Peter Bresler

The mount has been going to Park 5 with CWs about 15° up after a session is finished. I had to install software on a different control computer. Formerly it returned to the perfectly horizontal park 5 position after a session.

Peter

Erkaslan Aygen

Dear Peter,

Did you finally manage to find a solution to your Park problem ? Just asking since I had exactly the same "strange" behavior yesterday.

Cheers,
Aygen

Ray Gralak

Peter,

It sounds like the clock time on one of the devices (computers, hand controller, etc.) you are using may be off by 1 hour, which translates to 15 degrees in movement. You should double-check settings for latitude, longitude, time zone, and time on all devices you are using. To reduce the possibility of events like this, always let APCC initialize and park the mount.

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Bresler via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2021 10:51 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 1200 return to Park 5 with CWs up

The mount has been going to Park 5 with CWs about 15° up after a session is finished. I had to install
software on a different control computer. Formerly it returned to the perfectly horizontal park 5 position after a
session.

Peter

Ray Gralak

Aygen,

What I posted to Peter applies to your setup as well. Make sure computer time, time zone, latitude, and longitude are all set correctly, and always let APCC initialize the mount (as opposed to the mount's hand controller).

A common reason for the 15-degree offset is that the mount's hand controller is left plugged in and set up to initialize the mount. That might be okay, except when the hand controller's time zone is offset by one hour because of the change in daylight savings time. If that's the case, the hand controller's time zone offset will be correct again when Daylight Savings Time ends at the end of this month.

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Erkaslan Aygen
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2021 12:23 AM

Dear Peter,

Did you finally manage to find a solution to your Park problem ? Just asking since I had exactly the same
"strange" behavior yesterday.

Cheers,
Aygen

Peter Bresler

Yes the hand controller is plugged in. The initialize window opens when APCC connects. How do I correct the time in the hand controller? Seems like it was ok before switching computers.

Ray Gralak

I don't usually use the hand controller, but it should be obvious how to set the time if you can get into the hand controller's settings menu.

However, if APCC initialized the mount then the hand controller didn't, so that's okay. The only potential problem would be if the hand controller's time was incorrect and you tried parking the mount with the hand controller instead of APCC.

-Ray

Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2021 7:49 AM

Yes the hand controller is plugged in. The initialize window opens when APCC connects. How do I correct the
time in the hand controller? Seems like it was ok before switching computers.

Christopher Erickson

One thing I do is to set all of my astro-devices that have timing to UT with no DST. Observatory PC's, imaging PC's, hand controllers, etc.

In observatories I like to have clocks showing LT, UT and ST.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 8:02 AM Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
I don't usually use the hand controller, but it should be obvious how to set the time if you can get into the hand controller's settings menu.

However, if APCC initialized the mount then the hand controller didn't, so that's okay. The only potential problem would be if the hand controller's time was incorrect and you tried parking the mount with the hand controller instead of APCC.

-Ray

> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Bresler via groups.io
> Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2021 7:49 AM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 1200 return to Park 5 with CWs up
>
> Yes the hand controller is plugged in. The initialize window opens when APCC connects. How do I correct the
> time in the hand controller? Seems like it was ok before switching computers.
>
>

Peter Bresler

I used APCC to park the mount, but will try setting everything to standard time. I occasionally use the hand controller to point the scope at terrestrial objects to focus a scope.