1200 GTO counterweight shaft

Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@...>

I was allowed to place an order yesterday for the 1200 GTO mount, so I'm
going over the A-P web site with a fine-toothed comb looking for other
stuff I should get with it.

I see that there is a "special" 26.9" counterweight shaft (M12661) men-
tioned as an available option. This raised some questions:

1) what is the length of the *standard* counterweight shaft?

2) what are the dimensions of the 10 and 18 pound counterweights?

I'm planning to put a 16" Ritchey-Chretien (or possibly the LOMO Hypergraph)
on this mount; consequently, I've ordered four 18 lb. counterweights and
one 10 lb. counterweight. I'm obviously concerned that 5 counterweights
will fit on the shaft.

I also have some of other questions:

a) A-P lists the capacity of this mount as "140 lb. instrument, depending
on length". Do they intend this 140 lb. to include the counterweights?
Or will the mount really carry a 140 lb. instrument plus over 100 lb. of
counterweights?

b) For astrophotography, would it be advisable to stay well below the 140
lb. instrument limit or is the rating conservative enough that the mount is
rock-solid even at the rated limit? (Yeah, aperture fever is causing me to
think of going to a 20" instrument :-)

c) I see folks here talking about using the polar alignment scope, but it
is not mentioned on the A-P web site (at least, not that I've found). Does
it come with one? Is it an option?

Thanks for any help.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@venus.sunquest.com

Dan Knauss <dknauss@...>

Terry:

I was lucky enough to order a 1200 gto Tuesday. I believe the answer to
your last question is that with go to capability, the two star alignment
method will get you as close to the pole as the polar alignment scope and
thus it is not offered as an accessory any more.

Dan Knauss

Paul Gustafson <drgus@...>

c) I see folks here talking about using the polar alignment scope, but it
is not mentioned on the A-P web site (at least, not that I've
found). Does
it come with one? Is it an option?
Although the GOTO makes the polar scope not absolutely necessary, the polar
scope allows you to set the mount very accurately before fine-tuning with
the GOTO. I find it a real time-saver. AP can no longer get them, so you
only have two options:

1) Buy one used. They command a premium price, unfortunately.

2) The Losmandy polar scope will fit if you get an adapter made. AP should
be able to give you the details of their threads, and Losmandy can do the
same for the polar scope. If enough people request one, maybe AP will make
their own adapters.

Gus

John Gleason

Tony, 5 counterweights will fit the standard shaft.
Brad at RCO supports a 16" RC on his 1200 goto and is getting very nice
images.

John Gleason, dvj@earthlink.net
http://www.celestialimage.com

From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Date: Saturday, March 18, 2000 11:14 AM

[...]

Enjoy 200 FREE Photos including FREE shipping to you, your
friends & family. Shutterfly delivers beautiful 35mm quality
prints from your digital camera - ready for frames or photo albums.
http://click.egroups.com/1/2144/3/_/3615/_/953406869/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/