1100GTO +APCC Pro + SkyTrack = My first ISS

R Botero

Hello All

My first ever attempt at imaging the ISS below yesterday evening from London.

Using an 1100GTO running APCC Pro with pointing corrections. SkyTrack by Brent Boshart directing the tracking and without which I would not have been able to catch the ISS with my 10" Mak at F20!  In fact, the little thing just flew past and I could not re-centre it until it was on its way down.

10” TEC F20 in tandem with a 94mm F7 triplet made by Roland in the Vernonscope days and two video cameras running.

ASI178MM with 94mm F7 refractor:  0.307ms/102fps/108gain/25gamma
ASI462MC with 250mm F20 Mak:  0.505ms/134fps/250gain/50gamma

Check the RAW captured videos at the link below: https://www.astrobin.com/xxrpfb/D/

Roberto

94mm F7 and 250mm F20

Roger Laureys

Hello Roberto,

Great first effort !!!
Regards,
Roger

My first ever attempt at imaging the ISS below yesterday evening from London.

Using an 1100GTO running APCC Pro with pointing corrections. SkyTrack by Brent Boshart directing the tracking and without which I would not have been able to catch the ISS with my 10" Mak at F20!  In fact, the little thing just flew past and I could not re-centre it until it was on its way down.

10” TEC F20 in tandem with a 94mm F7 triplet made by Roland in the Vernonscope days and two video cameras running.

ASI178MM with 94mm F7 refractor:  0.307ms/102fps/108gain/25gamma
ASI462MC with 250mm F20 Mak:  0.505ms/134fps/250gain/50gamma

Check the RAW captured videos at the link below: https://www.astrobin.com/xxrpfb/D/

Roberto

94mm F7 and 250mm F20

Luca Marinelli

Awesome work, Roberto!

Luca

On Dec 3, 2021, at 3:50 AM, Roger Laureys via groups.io <roger_laureys@...> wrote:

Hello Roberto,

Great first effort !!!
Regards,
Roger

My first ever attempt at imaging the ISS below yesterday evening from London.

Using an 1100GTO running APCC Pro with pointing corrections. SkyTrack by Brent Boshart directing the tracking and without which I would not have been able to catch the ISS with my 10" Mak at F20!  In fact, the little thing just flew past and I could not re-centre it until it was on its way down.

10” TEC F20 in tandem with a 94mm F7 triplet made by Roland in the Vernonscope days and two video cameras running.

ASI178MM with 94mm F7 refractor:  0.307ms/102fps/108gain/25gamma
ASI462MC with 250mm F20 Mak:  0.505ms/134fps/250gain/50gamma

Check the RAW captured videos at the link below: https://www.astrobin.com/xxrpfb/D/

Roberto

94mm F7 and 250mm F20

<E665E693-40C3-4D97-8D6F-A4D0479C3280.png>

<F0263F81-C52D-4CB8-8D30-010978B82D7F.png>

Eric Weiner

Good one!

Roland Christen

Really well done.

My first ever attempt at imaging the ISS below yesterday evening from London.
Using an 1100GTO running APCC Pro with pointing corrections. SkyTrack by Brent Boshart directing the tracking and without which I would not have been able to catch the ISS with my 10" Mak at F20!  In fact, the little thing just flew past and I could not re-centre it until it was on its way down.
10” TEC F20 in tandem with a 94mm F7 triplet made by Roland in the Vernonscope days and two video cameras running.

ASI178MM with 94mm F7 refractor:  0.307ms/102fps/108gain/25gamma
ASI462MC with 250mm F20 Mak:  0.505ms/134fps/250gain/50gamma

Check the RAW captured videos at the link below: https://www.astrobin.com/xxrpfb/D/

Roberto

94mm F7 and 250mm F20

Brent Boshart

Congratulations Roberto!  That was no easy task you had there to get ISS on that small of chip with a focal length of 5000mm!  Well done!

Mauricio Guerra

Very nice results and thanks for including the configuration details you used.

Basic question here: Assuming similar setup, am I wrong thinking that such ISS’s details cannot be obtained during ISS transit over the sun or moon?

Mauricio

San Diego, CA.

Sent from Mail for Windows

My first ever attempt at imaging the ISS below yesterday evening from London.

Using an 1100GTO running APCC Pro with pointing corrections. SkyTrack by Brent Boshart directing the tracking and without which I would not have been able to catch the ISS with my 10" Mak at F20!  In fact, the little thing just flew past and I could not re-centre it until it was on its way down.

10” TEC F20 in tandem with a 94mm F7 triplet made by Roland in the Vernonscope days and two video cameras running.

ASI178MM with 94mm F7 refractor:  0.307ms/102fps/108gain/25gamma
ASI462MC with 250mm F20 Mak:  0.505ms/134fps/250gain/50gamma

Check the RAW captured videos at the link below: https://www.astrobin.com/xxrpfb/D/

Roberto

94mm F7 and 250mm F20

Worsel

Mauricio

Assuming the scope on the A-P mount is a proper scope for solar, e.g. white light filter or H-alpha filter/scope, you should be able to do the same.  For the moon,no extra protection needed.  Note the Field of View can be quite different, if you want full solar or lunar disk.

See SOLAR LINK

and LUNAR LINK

Bryan

Worsel

Roberto

These are excellent images, whether first time or a veteran imager!  Congratulations and thanks!

Bryan

Brent Boshart

Mauricio,

In terms of details it depends.  Obviously with a solar transit the ISS detail will only be its shadowed shape - as you can see with Bryan's links.  With a lunar transit there are two scenarios, when ISS is still sunlight or when it is eclipsed by the earth's shadow.  When eclipsed the lunar transit will be similar to a solar transit, you are only doing to see the shadowed form of the station. If ISS is sunlit during the lunar transit then technically you could see similar detail to Roberto's images but most people would image that at a wider view.  The exposure for the moon and ISS can be roughly similar.  The brightness of ISS does vary some for each pass.  The higher the elevation (the closer it is to the observer) the brighter it appears.    I have even imaged a lunar transit during the daytime, but had to increase the contrast and darken the sky to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqJLlHwWR8s

R Botero

Thank you All! Really pleased with my first pass. I may get a chance again tomorrow if the weather holds.

Roberto

Jeff B

Well done sir!

Jeff