1100GTO-AEL - Question about encoder setup process #Absolute_Encoders

Patrick Spencer

I recently received a new 1100GTO-AEL and I've been reading all the documentation and getting ready to set everything up for first use. I am a bit confused about some language in the GTOCP4 manual regarding absolute encoders. The manual states "The APAE Utility needs to be connected to the GTOCP4 through a separate COM port from the one that is controlling the mount. This connection can be done through the GTOCP4's second RS-232 serial port or through the USB connection ..."

I plan to use Ethernet to run the mount. Does the above-quoted language mean I need a separate physical USB or serial cable to set up the encoders?

Additionally, I plan to use APCC Pro, and I understand APCC has an AE tab. Do I still need the APAE Utility? Regardless, I still have the same question about whether I need 2 separate cables to set up the mount and the encoders.

I apologize that these questions seem pretty basic, but I want to make sure I set up the mount right the first time.

Thanks for any feedback,

Patrick Spencer

Howdy,

You do not need to worry about the APAE Utility if you intend to use APCC. You can use just the ethernet port and be ready to go.

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

[...]

Roland Christen

Setting up the encoders means simply to turn them on. This can be done thru APCC just as easily. You do not need to use the APAE Utility unless you are not going to use APCC. Once the encoders have been turned on, you never need to do anything further. They will stay on forever.

The only other thing the Utility can do, which APCC can also do, is to send the mount "Home" in case you have done something to cause it to get lost.

[...]

Awesome, thanks so much Liam and Roland for the quick replies!

Patrick

The CP4 manual is presently being updated so that it is more up-to-date and will be released soon. We’ll let everyone know when the new version is available.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road