1100 mount production

Roland Christen

Hi fellow Astronuts,

Just a quick update on 1100 mount production. Our next production run is in the works. All machined parts are finished, we just need to do painting and assembly of the parts now. First ones will be ready in about 4 weeks and the best part is that none have been spoken for. All are available a this point.

So if you know of someone who is looking for a mount that can hold 110 lb of equipment, has excellent tracking performance, has thru-mount cabling ability and comes apart into 2 light weight manageable axes, then the 1100 is the ticket. Let 'em know before all are grabbed up by our Astro-fans.

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.

Ya can’t go wrong here boys! I’ve had mine since last March and have loved every experience with it. Permanently set up in my observatory and ready to go at a moment’s notice Works every time like a dream. Would never go back to China or Mexico.

Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Roland Christen via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 9:32 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io; main@ap-ug.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] 1100 mount production

Hi fellow Astronuts,

Just a quick update on 1100 mount production. Our next production run is in the works. All machined parts are finished, we just need to do painting and assembly of the parts now. First ones will be ready in about 4 weeks and the best part is that none have been spoken for. All are available a this point.

So if you know of someone who is looking for a mount that can hold 110 lb of equipment, has excellent tracking performance, has thru-mount cabling ability and comes apart into 2 light weight manageable axes, then the 1100 is the ticket. Let 'em know before all are grabbed up by our Astro-fans.

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jeffrey Wolff

Looking forward to being notified. Been on the wait list since September.

The 1100 will replace my 900 in my home observatory. The 900 will become my dark star party mount.

Pete Mumbower

Also looking forward to a 1100GTO, I once owned a 900GTO for a short time many years ago and it was a dream to use. I have "ordered" via a vendor back in July and have a new observatory ready for it.

Thanks for the update!

Pete

Dhaval

When is delivery expected? Also, are you expecting encoder mounts to be in the first batch? I hear that some Mach2s are being pushed out to a March delivery - I hope AP110 AEL can be made available as part of the first batch. 

Thanks for the update. I am on the list, so keeping my fingers crossed for the encoder version.

Thanks!

Dhaval

Patrick Spencer

Oh wow, that's exciting news! Thanks for the update. I think I'm pretty far down the wait list, but hopefully enough mounts are being produced that my name will come up.

Patrick

I would like to clarify Roland’s post.  We have not notified anyone, including dealers,  for the 1100 production run but plan to do so in the next couple of weeks. We have not established a delivery schedule yet.

If you signed up on our website with the Notify Me button, your email address is in our database. The Notify Me process does not send a confirmation to you so no worries that you did not receive one. 

I will let you know when we start the notification process so that you can watch your emails.

Thank you for your patience. Please do not call the office, they cannot provide any additional information.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Patrick Spencer
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 10:45 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 1100 mount production

Oh wow, that's exciting news! Thanks for the update. I think I'm pretty far down the wait list, but hopefully enough mounts are being produced that my name will come up.

Patrick

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

You get him Marj.  I kind of knew poor Rolando was stepping into it.  I have serious empathy for Rolando but am also laughing out loud.  Set the record straight.

skester@...

I've been on the fence between the Mach2 and the 1100 and have a few questions.  For the next few years I will be using the mount to shoot from a dark site about an hour from home, with an eventual plan to move to a darker area and have a permanent setup.  So currently I have to pack, setup and tear down each imaging session.  I will be guiding since I can't take the time too perfect PA each night, so while encoders would be nice I don't think they gain me much currently.  The Mach2 seems more suited as a 'travel' mount, but the 1100 is only a few lbs heavier and splits.  The intended OTA is a PW CDK12.5, which is towards the upper end of the Mach2 capacity but still in the 'green'.  The 1100 would provide some room for future growth, though I don't currently plan to go beyond the CDK 12.5.

So my question boils down to how much more effort is set up/tear down of an 1100 vs. a Mach2?  Does anyone here routinely travel with an 1100GTO, or is that a crazy idea?  Thanks

W Hilmo

My travel mount is an AP1100 (without encoders) on an Astro-Physics portable field pier.

I find it to be a pure pleasure to use for this, even including setup and teardown.  My first imaging mount was a Celestron CGE, and the AP1100 is much easier to handle, since it splits in two.  Note that separating and rejoining the two axes takes a few seconds and does not require tools.  Well sort of.  I have a T-handle 3/16” hex wrench that I keep with the mount for snugging dovetails, clutches, etc.

In your case, I would think that the logistics of transporting and mounting the OTA would be the dominant consideration.  Either the AP1100 or Mach2 would be easy by comparison.

Oh, and be sure to get the RAPAS.  It will get you a surprisingly good polar alignment in just a few seconds at dusk – even before Polaris is naked eye visible.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of skester@...
Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 8:25 AM

I've been on the fence between the Mach2 and the 1100 and have a few questions.  For the next few years I will be using the mount to shoot from a dark site about an hour from home, with an eventual plan to move to a darker area and have a permanent setup.  So currently I have to pack, setup and tear down each imaging session.  I will be guiding since I can't take the time too perfect PA each night, so while encoders would be nice I don't think they gain me much currently.  The Mach2 seems more suited as a 'travel' mount, but the 1100 is only a few lbs heavier and splits.  The intended OTA is a PW CDK12.5, which is towards the upper end of the Mach2 capacity but still in the 'green'.  The 1100 would provide some room for future growth, though I don't currently plan to go beyond the CDK 12.5.

So my question boils down to how much more effort is set up/tear down of an 1100 vs. a Mach2?  Does anyone here routinely travel with an 1100GTO, or is that a crazy idea?  Thanks

dvjbaja

I routinely travel with my 1100GTO mount.  Attaching or removing the dec axis takes less than a minute and the resulting individual components are lightweight and easy to pack. It's all the other stuff that's a pain, like the pier, counterweights, ota, rings, dovetails, and observing/imaging accessories.  The 1100 provides you extra headroom for larger instruments, or a very solid platform for imaging with smaller scopes.   I turned down my Mach2 notification as I could not justify it and the cost for the array of telescopes that I use.  The 1100 is highly versatile in that regard.  Not having encoders in my 1100 never entered into the purchase equation.  

Good luck and clear sky. 

- jg

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 8:25 AM <skester@...> wrote:
I've been on the fence between the Mach2 and the 1100 and have a few questions.  For the next few years I will be using the mount to shoot from a dark site about an hour from home, with an eventual plan to move to a darker area and have a permanent setup.  So currently I have to pack, setup and tear down each imaging session.  I will be guiding since I can't take the time too perfect PA each night, so while encoders would be nice I don't think they gain me much currently.  The Mach2 seems more suited as a 'travel' mount, but the 1100 is only a few lbs heavier and splits.  The intended OTA is a PW CDK12.5, which is towards the upper end of the Mach2 capacity but still in the 'green'.  The 1100 would provide some room for future growth, though I don't currently plan to go beyond the CDK 12.5.

So my question boils down to how much more effort is set up/tear down of an 1100 vs. a Mach2?  Does anyone here routinely travel with an 1100GTO, or is that a crazy idea?  Thanks

Roland Christen

Remember to add up all the other gear that goes onto the telescope, such as cameras, flatteners/reducers, filter wheels, couplers, guide scopes and various gadgets that you may add in the future. It all adds up. And don't forget the dovetail plates that also add weight to the mount. I have a 27 lb refractor on my Mach2 but when I weigh everything that actually gets bolted on to the Dec axis, it approaches 55 lb of dead weight.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, Jan 5, 2021 10:25 am

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roger Laureys

Hello Roland,
That's great news. I am on the notification list, so I hope to be with the lucky ones.
Best regards,
Roger

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 4:32 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] 1100 mount production

Hi fellow Astronuts,

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Pete Mumbower

Hi Rolando / Marj / Karen,

I was wondering if there are any updates for the 1100 production run? Been about a month :)

Thanks,
Pete (eagerly but patiently awaiting one)

Roland Christen

Final assembly is underway, one mount is already done and more will be assembled and tested next week.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Feb 5, 2021 8:58 am

Hi Rolando / Marj / Karen,

I was wondering if there are any updates for the 1100 production run? Been about a month :)

Thanks,
Pete (eagerly but patiently awaiting one)

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Pete Mumbower

Great to hear! Can only imagine what the assembly area looks like with mounts in various stages of assembly.

CaptMax

Pete,  I’m sure it looks like Santa’s Workshop. Full of wonderful items that bring beautiful sights, memories, and enjoyment to all those that use them.  ;) 
CM

Dale Ghent

One hopes that The George on the Shelf reports back in our favor, though.

On Feb 5, 2021, at 17:27, CaptMax <captmax@att.net> wrote:

Pete, I’m sure it looks like Santa’s Workshop. Full of wonderful items that bring beautiful sights, memories, and enjoyment to all those that use them. ;)
CM

Roland Christen

The assembly areas are separated.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Feb 5, 2021 4:16 pm

Great to hear! Can only imagine what the assembly area looks like with mounts in various stages of assembly.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics