1100 GTO just ordered

Jim Crumly

last week Woodland Hills contacted me that there were some 1100GTO's avalable so I ordered one. only problem is they did not tell me when I would get it . I know that there will be a wait.
is there anything I can do to get everything ready for the arival of the new mount.
I have downloaded the manual and quickstart guides and read through them, most seam prity streight forward, time will tell.
I think the most problematic will be learning a new software setup and using. any hints would be helpfull before I start the setup.

thanks and clear skys
Jim

Arvind

Congrats!

Depends on what you’re currently used to.

If you’re not getting the encoders then from my experience even something as simple as ASIAIR works well with the CP4. But if you’re interested in modeling (with or without encoders) you’d need the HC (I believe, someone correct me if I’m wrong.. haven’t tried the recent updates) or you need a Windows PC. The latter is especially useful if you’re going to get encoders to benefit from encoders on an A-P mount.

My experience is from a previous Mach1 and now a 900GTO both with CP4.

All this is to say you should have little, if any, difficulty in getting to use the mount from your current software program. If you’re on a PC start with just the ascom driver and APCC. With ASIAIR the driver comes built in. Plug N Play. (Play with the guide settings.. you’ll realize you need very very small guide pulses compared to most other mounts).

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 09:02 <jimwc@...> wrote:
last week Woodland Hills contacted me that there were some 1100GTO's avalable so I ordered one. only problem is they did not tell me when I would get it . I know that there will be a wait.
is there anything I can do to get everything ready for the arival of the new mount.
I have downloaded the manual and quickstart guides and read through them, most seam prity streight forward, time will tell.
I think the most problematic will be learning a new software setup and using. any hints would be helpfull before I start the setup.

thanks and clear skys
Jim

Bill Long

Why on Earth would someone use the ASI Air with an AP mount? APCC comes with all mounts now so it's just silly to give up everything you get with APCC for the Air. Not to mention, that product locks you into using other ASI products, so it's an even worse suggestion.

Mini PCs work great and don't cost a lost. They also allow you freedom of choice for other components, software, etc.

[...]

Andrew Burwell

Because it lowers complexity for many users. That’s the reason it’s so successful. Software makers could learn a thing or two from ZWO despite what you might think of them as a company or their cameras.

Bill Long

It locks people into their products in ways I don't really think is good for the community. Software companies do a great job maximizing decisions for users, not minimizing them.

I made no comments about their company or cameras. Just the Air product.