1100 GTO just ordered

Jim Crumly

last week Woodland Hills contacted me that there were some 1100GTO's avalable so I ordered one. only problem is they did not tell me when I would get it . I know that there will be a wait.
is there anything I can do to get everything ready for the arival of the new mount.
I have downloaded the manual and quickstart guides and read through them, most seam prity streight forward, time will tell.
I think the most problematic will be learning a new software setup and using. any hints would be helpfull before I start the setup.

thanks and clear skys
Jim

Arvind

Congrats!

Depends on what you’re currently used to. 

If you’re not getting the encoders then from my experience even something as simple as ASIAIR works well with the CP4. But if you’re interested in modeling (with or without encoders) you’d need the HC (I believe, someone correct me if I’m wrong.. haven’t tried the recent updates) or you need a Windows PC. The latter is especially useful if you’re going to get encoders to benefit from encoders on an A-P mount.

My experience is from a previous Mach1 and now a 900GTO both with CP4.

All this is to say you should have little, if any, difficulty in getting to use the mount from your current software program. If you’re on a PC start with just the ascom driver and APCC. With ASIAIR the driver comes built in. Plug N Play. (Play with the guide settings.. you’ll realize you need very very small guide pulses compared to most other mounts).

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 09:02 <jimwc@...> wrote:
last week Woodland Hills contacted me that there were some 1100GTO's avalable so I ordered one. only problem is they did not tell me when I would get it . I know that there will be a wait.
is there anything I can do to get everything ready for the arival of the new mount.
I have downloaded the manual and quickstart guides and read through them, most seam prity streight forward, time will tell.
I think the most problematic will be learning a new software setup and using. any hints would be helpfull before I start the setup.

thanks and clear skys
Jim

Bill Long

Why on Earth would someone use the ASI Air with an AP mount? APCC comes with all mounts now so it's just silly to give up everything you get with APCC for the Air. Not to mention, that product locks you into using other ASI products, so it's an even worse suggestion.

Mini PCs work great and don't cost a lost. They also allow you freedom of choice for other components, software, etc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Arvind <base16@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 9:50 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 1100 GTO just ordered

Congrats!

Depends on what you’re currently used to. 

If you’re not getting the encoders then from my experience even something as simple as ASIAIR works well with the CP4. But if you’re interested in modeling (with or without encoders) you’d need the HC (I believe, someone correct me if I’m wrong.. haven’t tried the recent updates) or you need a Windows PC. The latter is especially useful if you’re going to get encoders to benefit from encoders on an A-P mount.

My experience is from a previous Mach1 and now a 900GTO both with CP4.

All this is to say you should have little, if any, difficulty in getting to use the mount from your current software program. If you’re on a PC start with just the ascom driver and APCC. With ASIAIR the driver comes built in. Plug N Play. (Play with the guide settings.. you’ll realize you need very very small guide pulses compared to most other mounts).

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 09:02 <jimwc@...> wrote:

thanks and clear skys
Jim

Andrew Burwell

Because it lowers complexity for many users. That’s the reason it’s so successful. Software makers could learn a thing or two from ZWO despite what you might think of them as a company or their cameras. 

Bill Long

It locks people into their products in ways I don't really think is good for the community. Software companies do a great job maximizing decisions for users, not minimizing them.

I made no comments about their company or cameras. Just the Air product. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Andrew Burwell via groups.io <andrew_burwell@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 10:08 AM

Because it lowers complexity for many users. That’s the reason it’s so successful. Software makers could learn a thing or two from ZWO despite what you might think of them as a company or their cameras. 

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 12:02 PM, <jimwc@...> wrote:

I went through this about a year ago, coming from the CEM70 and MyT mounts.

Reading the manuals ahead of time is helpful but less so than it may seem, there's nothing like having it sitting there to touch and put together to make it make more sense.  It will not be difficult when it is there in front of you. That's not a knock on the manuals, just that physical presence helps a lot. 

One thing you can do ahead of time is make sure you have all your plumbing and parts - how will the mount connect to the pier or tripod, how will the CP4's mounting bracket connect to that, how will you run all the wiring, do you have the right power supplies.  I ordered some power pole connectors and bulk wire just so I could custom make power cables, and ordered some USB cables of various lengths so I could experiment with different arrangements of wiring through mount vs parts mounted on the OTA.  There's nothing more frustrating than having everything else ready to go but you need one small part to make it all work, so mentally walk all the power, USB, network and other connections to make sure that you have parts.  Extras are a small nuisance, not enough wants to make you pull your hair out. 

I'd also suggest using APPC even if you are not sure you will need it.  Basically the session manager (e.g. NINA, SGP, etc.) talks to ASCOM V2 which talks to APCC which talks to the mount.  Forget APPM (sky models) until you are comfortable with the rest.  If you got encoders forget you have them - they will work their magic and eliminate PE and backlash, no setup required.  You can do stuff with them later also (safety limits, find-home). 

There are a bazillion customization options in APPC, but for the most part it will just work, at least well enough to get you started.  After you spend an hour or two moving it around and testing stuff, all will make a LOT more sense than just a dry manual read.  So don't make yourself nuts ahead of time with the manual.

Remember: Load up in park 3 (pointing north, if you are in the northern hemisphere) and put a bit too much weight on the counterweight shaft before the first time you release the gears with the OTA mounted, and slide the weight a bit to the low side on the DEC axis.  There is NO friction there, if the top is heavier than the bottom it just falls over real fast, same with the DEC but less serious since it just spins.  When testing without the OTA, I always put on the counterweight shaft (no weights) so it is a bit bottom heavy for the same reason.

Do spend time making sure you have all the pieces/parts so you aren't frustrated with a second waiting period once it arrives.  Unless, well, you like new toys sitting around unused.  :) 

Linwood

Ray Gralak

Because it lowers complexity for many users. That’s the reason it’s so successful. Software makers could learn a
thing or two from ZWO despite what you might think of them as a company or their cameras.
ZWO is the company that cannot create an ASCOM driver for their cameras that requires less than 1GB of RAM for a single unbinned image from some of their cameras, and with horrible performance. I wonder if they may have done this purposely to drive people to their ASIAir products?

-Ray

Bill Long

Also of interest, the ASI Air uses INDI as its driver model, and they gutted out the non-ASI drivers from it for products they want to force you to buy from them if you use it (i.e. CMOS Cameras, ZWO EAF, ZWO EFW) and kept the drivers in for products they knew people would need from other vendors (i.e. mounts). 

The INDI driver for the AP mounts is still considered beta: Astrophysics V2 (indilib.org) and specifically tells users to observe the mount when under operation. So, if it were my shiny new 1100, I would NOT use the ASI Air with it.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Gralak <iogroups@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 10:24 AM

> Because it lowers complexity for many users. That’s the reason it’s so successful. Software makers could learn a
> thing or two from ZWO despite what you might think of them as a company or their cameras.

ZWO is the company that cannot create an ASCOM driver for their cameras that requires less than 1GB of RAM for a single unbinned image from some of their cameras, and with horrible performance. I wonder if they may have done this purposely to drive people to their ASIAir products?

-Ray

Arvind

There is no reason to endlessly argue about this. If you like to use APCC and Windows even for a portable setup, go for it.

For me, ASIAIR is convenient. Single box that has USB ports, power ports, and the required software to _conveniently_ use it from my phone and be able to transplant it across my various portable setups. The UX & the overall usability, to me, is a decade ahead of some of the other software setups out there (NINA excluding).

For my permanent setup I have NINA on a small PC, and then a Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance Gen2 and use Windows. This setup _can_ be used on a portable setup, but the UX is not yet as optimized for a mobile device but more suited for a laptop/desktop. I occasionally connect to it using my phone or iPad and drag my cursor around and get it to work. The ASIAIR is mobile first so is more intuitive and less combursome.

Overall, for a non-permanent setup, in my case I prefer to use ASIAIR. The evidence to me is the number of times I put each of these to use -- I have a gear ready to go with mini-PC, pegasus power box, necessary cables, and then I have a setup with asiair.. I always seem to prefer the setup with asiair - power up and go. No need to have a ritual of powering things up in a sequence waiting and clicking things around.

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 10:31 AM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
Also of interest, the ASI Air uses INDI as its driver model, and they gutted out the non-ASI drivers from it for products they want to force you to buy from them if you use it (i.e. CMOS Cameras, ZWO EAF, ZWO EFW) and kept the drivers in for products they knew people would need from other vendors (i.e. mounts). 

The INDI driver for the AP mounts is still considered beta: Astrophysics V2 (indilib.org) and specifically tells users to observe the mount when under operation. So, if it were my shiny new 1100, I would NOT use the ASI Air with it.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Gralak <iogroups@...>

> Because it lowers complexity for many users. That’s the reason it’s so successful. Software makers could learn a
> thing or two from ZWO despite what you might think of them as a company or their cameras.

-Ray

Bill Long

This same result can be achieved with a Mini PC, is my point. Just not with Nina (which is also not the only option) Further, giving up APCC and it's powerful features is something the OP should consider, especially if they plan on using non-ZWO components. Mobile or not.

Not really sure who is endlessly arguing here. There are tangible and specific reasons for folks to provide the opposite viewpoint (i.e do not use ASI Air with that 1100) and solutions that can meet the same needs on a different platform that offers more choice.

I use a Mini PC, Voyager, and APCC to run my rigs. Voyager has a gorgeous Web Dashboard that functions on any device, I can fully automate the entire night and kick everything off with a single button press and monitor everything from my phone, even if I am located remotely from the system running.

The only wish list item I have is for APPM to support camera a connection to Voyager. Then I could automate the entire stack, including model building, using the same workflow for permanent, backyard, or remote. All of which can be controlled from my phone, tablet, desktop, etc.

Bill

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Arvind <base16@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 11:01 AM

There is no reason to endlessly argue about this. If you like to use APCC and Windows even for a portable setup, go for it.

For me, ASIAIR is convenient. Single box that has USB ports, power ports, and the required software to _conveniently_ use it from my phone and be able to transplant it across my various portable setups. The UX & the overall usability, to me, is a decade ahead of some of the other software setups out there (NINA excluding).

For my permanent setup I have NINA on a small PC, and then a Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance Gen2 and use Windows. This setup _can_ be used on a portable setup, but the UX is not yet as optimized for a mobile device but more suited for a laptop/desktop. I occasionally connect to it using my phone or iPad and drag my cursor around and get it to work. The ASIAIR is mobile first so is more intuitive and less combursome.

Overall, for a non-permanent setup, in my case I prefer to use ASIAIR. The evidence to me is the number of times I put each of these to use -- I have a gear ready to go with mini-PC, pegasus power box, necessary cables, and then I have a setup with asiair.. I always seem to prefer the setup with asiair - power up and go. No need to have a ritual of powering things up in a sequence waiting and clicking things around.

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 10:31 AM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:

-Ray

Donald Rudny

Hi Jim,

Congrats.  You will never be sorry for this purchase.  I think some of the obvious preparation things needed would be:

1.  Tripod or pier.  You will need some adapter to properly attached the 1100.  AP has those available on their site.  They offer tripods as well and there was a recent thread about tripods that will support the 1100 adequately.

2.  Some means to initialize and control the mount including selecting objects.  Again, there are numerous ways to do this that work nicely with the CP4.  The simplest is the hand controller.  Don’t know if you ordered that, but there are other ways to control the mount.  I simply use SkySafari on my iPad.  It’s been updated so it will initialize in several park positions.  APCC will initialize and control the mount, but unless I missed something, I don’t think there is any object listing.  There might be some separate program that can be use in conjunction with it.

3.  Polar alignment.  How do you plan on doing that?  I found the AP RAPAS to be an easy accurate way to do it, especially if you are planning a portable setup.  There is a useful App called PS Align Pro that considers refraction in its display graph.  Important for me as I’m at a 20 degree latitude.

4.  Storage and carrying cases.  Whether you go portable or fixed, you need to think about how the mount will be protected and stored.  Because of it’s split design, it is very portable.  There are so many companies now making various size tool chests for reasonable cost.  There are a number of topics on forums discussing what works best.

5. Telescope Mounting plates.  You need to start thinking about how your scope or scopes will attach to the mount.  Lot of options.  You will need a mounting plate to attach to the 1100 as well as counter weights.  AP site will have them.

Once you get the basics functioning, you can advance into more software and camera control systems to meet your needs.  It’s a continuous learning curve and new things are coming out all the time.  With the 1100gto you have a lifetime foundation to work from.  

Good luck.

Don

Don Rudny
P.O. Box 106
Pepeekeo, HI 96783-0106

312-209-5870

On Sep 18, 2022, at 6:02 AM, jimwc@... wrote:

thanks and clear skys
Jim

Ray Gralak

For me, ASIAIR is convenient. Single box that has USB ports, power ports, and the required software to
_conveniently_ use it from my phone and be able to transplant it across my various portable setups. The UX & the
overall usability, to me, is a decade ahead of some of the other software setups out there (NINA excluding).
I'm glad you prefaced that with "For me". I've found that many people doing imaging would not want to use a mobile device, which can be hard to use and easy to drop in the dark if you are not careful. For them, it is a non-desirable technology for imaging. I think this will probably change in the future, but most imagers are not there yet.

-Ray

Ray Gralak

The only wish list item I have is for APPM to support camera a connection to Voyager. Then I could automate the
entire stack, including model building, using the same workflow for permanent, backyard, or remote. All of which
can be controlled from my phone, tablet, desktop, etc.
Bill, does Voyager still require to be run as Administrator? That's a showstopper if so.

-Ray

Bill Long

I agree fully Ray.

I think the options that enable the most choice, ultimately end up being the best investments. Additionally solutions that allow the flexibility to grow along with ones progressively changing capabilities are those solutions I find the best for suggesting adoption of. For me, the ASI Air is the opposite. It just happens to get so much air time (pun intended) on YouTube and Internet Forums that people navigate to it without doing the work to find better solutions that have lasting value for the investment.

The call-out and warning about the stability of the INDI driver remains valid for the sake of the 1100. 

Bill

Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 11:26 AM

> For me, ASIAIR is convenient. Single box that has USB ports, power ports, and the required software to
> _conveniently_ use it from my phone and be able to transplant it across my various portable setups. The UX & the
> overall usability, to me, is a decade ahead of some of the other software setups out there (NINA excluding).

I'm glad you prefaced that with "For me". I've found that many people doing imaging would not want to use a mobile device, which can be hard to use and easy to drop in the dark if you are not careful. For them, it is a non-desirable technology for imaging. I think this will probably change in the future, but most imagers are not there yet.

-Ray

Bill Long

It does not require it. You can disable that. It does have that enabled out of the box though. If APPM was developed to connect to the API for Voyager with admin mode disabled, that would be acceptable, as changing APCC's context to Admin, and Voyager back to admin would result in the same functionality since user context is not mismatched.

Happy to test (and even donate funds to) any development efforts to include Voyager in APPM. It would greatly improve mine and others' workflows and automation. 

Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 11:29 AM

> The only wish list item I have is for APPM to support camera a connection to Voyager. Then I could automate the
> entire stack, including model building, using the same workflow for permanent, backyard, or remote. All of which
> can be controlled from my phone, tablet, desktop, etc.

Bill, does Voyager still require to be run as Administrator? That's a showstopper if so.

-Ray

Arvind

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 11:26 AM Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
> For me, ASIAIR is convenient. Single box that has USB ports, power ports, and the required software to
> _conveniently_ use it from my phone and be able to transplant it across my various portable setups. The UX & the
> overall usability, to me, is a decade ahead of some of the other software setups out there (NINA excluding).

I prefer not to overgeneralize and rather share my own experience :-)

Mobile devices are hard to use if not using something like ASIAIR. When I'm using NINA (with my remote setup, and also when using a modeling program for a local setup) I tend to prefer a laptop.

Laptops are actually more clumsy to hold than a mobile phone, when setting up remotely unless you also bring a folding table :-)

>>>Laptops are actually more clumsy to hold than a mobile phone, when setting up remotely unless you also bring a folding table :-)

Not an "ASI AIr or not" comment. I use my mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, etc.) all the time with SGP and NINA,  and windows Remote Desktop and they work great for me. I dont think mobile device is an either-or choice.

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 11:55 AM Arvind <base16@...> wrote:

Mobile devices are hard to use if not using something like ASIAIR. When I'm using NINA (with my remote setup, and also when using a modeling program for a local setup) I tend to prefer a laptop.

Laptops are actually more clumsy to hold than a mobile phone, when setting up remotely unless you also bring a folding table :-)

Bill Long

I'm not against mobile at all. I use my phone to check on my imaging runs all the time. All I need is a web browser to do so. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Valente <bvalente@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 11:58 AM

>>>Laptops are actually more clumsy to hold than a mobile phone, when setting up remotely unless you also bring a folding table :-)

Not an "ASI AIr or not" comment. I use my mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, etc.) all the time with SGP and NINA,  and windows Remote Desktop and they work great for me. I dont think mobile device is an either-or choice.

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 11:55 AM Arvind <base16@...> wrote:

--

Ray Gralak

Hi Bill,

I'm not against mobile at all. I use my phone to check on my imaging runs all the time. All I need is a web browser
to do so.
I suspect you are a power-user, so you may not be typical, but:

1) Do you use a mobile device to set up, including imaging targets, or just to get status?

2) Do you use a mobile device to set up and run at a dark site?

I think a mobile device can be helpful if you are using it remotely from inside your home, but I believe it is probably not the best
device to use at a dark site, which is what Arvind said he does and makes it 10 years ahead of some other solutions.

I think one would be taking a chance to ruin your night vision and trip over something and hurt yourself, or break the device!
Unless star parties have changed, nearby people will likely scream at you to turn off your device if it is not covered! So, a laptop
on a table with a red plexiglass filter enclosed and shielded from others is probably the better solution.

-Ray

Jim Crumly

I guess I should have given a little more info. presently I am using a Celestron CGX mount. with StarSence auto align and NINA.
mounted on a simi perminant pier.  I ordered a pier adapter (119FSA)  and have received it. I plan on using pole master to do my polar alignment, I ordered a adapter for the polmaster camera and have it.
I also ordered counter weights 18# and 10#, 10" Saddle Plate (ASP-DOVEDV10). I presently run everthing from a Windows 11 Dell laptop connected through a ICRON Ranger USB3 eathernet hub to the mount. running NINA.
 Scope is a Stellarvue SVX130T. guide camera is a QHYCCD 5-11, on a Stellarvue guide scope. plan on using PHD2 for guide sooftware.
hope all this info helps

again thanks and clear skys
Jim