10" Reflector on a Mach2

WMarton@...

I am considering buying Parallax rotating rings so that I can mount my Teeter 10" Solid Tube Series f/5 reflector on a Mach2.  The rings are $625, but before I explore this further, I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this idea.  The OTA is 53" long, 12" diameter, and weighs about 25 pounds.  I am not worried about the Mach2 handling the weight, the issue at hand seems to be the stability of the view at high power on such a long instrument.  I know of someone that has used this scope on an 1100 mount for AP so the next size up has absolutely no problem with this OTA.

Bill

midmoastro

Bill,
I have used a 12" F/5 GSO on my 1100GTO for visual and planetary but it does not dampen well. This is likely the thin OTA material and cheaper parts; the dovetail is only 13" long and I've wondered if a longer dovetail would help spread the rings and stabilize it better. I'm certain the Teeter would handle much better but how much, I do not know. If you get an answer, I'd like to hear if you proceed and how well it worked out.
Todd

Jeff B

Bill, the Parallax rings, while robust and very well made, will weigh a fair amount, and because of how they are made, you will most likely get a bit of pointing error due to some residual non-orthogonality in the system.  In my experience, having Joe make three of his standard rings and using one of them as a Wilcox ring, is lighter, easier to install and adjust and more accurate plus they might be cheaper too.

But If you really want the rotating rings and your tube is 12" O.D., I have a pair of Parallax rotating rings looking for a home.

Jeff