Date   

Re: Initial GoTo In APCC Pro Cause Nose or Tail Dive

John
 

Aloha Ray,

  ok, thanks!

      John


Re: Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

Nick Iversen
 

Yes, Ray, a script would be useful. I'd like to do a flip using telnet.

Nick


Re: Initial GoTo In APCC Pro Cause Nose or Tail Dive

Ray Gralak
 

Hi John,

It was in one of the screenshots in the word document you sent to me via email. I've attached the screen shot of it.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of John
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 10:44 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Initial GoTo In APCC Pro Cause Nose or Tail Dive

Aloha Ray,

Me to! just user error!

In regard to that high tracking rate that you saw, I looked for that also, but couldn't find it. Do you have a menu
path to view that high tracking rate or
does it go away when the pointing/tracking options are deselected? Was wondering if that's something to look at
when modeling (later on) Thanks!

John


Re: Initial GoTo In APCC Pro Cause Nose or Tail Dive

John
 

Aloha Ray,

  Me to!  just user error!

  In regard to that high tracking rate that you saw, I looked for that also, but couldn't find it.  Do you have a menu path to view that high tracking rate or
does it go away when the pointing/tracking options are deselected?  Was wondering if that's something to look at when modeling (later on)  Thanks!

      John


Re: Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

Roland Christen
 


I am using a GTOCP3.
Your CP3 does not have the software commands for flips and a lot of other new commands.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.


-----Original Message-----
From: ray.palmer@...
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Dec 27, 2020 9:17 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:55 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
It is easy to automate the flip point. You can do this using the AP V2 ASCOM driver (or the hand controller). You can configure the flip-point so that the mount will flip at the necessary hour angle with a slew to the same RA/Dec.

APCC's meridian limits feature goes much further. It allows you to define different flip points for each declination and pier-side. In operation, this allows worry-free pier flipping and tracking limits to prevent pier collisions without any human intervention. I don't think any of the other mounts you mention have that feature.
Hi Ray, 

Thanks for your feedback, however I don't want my mount to flip at any particular hour angle. This is not a seamless or user friendly process for someone that just needs to flip to the other side of the pier. I also do not need to define different flip points for each declination point. It seems AP has completely missed the point of why many of us need to pier flip. It has nothing to do with the meridian. 

There is also a sentiment on here about the scope crashing into the mount and that is why AP have made this feature the way it is. No other brand I have used has this issue (I've used those brands extensively, AP's build wins, but a simple pier flip is badly needed). The scope simply slews through the counter weight down position and then continues onto its target on the other side of the pier for a safe pier flip. No threat of crashing, no trying to trick the mount into thinking the meridian is elsewhere. Pier flip is not dangerous or hard to develop. 

Rolando I do have the latest hand controller software. Version 4.19.3, I downloaded and installed it purely because of this thread, hoping to gain a pier flip function. I am using a GTOCP3. When I follow your instructions and hit the +- button, and then press 9, nothing happens. Please tell me how to access the pier flip please? When I hit +- then 9 as per your instructions at the beginning of this thread, nothing happens. 

Rolando Christen wrote:

The main reason we never had it before is because it is way too easy to crash the scope into the pier by just pressing a flip button when the scope does not have enough clearance on the other side under the mount. So, in trying to keep your equipment safe, we made it a bit harder for you in the past and probably gave you the impression that we just didn't know how to do some things that other companies have done for a long time. We fixed that now with our latest software, so you will be able to flip the scope back and forth as needed with just one button push.
Sorry, but again, there is no danger of a scope crashing into the mount if the mount slews through the counter weight down position halfway through its pier flip. All other major brands have a single touch pier flip feature and there is no danger when someone does a pier flip with those brands or yours, and there is no messing with hour angles or meridian delays to get the mount to flip.
The contention that AP lacks a simple pier flip feature to protect our scopes doesn't make sense and is confirmed by most other leading brands offering simple pier flip functionality and doing it easily without issue. There is no danger of a correctly programmed pier flip feature damaging our scopes. 

So from reading other comments here, am I right in thinking that AstroPhysics 1600GTO with a GTOCP3 using the latest software 4.19.3 cannot do a simple pier flip on command. Is this correct please? 

Thank you for your comments so far gentlemen and I hope you are all enjoying your holiday season. 

--
Raymond D Palmer
Astronomer
Western Australia
www.MyAstroSpace.com
www.TheCosmicArtGallery.com

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

Ray Gralak
 

Hi Ray,

that's great news then. I'm using a 1600GTO with a GTOCP3 using the latest software 4.19.3.
How do I do a simple pier flip please? What is the keypad path? I tried using +- and pressing 9, as per
Rolando's instructions, but it doesn't do anything.
I don't know, as I hardly use the keypad.

Hard pier stops and tracking past the meridian or 360 degrees past the meridian are
very different features than what is being requested here Ray.
It's relevant because if a telescope mount has a physical stop, the telescope may never physically get into a position where a pier collision can easily happen.

It is because A-P mounts don't have such a stop that pier collisions have more potential to happen. However, the lack of a physical stop offers the potential for a telescope to never need to be flipped throughout the night.

BTW, APCC has a meridian limits explorer tool to map out the slew limits at every declination and pier side. Once mapped out, APCC automatically allows pier flips within the meridian limits. Note that the concept of "meridian limits" is not the same as the mount's "meridian delay".

The idea that pier flipping is meridian based is strongly misguided.
A pier flip in any mount results in multiple operations. In the case of an AP mount, the meridian delay is just one of the two commands needed to do a pier flip:

1. Set meridian delay.
2. Slew to current RA/Dec.

Setting the meridian delay sets the destination pier side.

Can the keypad be programmed to do that: yes. Can software be programmed to do that: yes.

APCC has a button to do a pier flip, but a simple script can be made to perform the pier flip without APCC. The script could be placed on the desktop and double-clicked when needed. I can't help you with the AP keypad operations, but I can create a (free) script for you that will flip the mount if you are interested?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of ray.palmer@thecosmicartgallery.com
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:39 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:06 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:


First, as Roland pointed out, there is a way to do the pier flip from the hand controller.

Hi Ray, that's great news then. I'm using a 1600GTO with a GTOCP3 using the latest software 4.19.3. How do I do
a simple pier flip please? What is the keypad path? I tried using +- and pressing 9, as per Rolando's instructions, but
it doesn't do anything.




Many of the other mount manufacturers have hard pier stops, so they cannot go more than a certain angle
past the meridian. Which German Equatorial mounts have you used that provide a pier flip feature and can also
allow tracking a telescope 360 degrees under the pier, provided no pier collision would take place?

Hard pier stops and tracking past the meridian or 360 degrees past the meridian are very different features than
what is being requested here Ray. I am chasing a simple pier flip feature, nothing more. For my imaging needs, I
rarely use tracking past the meridian, however it is great to have. Just chasing a simple pier flip feature like all these
other mounts out there have. Whether those mounts can track past the meridian or not means nothing to me,
however I acknowledge AP mounts offer great range past the meridian, but that doesn't negate the need for a
simple pier flip function either. It is like you are saying, but we've got other features. Those features will satisfy other
users that don't need to pier flip like I do, but like I've said in this thread a few times, that my pier flip requirement
has nothing to do with the meridian. I'm just chasing the same simple functionality as other brands offer, nothing
more. I've been pier flipping since the late 90's with one or two presses of the keypad. I don't understand why this is
so elusive. I think there is a strong sentiment that because AP mounts can track past the meridian, that pier flipping
is not really required then, but that couldn't be more misguided IMHO. There are a dozen reasons that do not
include the meridian's position as to why you'd want to flip to the other side, and this is why other brands have
offered this simple and dedicated pier flip feature for over two decades. The idea that pier flipping is meridian based
is strongly misguided.

My feedback here is only to strengthen AP. If a simple pier flip cannot be done with my mount, then I see a gaping
hole in functionality, and friendly feedback like this is hopefully how AP improve their products.

Ray / Rolando, hopefully you guys are correct and I can perform a simple pier flip without having to try and trick the
mount into thinking where the meridian may be. Looking forward to learning how to do that.

--
Raymond D Palmer
Astronomer
Western Australia
www.MyAstroSpace.com
www.TheCosmicArtGallery.com


Re: Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

ray.palmer@...
 

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:06 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
First, as Roland pointed out, there is a way to do the pier flip from the hand controller.
Hi Ray, that's great news then. I'm using a 1600GTO with a GTOCP3 using the latest software 4.19.3. How do I do a simple pier flip please? What is the keypad path? I tried using +- and pressing 9, as per Rolando's instructions, but it doesn't do anything.


Many of the other mount manufacturers have hard pier stops, so they cannot go more than a certain angle past the meridian. Which German Equatorial mounts have you used that provide a pier flip feature and can also allow tracking a telescope 360 degrees under the pier, provided no pier collision would take place?
Hard pier stops and tracking past the meridian or 360 degrees past the meridian are very different features than what is being requested here Ray. I am chasing a simple pier flip feature, nothing more. For my imaging needs, I rarely use tracking past the meridian, however it is great to have. Just chasing a simple pier flip feature like all these other mounts out there have. Whether those mounts can track past the meridian or not means nothing to me, however I acknowledge AP mounts offer great range past the meridian, but that doesn't negate the need for a simple pier flip function either. It is like you are saying, but we've got other features. Those features will satisfy other users that don't need to pier flip like I do, but like I've said in this thread a few times, that my pier flip requirement has nothing to do with the meridian. I'm just chasing the same simple functionality as other brands offer, nothing more. I've been pier flipping since the late 90's with one or two presses of the keypad. I don't understand why this is so elusive. I think there is a strong sentiment that because AP mounts can track past the meridian, that pier flipping is not really required then, but that couldn't be more misguided IMHO. There are a dozen reasons that do not include the meridian's position as to why you'd want to flip to the other side, and this is why other brands have offered this simple and dedicated pier flip feature for over two decades. The idea that pier flipping is meridian based is strongly misguided.

My feedback here is only to strengthen AP. If a simple pier flip cannot be done with my mount, then I see a gaping hole in functionality, and friendly feedback like this is hopefully how AP improve their products.

Ray / Rolando, hopefully you guys are correct and I can perform a simple pier flip without having to try and trick the mount into thinking where the meridian may be. Looking forward to learning how to do that. 

--
Raymond D Palmer
Astronomer
Western Australia
www.MyAstroSpace.com
www.TheCosmicArtGallery.com


Re: van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis

Joel Short
 

Thanks Brian, Steve and Luca!
joel


Re: Need width and thread size of threaded top end if 1.875” counterweight shafts

Mark Dearing
 

Thanks very much for the information!

Mark


Re: IC434 first picture for my AP MACH2 and custom built corrected newton #Mach2GTO

christian viladrich
 

This is very nice. Congratulations !

Christian

Le 27/12/2020 à 15:21, Andrea Lucchetti a écrit :
Hi,
I am happy to share my first picture with the mount.
I hope it is not off topic, but please tell me.
After years running an observatory I came back to a nomad set up and I have chosen the MACH2.
The mount is perfect for my set up at 24 kg all included.

It is a Newton corrected and illuminated over a KAF 16803.

At the following link my first image , hope you like it.
https://andrealucchetti.smugmug.com/Astrophotography/Nebulae/i-HDpZ2mD

Attached my set up.

Andrea


Re: Initial GoTo In APCC Pro Cause Nose or Tail Dive

Ray Gralak
 

Hi John,

Okay, thanks!

I am glad that worked! :-)

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of John
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2020 5:45 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Initial GoTo In APCC Pro Cause Nose or Tail Dive

Aloha Ray,

Yes sir, that FIXED IT!! Thank you and sorry about all the confusion and trouble!

I was logged onto this forum earlier, but missed the '2nd page'

Via apcc, after connecting, manual slews worked with no problem, the dec coordinates display. Tried a goto to
Deneb and no problem! I disconnected and reconnected again and
everything is good! Never touched the 'find home button.' Other than the sidereal tracking rate, I'm not seeing the
"extremely high tracking rate" that you mentioned.

I did have the ascom platform 6.5 installed a month or two ago, and Howard got me squared away with that (ie un-
install it and use ver 6.4). I haven't got to the point of
actually using the modeling module yet. However, I was in the modeling tab last week to look around and I guess I
must have enabled the pointing and tracking modeling.options
(when basically there was no 'real' model to use). Thanks again for all your help!! I'll be more careful

John


Re: Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

Ray Gralak
 

Hi Ray,

First, as Roland pointed out, there is a way to do the pier flip from the hand controller.

You wrote:
There is also a sentiment on here about the scope crashing into the mount and that is why
AP have made this feature the way it is. No other brand I have used has this issue (I've
used those brands extensively, AP's build wins, but a simple pier flip is badly needed).
Many of the other mount manufacturers have hard pier stops, so they cannot go more than a certain angle past the meridian. Which German Equatorial mounts have you used that provide a pier flip feature and can also allow tracking a telescope 360 degrees under the pier, provided no pier collision would take place?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of ray.palmer@thecosmicartgallery.com
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2020 7:18 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:55 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:


It is easy to automate the flip point. You can do this using the AP V2 ASCOM driver (or the hand controller).
You can configure the flip-point so that the mount will flip at the necessary hour angle with a slew to the same RA/Dec.

APCC's meridian limits feature goes much further. It allows you to define different flip points for each declination
and pier-side. In operation, this allows worry-free pier flipping and tracking limits to prevent pier collisions without any
human intervention. I don't think any of the other mounts you mention have that feature.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your feedback, however I don't want my mount to flip at any particular hour angle. This is not a seamless or
user friendly process for someone that just needs to flip to the other side of the pier. I also do not need to define
different flip points for each declination point. It seems AP has completely missed the point of why many of us need to
pier flip. It has nothing to do with the meridian.

There is also a sentiment on here about the scope crashing into the mount and that is why AP have made this feature
the way it is. No other brand I have used has this issue (I've used those brands extensively, AP's build wins, but a
simple pier flip is badly needed). The scope simply slews through the counter weight down position and then continues
onto its target on the other side of the pier for a safe pier flip. No threat of crashing, no trying to trick the mount into
thinking the meridian is elsewhere. Pier flip is not dangerous or hard to develop.

Rolando I do have the latest hand controller software. Version 4.19.3, I downloaded and installed it purely because of
this thread, hoping to gain a pier flip function. I am using a GTOCP3. When I follow your instructions and hit the +-
button, and then press 9, nothing happens. Please tell me how to access the pier flip please? When I hit +- then 9 as
per your instructions at the beginning of this thread, nothing happens.

Rolando Christen wrote:



The main reason we never had it before is because it is way too easy to crash the scope into the pier by just
pressing a flip button when the scope does not have enough clearance on the other side under the mount. So, in trying
to keep your equipment safe, we made it a bit harder for you in the past and probably gave you the impression that we
just didn't know how to do some things that other companies have done for a long time. We fixed that now with our
latest software, so you will be able to flip the scope back and forth as needed with just one button push.

Sorry, but again, there is no danger of a scope crashing into the mount if the mount slews through the counter weight
down position halfway through its pier flip. All other major brands have a single touch pier flip feature and there is no
danger when someone does a pier flip with those brands or yours, and there is no messing with hour angles or
meridian delays to get the mount to flip.

The contention that AP lacks a simple pier flip feature to protect our scopes doesn't make sense and is confirmed by
most other leading brands offering simple pier flip functionality and doing it easily without issue. There is no danger of
a correctly programmed pier flip feature damaging our scopes.

So from reading other comments here, am I right in thinking that AstroPhysics 1600GTO with a GTOCP3 using the
latest software 4.19.3 cannot do a simple pier flip on command. Is this correct please?

Thank you for your comments so far gentlemen and I hope you are all enjoying your holiday season.

--
Raymond D Palmer
Astronomer
Western Australia
www.MyAstroSpace.com
www.TheCosmicArtGallery.com


Re: Need width and thread size of threaded top end if 1.875” counterweight shafts

M Hambrick
 

Hi Mark

That will be a very expensive tap since it is not a standard size.

I hope you are not asking because the counterweight shaft threads in the Dec axis cap are stripped. If that is the case you will probably have to get a replacement.

If you just want to chase the threads to clean them up you may be able to get someone to make a chaser for you on a lathe. It does not have to be tool steel since it will only be used on aluminum. If you are able to get the threads cleaned up I recommend using powdered graphite on the counterweight shaft to act as a lubricant. Stainless steel is especially bad about galling aluminum threads, and the powdered graphite will help to avoid this. Use sparingly ! Otherwise all of your beautiful white mount and optical tubes will soon be covered with black smudges.

FYI there was another thread on the forum not long ago where it was mentioned that all of the new mounts have a stainless steel insert in the cap. Although bronze would make a better insert material than stainless, it is still much better than aluminum. Marj mentioned that sometime before too long these caps will be available to purchase as a separate part. As soon as they become available for replacement parts I plan to buy one.


Re: Meridian Flip Feature Yet?

ray.palmer@...
 

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:55 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
It is easy to automate the flip point. You can do this using the AP V2 ASCOM driver (or the hand controller). You can configure the flip-point so that the mount will flip at the necessary hour angle with a slew to the same RA/Dec.

APCC's meridian limits feature goes much further. It allows you to define different flip points for each declination and pier-side. In operation, this allows worry-free pier flipping and tracking limits to prevent pier collisions without any human intervention. I don't think any of the other mounts you mention have that feature.
Hi Ray, 

Thanks for your feedback, however I don't want my mount to flip at any particular hour angle. This is not a seamless or user friendly process for someone that just needs to flip to the other side of the pier. I also do not need to define different flip points for each declination point. It seems AP has completely missed the point of why many of us need to pier flip. It has nothing to do with the meridian. 

There is also a sentiment on here about the scope crashing into the mount and that is why AP have made this feature the way it is. No other brand I have used has this issue (I've used those brands extensively, AP's build wins, but a simple pier flip is badly needed). The scope simply slews through the counter weight down position and then continues onto its target on the other side of the pier for a safe pier flip. No threat of crashing, no trying to trick the mount into thinking the meridian is elsewhere. Pier flip is not dangerous or hard to develop. 

Rolando I do have the latest hand controller software. Version 4.19.3, I downloaded and installed it purely because of this thread, hoping to gain a pier flip function. I am using a GTOCP3. When I follow your instructions and hit the +- button, and then press 9, nothing happens. Please tell me how to access the pier flip please? When I hit +- then 9 as per your instructions at the beginning of this thread, nothing happens. 

Rolando Christen wrote:

The main reason we never had it before is because it is way too easy to crash the scope into the pier by just pressing a flip button when the scope does not have enough clearance on the other side under the mount. So, in trying to keep your equipment safe, we made it a bit harder for you in the past and probably gave you the impression that we just didn't know how to do some things that other companies have done for a long time. We fixed that now with our latest software, so you will be able to flip the scope back and forth as needed with just one button push.

Sorry, but again, there is no danger of a scope crashing into the mount if the mount slews through the counter weight down position halfway through its pier flip. All other major brands have a single touch pier flip feature and there is no danger when someone does a pier flip with those brands or yours, and there is no messing with hour angles or meridian delays to get the mount to flip.

The contention that AP lacks a simple pier flip feature to protect our scopes doesn't make sense and is confirmed by most other leading brands offering simple pier flip functionality and doing it easily without issue. There is no danger of a correctly programmed pier flip feature damaging our scopes. 

So from reading other comments here, am I right in thinking that AstroPhysics 1600GTO with a GTOCP3 using the latest software 4.19.3 cannot do a simple pier flip on command. Is this correct please? 

Thank you for your comments so far gentlemen and I hope you are all enjoying your holiday season. 

--
Raymond D Palmer
Astronomer
Western Australia
www.MyAstroSpace.com
www.TheCosmicArtGallery.com


Re: van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis

Luca Marinelli
 

That’s a great image, Joel!

Luca

On Dec 27, 2020, at 8:28 PM, Steve Reilly via groups.io <sreilly24590@...> wrote:



Very nice indeed.

 

-Steve

 

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joel Short
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2020 6:32 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis

 

Hello friends, I thought I'd share my latest image of van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis.  This image was taken with a tandem refractor setup mounted on an AP1100GTO CP4.  I was a little surprised how this one turned out considering it was captured during the smoky skies caused by the western wildfires this past Fall (I'm in norther IN). I'm working in the vdB catalog of reflection nebulae, although there is also a bit of emission in vdB15 as well.  This is 17hrs total exposure. 
Also, I'm excited to mount a newly acquired AGO 12.5" iDK on the AP1100 soon!  I might need more counterweights though.  
joel

Image and details:  https://buckeyestargazer.net/Pages/Nebulae/vdB15.php

<image001.jpg>


Re: Initial GoTo In APCC Pro Cause Nose or Tail Dive

John
 

Aloha Ray,

  Yes sir, that FIXED IT!!  Thank you and sorry about all the confusion and trouble!

  I was logged onto this forum earlier, but missed the '2nd page'

  Via apcc, after connecting, manual slews worked with no problem, the dec coordinates display.  Tried a goto to Deneb and no problem!  I disconnected and reconnected again and
everything is good!  Never touched the 'find home button.'    Other than the sidereal tracking rate, I'm not seeing the  "extremely high tracking rate"  that you mentioned.

  I did have the ascom platform 6.5 installed a month or two ago, and Howard got me squared away with that (ie un-install it and use ver 6.4).  I haven't got to the point of
actually using the modeling module yet.  However, I was in the modeling tab last week to look around and I guess I must have enabled the pointing and tracking modeling.options
(when basically there was no 'real' model to use).  Thanks again for all your help!!  I'll be more careful

      John


Re: van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis

Steve Reilly
 

Very nice indeed.

 

-Steve

 

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joel Short
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2020 6:32 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis

 

Hello friends, I thought I'd share my latest image of van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis.  This image was taken with a tandem refractor setup mounted on an AP1100GTO CP4.  I was a little surprised how this one turned out considering it was captured during the smoky skies caused by the western wildfires this past Fall (I'm in norther IN). I'm working in the vdB catalog of reflection nebulae, although there is also a bit of emission in vdB15 as well.  This is 17hrs total exposure. 
Also, I'm excited to mount a newly acquired AGO 12.5" iDK on the AP1100 soon!  I might need more counterweights though.  
joel

Image and details:  https://buckeyestargazer.net/Pages/Nebulae/vdB15.php


Re: van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis

 

beautiful, wow. well done


On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 3:32 PM Joel Short <buckeyestargazer@...> wrote:
Hello friends, I thought I'd share my latest image of van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis.  This image was taken with a tandem refractor setup mounted on an AP1100GTO CP4.  I was a little surprised how this one turned out considering it was captured during the smoky skies caused by the western wildfires this past Fall (I'm in norther IN). I'm working in the vdB catalog of reflection nebulae, although there is also a bit of emission in vdB15 as well.  This is 17hrs total exposure. 
Also, I'm excited to mount a newly acquired AGO 12.5" iDK on the AP1100 soon!  I might need more counterweights though.  
joel

Image and details:  https://buckeyestargazer.net/Pages/Nebulae/vdB15.php



--
Brian 



Brian Valente


van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis

Joel Short
 

Hello friends, I thought I'd share my latest image of van den Bergh 14 and 15 in Camelopardalis.  This image was taken with a tandem refractor setup mounted on an AP1100GTO CP4.  I was a little surprised how this one turned out considering it was captured during the smoky skies caused by the western wildfires this past Fall (I'm in norther IN). I'm working in the vdB catalog of reflection nebulae, although there is also a bit of emission in vdB15 as well.  This is 17hrs total exposure. 
Also, I'm excited to mount a newly acquired AGO 12.5" iDK on the AP1100 soon!  I might need more counterweights though.  
joel

Image and details:  https://buckeyestargazer.net/Pages/Nebulae/vdB15.php


Re: Need width and thread size of threaded top end if 1.875” counterweight shafts

Mark Dearing
 

Thank you very much for the diameter and thread pitch!
I was hoping to find a tap of the same size; 
Roland, Howard, or George are invited to comment about this not being 
an ANSI size?

Mark

3401 - 3420 of 78584