Date   

Re: Which Camera?

Cheng-Yang Tan
 

Hi Charlie,
   Nothing else. *BUT*, of course, I already installed all the relevant STF8300 SBIG drivers for my camera for native control. Perhaps that needs to be installed as well.


 Anyhow, my STF camera showed up as an SBIG ASCOM Imaging camera driver in SharpCap. See this link:



I think I saw it in PEMPro as well but I didn't test it in PEMPro.

   See if you can see it in the ASCOM Profile Explorer tool.

cytan

On Friday, September 10, 2021, 01:35:57 PM CDT, Charlie Miller <acf900gto@...> wrote:


cytan:

Did you install any software other than just running the setup program?  Such as files from the SBIG site?  I was not able to access my ST-2000XCM via this ASCOM driver.  Windows 10 sees the camera's USB port as "Unknown."

Charlie

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 8:43 AM Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,

As for ASCOM for older SBIG cameras like STF8300 etc. is now available due to work by Cedric R. (very recently released )


executable is here:




I've tested it with my STF8300C and it works very well. I've been able to use SharpCap to calibrate my sensor with this ASCOM driver.

cytan




On Thursday, September 9, 2021, 08:39:18 AM CDT, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:


SBIG cameras are not bad, although they dont support ASCOM for a number of their older cameras which is a turnoff for most users these days as not all imaging software in use today supports native mode drivers for SBIG. 


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 5:46 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which Camera?
 
What's the general opinion of SBIG cameras ? They don't seem to have the popularity that they once did, but maybe that is because there are more options. I have seen from their ads that they are starting to offer some cooled CMOS cameras.

I have always felt that the quality of many brands of gear is inversely proportional to how frequently it shows up on the used equipment market, and then how long it stays on the market before it sells. You seldom see Astro-Physics gear on the used market, and when it does show up it usually sells the same day.

Mike



--
Charlie Miller
AP1100GTO
12" f/8 LX850-ACF
QSI683wsg


Re: Which Camera?

Charlie Miller
 

Dale and cytan:

Thanks for the info.  I downloaded the SBIG update driver and ran it.  Solved the USB problem and I was able to take and download dark frames.  I know a lot of people (especially those doing photometry) still rely on the older SBIG cameras, so this is a really valuable piece of software.  

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 1:37 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

You likely need to install the SBIG USB driver if you have not done so already.

> On Sep 10, 2021, at 14:35, Charlie Miller <acf900gto@...> wrote:
>
> cytan:
>
> Did you install any software other than just running the setup program?  Such as files from the SBIG site?  I was not able to access my ST-2000XCM via this ASCOM driver.  Windows 10 sees the camera's USB port as "Unknown."
>
> Charlie
>
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 8:43 AM Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> As for ASCOM for older SBIG cameras like STF8300 etc. is now available due to work by Cedric R. (very recently released )
>
> https://github.com/cedric-r/ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera
>
> executable is here:
>
> ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera/HomeMade SBIG Camera Setup.exe at main · cedric-r/ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera
>
>       
> ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera/HomeMade SBIG Camera Setup.exe at main · cedri...
> Driver ASCOM for SBIG cameras. Contribute to cedric-r/ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera development by creating an accou...
>
>
> I've tested it with my STF8300C and it works very well. I've been able to use SharpCap to calibrate my sensor with this ASCOM driver.
>
> cytan
>
>
>
>
> On Thursday, September 9, 2021, 08:39:18 AM CDT, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
>
>
> SBIG cameras are not bad, although they dont support ASCOM for a number of their older cameras which is a turnoff for most users these days as not all imaging software in use today supports native mode drivers for SBIG.
>
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
> Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 5:46 AM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which Camera?

> What's the general opinion of SBIG cameras ? They don't seem to have the popularity that they once did, but maybe that is because there are more options. I have seen from their ads that they are starting to offer some cooled CMOS cameras.
>
> I have always felt that the quality of many brands of gear is inversely proportional to how frequently it shows up on the used equipment market, and then how long it stays on the market before it sells. You seldom see Astro-Physics gear on the used market, and when it does show up it usually sells the same day.
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>
> --
> Charlie Miller
> AP1100GTO
> 12" f/8 LX850-ACF
> QSI683wsg
>








--
Charlie Miller
AP1100GTO
12" f/8 LX850-ACF
QSI683wsg


Re: Which Camera?

Dale Ghent
 

You likely need to install the SBIG USB driver if you have not done so already.

On Sep 10, 2021, at 14:35, Charlie Miller <acf900gto@gmail.com> wrote:

cytan:

Did you install any software other than just running the setup program? Such as files from the SBIG site? I was not able to access my ST-2000XCM via this ASCOM driver. Windows 10 sees the camera's USB port as "Unknown."

Charlie

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 8:43 AM Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,

As for ASCOM for older SBIG cameras like STF8300 etc. is now available due to work by Cedric R. (very recently released )

https://github.com/cedric-r/ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera

executable is here:

ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera/HomeMade SBIG Camera Setup.exe at main · cedric-r/ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera


ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera/HomeMade SBIG Camera Setup.exe at main · cedri...
Driver ASCOM for SBIG cameras. Contribute to cedric-r/ASCOM.HomeMade.SBIGCamera development by creating an accou...


I've tested it with my STF8300C and it works very well. I've been able to use SharpCap to calibrate my sensor with this ASCOM driver.

cytan




On Thursday, September 9, 2021, 08:39:18 AM CDT, Bill Long <bill@outlook.com> wrote:


SBIG cameras are not bad, although they dont support ASCOM for a number of their older cameras which is a turnoff for most users these days as not all imaging software in use today supports native mode drivers for SBIG.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of M Hambrick <mhambrick563@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 5:46 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which Camera?

What's the general opinion of SBIG cameras ? They don't seem to have the popularity that they once did, but maybe that is because there are more options. I have seen from their ads that they are starting to offer some cooled CMOS cameras.

I have always felt that the quality of many brands of gear is inversely proportional to how frequently it shows up on the used equipment market, and then how long it stays on the market before it sells. You seldom see Astro-Physics gear on the used market, and when it does show up it usually sells the same day.

Mike




--
Charlie Miller
AP1100GTO
12" f/8 LX850-ACF
QSI683wsg


Re: Which Camera?

Charlie Miller
 

cytan:

Did you install any software other than just running the setup program?  Such as files from the SBIG site?  I was not able to access my ST-2000XCM via this ASCOM driver.  Windows 10 sees the camera's USB port as "Unknown."

Charlie

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 8:43 AM Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,

As for ASCOM for older SBIG cameras like STF8300 etc. is now available due to work by Cedric R. (very recently released )


executable is here:




I've tested it with my STF8300C and it works very well. I've been able to use SharpCap to calibrate my sensor with this ASCOM driver.

cytan




On Thursday, September 9, 2021, 08:39:18 AM CDT, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:


SBIG cameras are not bad, although they dont support ASCOM for a number of their older cameras which is a turnoff for most users these days as not all imaging software in use today supports native mode drivers for SBIG. 


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 5:46 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which Camera?
 
What's the general opinion of SBIG cameras ? They don't seem to have the popularity that they once did, but maybe that is because there are more options. I have seen from their ads that they are starting to offer some cooled CMOS cameras.

I have always felt that the quality of many brands of gear is inversely proportional to how frequently it shows up on the used equipment market, and then how long it stays on the market before it sells. You seldom see Astro-Physics gear on the used market, and when it does show up it usually sells the same day.

Mike



--
Charlie Miller
AP1100GTO
12" f/8 LX850-ACF
QSI683wsg


Re: AP1200 not parking correctly

Roland Christen
 


I assumed "ref"
did something special to the mount's internal sky model.
When we first configured the GoTo mounts we decided to use Park1 as a reference position that could be easy for the user to set up the mount using a simple carpenter's level. The other park positions were 2 and 3 and those could not be set up easily with just a level. You could eyeball them, but could not use a level to get the counterweight shaft to be vertical.

So, Park 1 was chosen as the preferred setup reference because both scope (Dec axis) and counterweight shaft (RA axis) could be fine tuned with a level. This took care of the vertical axis adjustment and left only the azimuth axis to be dialed in. That of course requires some known object in the sky, and that object could be the sun in the daytime. So a person could very easily set up his mount and get very close to polar alignment while the sun was up by simply leveling the axes in Park1 (reference park) and then sending the scope to the sun and adjusting the azimuth axis until the sun was centered. Once there you could find planets and bright stars in the daytime. That was the basis for our daytime Polar Alignment routine. Does it work? Yes indeed and I have used it at many star parties in the past to show ordinary folks that stars actually do shine during the day.

Rolando


-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Dodd <mike@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Sep 10, 2021 11:42 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1200 not parking correctly

On 9/10/2021 12:35 PM, George wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Park 5 is one of the options in the AP V2 driver and APCC.    It is
> only available in the v5.xx firmware of the keypad.    I assumed
> that you were using a computer.

I am using a computer, but not APCC. The reason I used the keypad was
because the menu includes "unpark from REF park1" and I assumed "ref"
did something special to the mount's internal sky model.

If not, and if "unpark from last parked" in the driver GUI is
sufficient, then I will never again use the keypad when I need to re-do
the axes.

--- Mike







--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: AP1200 not parking correctly

George
 

Mike,

If you need help setting up the software, you can reference the Quick Start Guide:
https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/quick-start-workflow-guide.pdf
You can also call me and I can assist you.

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.
Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)
Email:  george@astro-physics.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Dodd
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 11:43 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1200 not parking correctly

On 9/10/2021 12:35 PM, George wrote:
Mike,

Park 5 is one of the options in the AP V2 driver and APCC. It is
only available in the v5.xx firmware of the keypad. I assumed
that you were using a computer.
I am using a computer, but not APCC. The reason I used the keypad was because the menu includes "unpark from REF park1" and I assumed "ref"
did something special to the mount's internal sky model.

If not, and if "unpark from last parked" in the driver GUI is sufficient, then I will never again use the keypad when I need to re-do the axes.

--- Mike


Re: AP1200 not parking correctly

Mike Dodd
 

On 9/10/2021 12:35 PM, George wrote:
Mike,

Park 5 is one of the options in the AP V2 driver and APCC. It is
only available in the v5.xx firmware of the keypad. I assumed
that you were using a computer.
I am using a computer, but not APCC. The reason I used the keypad was because the menu includes "unpark from REF park1" and I assumed "ref" did something special to the mount's internal sky model.

If not, and if "unpark from last parked" in the driver GUI is sufficient, then I will never again use the keypad when I need to re-do the axes.

--- Mike


Re: AP1200 not parking correctly

George
 

Mike,

Park 5 is one of the options in the AP V2 driver and APCC. It is only available in the v5.xx firmware of the keypad. I assumed that you were using a computer.

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.
Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)
Email:  george@astro-physics.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Dodd
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 11:10 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1200 not parking correctly

On 9/10/2021 12:01 PM, George wrote:
Mike,

The best position is Park 5...scope level on east side and pointing
north. Doesn't have the cable swings.
If I do Park 5 and then loosen the clutches and re-level the axes, how do I do the equivalent as my hand box's "Resume From ref Park1" in the ASCOM driver GUI?

Should I just "Unpark from last parked" and then do a recal in SkyX?
That definitely would make the process simple and straightforward. I'm confused by the "ref" in the hand box's "Resume From ref Park1" menu item.

Thanks, George.

--- Mike


Re: AP1200 not parking correctly

Mike Dodd
 

On 9/10/2021 12:01 PM, George wrote:
Mike,

The best position is Park 5...scope level on east side and pointing
north. Doesn't have the cable swings.
If I do Park 5 and then loosen the clutches and re-level the axes, how do I do the equivalent as my hand box's "Resume From ref Park1" in the ASCOM driver GUI?

Should I just "Unpark from last parked" and then do a recal in SkyX? That definitely would make the process simple and straightforward. I'm confused by the "ref" in the hand box's "Resume From ref Park1" menu item.

Thanks, George.

--- Mike


Re: AP1200 not parking correctly

George
 

Mike,

The best position is Park 5...scope level on east side and pointing north. Doesn't have the cable swings.

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.
Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)
Email:  george@astro-physics.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Dodd
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 10:57 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1200 not parking correctly

On 9/10/2021 10:44 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
Hi Mike,

I doubt the alternate COM port had anything to do with this. Were you
using APCC?
No. Just APJog and the ASCOM driver GUI.

If you park again, do you get the same Alt/Az readbacks?
Yes. But I discovered the problem -- I must have bumped the RA axis yesterday. When I connected the hand box and parked to Park1 (I know, should be Park4, but I need to re-jigger some cables to safely reach
Park4) the CW shaft was noticeably not horizontal.

I put my machinist's level on the CW shaft and re-leveled it (along with re-doing the Dec level), and then did a Resume from Park1 on the hand box.

After power-off/power-on and the hand box unplugged, I connected with APJog and used the ASCOM driver buttons to slew the mount to Az=90, Alt=0, and not only did the scope look right, the roof controller detected the correct "at-park safe" position from the magnet switches.

So all looks good. Tonight I'll do a recal in SkyX, then hopefully everything will be returned to normal.

--- Mike


Re: AP1200 not parking correctly

Mike Dodd
 

On 9/10/2021 10:44 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
Hi Mike,

I doubt the alternate COM port had anything to do with this. Were you
using APCC?
No. Just APJog and the ASCOM driver GUI.

If you park again, do you get the same Alt/Az readbacks?
Yes. But I discovered the problem -- I must have bumped the RA axis yesterday. When I connected the hand box and parked to Park1 (I know, should be Park4, but I need to re-jigger some cables to safely reach Park4) the CW shaft was noticeably not horizontal.

I put my machinist's level on the CW shaft and re-leveled it (along with re-doing the Dec level), and then did a Resume from Park1 on the hand box.

After power-off/power-on and the hand box unplugged, I connected with APJog and used the ASCOM driver buttons to slew the mount to Az=90, Alt=0, and not only did the scope look right, the roof controller detected the correct "at-park safe" position from the magnet switches.

So all looks good. Tonight I'll do a recal in SkyX, then hopefully everything will be returned to normal.

--- Mike


Re: AP1200 not parking correctly

Ray Gralak
 

Hi Mike,

I doubt the alternate COM port had anything to do with this. Were you using APCC?

If you park again, do you get the same Alt/Az readbacks?

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Dodd
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 6:38 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1200 not parking correctly

Tonight my AP1200 mount displays an incorrect Az/Alt or RA/Dec when in
my custom Park position. Last night everything was fine.

The ONLY thing that changed today was the port number on an Edgeport
USB-serial box. Last night it was COM4, but today I changed it to COM18
to avoid problems with Win10 updates changing plug-and-play ports.
Tomorrow I will connect the cable to the PC's COM1 port to see if that
makes any difference. I'll be astounded if it does.

I ran the ASCOM driver setup utility, and changed the port there to
COM18, and the utility reported "Mount found!" See the attached screen shot.

My custom park position is due-east -- Az=90, Alt=0. I have magnetic
switches for my roof controller to verify the mount is parked in this
position. I connected to the mount with the AP Jog utility , and slewed
the mount to the correct physical position, confirmed visually and with
the roof controller's magnetic switches.

But the driver shows Alt=-06:27, Az=80:56. and the RA/Dec are wrong, too.

I double-checked my site lat/long in the driver setup utility, and they
are correct. I also clicked the "Set Lat/Long from Mount" button, and
the utility still showed the correct coordinates.

In the ASCOM driver, I clicked the "Re-Sync Mount to PC Time" button.
The driver displays the correct time and time zone.

What could have gone wrong? I understand how incorrect site coordinates
or the wrong time would throw things off, but they all check out.

Thanks for any and all help.

--- Mike





Re: APCC Pro "Lastest Install" not Latest #APCC

Ray Gralak
 

available. I uninstalled, and tried it again with the same results. Fortunately, I still had the v1.9.0.5 install file
and reinstalled it. It appears that the wrong file is linked on the AP website.
The APCC Pro and Standard files linked from the AP website have been updated.

Note that you can also use "Check for Updates" in APCC's help menu to get you a link to the latest from within APCC.

BTW, 1.9.0.5a was copied over to 1.9.0.5, so they are the exact same installer.

-Ray



-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of psparkman via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 5:36 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APCC Pro "Lastest Install" not Latest #APCC

I just downloaded the latest APCC Pro v1.9.0.5a from the AP website. It downloads as ApccProLatest.
However, when I install it, it installs version v1.9.0.1 and has the banner at the top that says an update is
available. I uninstalled, and tried it again with the same results. Fortunately, I still had the v1.9.0.5 install file
and reinstalled it. It appears that the wrong file is linked on the AP website.


AP1200 not parking correctly

Mike Dodd
 

Tonight my AP1200 mount displays an incorrect Az/Alt or RA/Dec when in my custom Park position. Last night everything was fine.

The ONLY thing that changed today was the port number on an Edgeport USB-serial box. Last night it was COM4, but today I changed it to COM18 to avoid problems with Win10 updates changing plug-and-play ports. Tomorrow I will connect the cable to the PC's COM1 port to see if that makes any difference. I'll be astounded if it does.

I ran the ASCOM driver setup utility, and changed the port there to COM18, and the utility reported "Mount found!" See the attached screen shot.

My custom park position is due-east -- Az=90, Alt=0. I have magnetic switches for my roof controller to verify the mount is parked in this position. I connected to the mount with the AP Jog utility , and slewed the mount to the correct physical position, confirmed visually and with the roof controller's magnetic switches.

But the driver shows Alt=-06:27, Az=80:56. and the RA/Dec are wrong, too.

I double-checked my site lat/long in the driver setup utility, and they are correct. I also clicked the "Set Lat/Long from Mount" button, and the utility still showed the correct coordinates.

In the ASCOM driver, I clicked the "Re-Sync Mount to PC Time" button. The driver displays the correct time and time zone.

What could have gone wrong? I understand how incorrect site coordinates or the wrong time would throw things off, but they all check out.

Thanks for any and all help.

--- Mike


Re: APCC Pro "Lastest Install" not Latest #APCC

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri
 

Yes, I was just about to report this as well !

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of psparkman via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 8:36 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APCC Pro "Lastest Install" not Latest #APCC

 

I just downloaded the latest APCC Pro v1.9.0.5a from the AP website.  It downloads as ApccProLatest.  However, when I install it, it installs version v1.9.0.1 and has the banner at the top that says an update is available.  I uninstalled, and tried it again with the same results.  Fortunately, I still had the v1.9.0.5 install file and reinstalled it.  It appears that the wrong file is linked on the AP website.


APCC Pro "Lastest Install" not Latest #APCC

psparkman@...
 

I just downloaded the latest APCC Pro v1.9.0.5a from the AP website.  It downloads as ApccProLatest.  However, when I install it, it installs version v1.9.0.1 and has the banner at the top that says an update is available.  I uninstalled, and tried it again with the same results.  Fortunately, I still had the v1.9.0.5 install file and reinstalled it.  It appears that the wrong file is linked on the AP website.


Re: Which Camera?

M Hambrick
 

I guess SBIG must have heard some of Chris' complaints because their newer models seem to be getting lighter and more streamlined. My STXL16200 weighs in at over 7 pounds, but their newer cameras are much lighter in the 2 - 3 pound range. They also seem to be trying to reduce the backfocus length in their cameras.

Mike


Re: appm trailing stars at specific DEC

Roland Christen
 

I don't suppose you are there by the scope when it does this, so you can't really tell me what is happening at the motor level in each axis?

Roland


-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Valente <bvalente@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Sep 9, 2021 5:42 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] appm trailing stars at specific DEC

Thanks Roland

Howard and others helped us previously to tune 17", so I wasn't thinking of you specifically ;)



On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 1:53 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
By anyone, you probably mean me. If you have a lot of moment arm on the mount (lots of heavy counterweights far down on the cwt shaft), then you might have a situation where the scope is doing a bit of pendulum motion. Can't tell which axis by your image, but probably RA. You say Dec 50 and 70, but it's probably when the counterweight shaft is near horizontal and the scope is pointing near the meridian. That's the place where all the moments add to give you the least stability and the most moment reaction on the RA axis.

We can tame that, so i can provide you with some specific instructions that you can enter via APCC.

Roland



-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Valente <bvalente@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Sep 9, 2021 3:25 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] appm trailing stars at specific DEC

Hi everyone

(logs/images at the end of post)

Has anyone else seen this? ideas or suggestions appreciated

Building a model in APPM 1.9.0.1, stars in images are trailing at specific sky areas specifically at DEC 50 and parts of DEC 70

I have a long (to me) 30 second settle time for the mount, and enabled "required high accuracy slews" - still end up with long streaking stars of a consistent distance. 

this example crop is @ 100%
image.png

 
during the settling time, APPM will display "Slew warning". the log shows coordinates oscillating in RA  - example log excerpt at the end of this post

Outside of DEC 50 and 70, model images look fine, round stars, etc.

I even bumped up settle time to 120 seconds, which lessened the number of these, but still see them

Important detail: We switched from CDK17 to CDK20, and went through balancing and polar alignment, etc. It's been suggested that some of our mount parameters may need to be tweaked by AP experts. 


example "Slew Warning" 
0000262 2021-09-01 19:05:06.330:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.63s /  -70° 00' 00.2")
0000263 2021-09-01 19:05:08.130:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 37.49s /  -69° 59' 59.6")
0000264 2021-09-01 19:05:09.725:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.06s /  -70° 00' 00.3")
0000265 2021-09-01 19:05:11.331:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 41.59s /  -70° 00' 00.4")
0000266 2021-09-01 19:05:13.174:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 37.37s /  -69° 59' 59.3")
0000267 2021-09-01 19:05:14.794:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.44s /  -69° 59' 59.7")
0000268 2021-09-01 19:05:16.386:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 37.31s /  -69° 59' 59.9")
0000269 2021-09-01 19:05:18.202:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 39.33s /  -70° 00' 00.1")
0000270 2021-09-01 19:05:19.804:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.41s /  -70° 00' 00.1")
0000271 2021-09-01 19:05:21.372:     Severe,    SLEW WARNING, Slew did not reach destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.41s /  -70° 00' 00.1")

Image files of entire run (including good and failed fits) and log:

--
Brian 



Brian Valente

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


--
Brian 



Brian Valente

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: appm trailing stars at specific DEC

 

Thanks Roland

Howard and others helped us previously to tune 17", so I wasn't thinking of you specifically ;)



On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 1:53 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
By anyone, you probably mean me. If you have a lot of moment arm on the mount (lots of heavy counterweights far down on the cwt shaft), then you might have a situation where the scope is doing a bit of pendulum motion. Can't tell which axis by your image, but probably RA. You say Dec 50 and 70, but it's probably when the counterweight shaft is near horizontal and the scope is pointing near the meridian. That's the place where all the moments add to give you the least stability and the most moment reaction on the RA axis.

We can tame that, so i can provide you with some specific instructions that you can enter via APCC.

Roland



-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Valente <bvalente@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Sep 9, 2021 3:25 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] appm trailing stars at specific DEC

Hi everyone

(logs/images at the end of post)

Has anyone else seen this? ideas or suggestions appreciated

Building a model in APPM 1.9.0.1, stars in images are trailing at specific sky areas specifically at DEC 50 and parts of DEC 70

I have a long (to me) 30 second settle time for the mount, and enabled "required high accuracy slews" - still end up with long streaking stars of a consistent distance. 

this example crop is @ 100%
image.png

 
during the settling time, APPM will display "Slew warning". the log shows coordinates oscillating in RA  - example log excerpt at the end of this post

Outside of DEC 50 and 70, model images look fine, round stars, etc.

I even bumped up settle time to 120 seconds, which lessened the number of these, but still see them

Important detail: We switched from CDK17 to CDK20, and went through balancing and polar alignment, etc. It's been suggested that some of our mount parameters may need to be tweaked by AP experts. 


example "Slew Warning" 
0000262 2021-09-01 19:05:06.330:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.63s /  -70° 00' 00.2")
0000263 2021-09-01 19:05:08.130:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 37.49s /  -69° 59' 59.6")
0000264 2021-09-01 19:05:09.725:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.06s /  -70° 00' 00.3")
0000265 2021-09-01 19:05:11.331:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 41.59s /  -70° 00' 00.4")
0000266 2021-09-01 19:05:13.174:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 37.37s /  -69° 59' 59.3")
0000267 2021-09-01 19:05:14.794:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.44s /  -69° 59' 59.7")
0000268 2021-09-01 19:05:16.386:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 37.31s /  -69° 59' 59.9")
0000269 2021-09-01 19:05:18.202:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 39.33s /  -70° 00' 00.1")
0000270 2021-09-01 19:05:19.804:    Warning,    SLEW WARNING, Slew has not reached destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.41s /  -70° 00' 00.1")
0000271 2021-09-01 19:05:21.372:     Severe,    SLEW WARNING, Slew did not reach destination: Target=( 18h 58m 39.41s /  -70° 00' 00.0") -- Mount=( 18h 58m 38.41s /  -70° 00' 00.1")

Image files of entire run (including good and failed fits) and log:

--
Brian 



Brian Valente

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics



--
Brian 



Brian Valente


Re: Interesting way to image with a cheap mount

Dean Jacobsen
 

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 12:52 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
Nice trick, no?
No.
 
--
Dean Jacobsen
Astrobin Image Gallery - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/

1601 - 1620 of 82404