Date   

Re: The AP YouTube Channel

Wayne Hixson
 

Thanks Mark!


Re: The AP YouTube Channel

 

Wayne,

 

Dale created a webpage “Using N.I.N.A. with Astro-Physics Mounts”. We have linked it from our APCC page and are working with Dale on how to link to it or include it in from the YouTube channel.

https://daleghent.com/nina-and-astro-physics-mounts

 

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Wayne Hixson via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2022 9:35 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] The AP YouTube Channel

 

Excellent! Love YouTube for practical lessons. Suggest one one using NINA with AP mounts. Like meridian flip coordination and modeling. 

Wayne


Re: The AP YouTube Channel

Bill Long
 

Roland has a good document on how. Would make for a cool video.



From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Emilio J. Robau, P.E. <ejr@...>
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2022 7:59 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] The AP YouTube Channel
 
I watched the PHD2 video.  It was good.   I am going to run out backlash before I calibrate.    I have not been doing that.   The 1600 is fine, but the 900 may benefit from running out the backlash.

Bill,

Cleaning your AP Refractor is a secret.  No one touches the glass.  At least, no one admits to it.


Re: The AP YouTube Channel

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.
 

I watched the PHD2 video.  It was good.   I am going to run out backlash before I calibrate.    I have not been doing that.   The 1600 is fine, but the 900 may benefit from running out the backlash.

Bill,

Cleaning your AP Refractor is a secret.  No one touches the glass.  At least, no one admits to it.


Re: The AP YouTube Channel

Bill Long
 

Some ideas:

Dec Arc Modeling
PEMPro Curve
Upgrading CP Control Box
Updating Keypad
Daytime Polar Alignment
Cleaning Your AP Refractor

Bill



From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Karen Christen <karen@...>
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2022 6:54 PM
To: ap-ug@groups.io <ap-ug@groups.io>; ap-gto@groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] The AP YouTube Channel
 

[Edited Message Follows]

Hey Astronuts,

 

Many of you have let us know the way of the instructional future is in video.  So we’ve begun making some on a variety of topics.  Check out the Astro-Physics YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/AstroPhysicsCorp We’re steadily adding more, but you can find helpful, informative videos on these topics now:

  • Using PHD2 with your AP Non-Encoder Mount  (Encoder mount version coming soon!)
  • Using Sequence Generator Pro with your AP Mount
  • Installing and Absolute Encoder Kit on your AP 1100GTO or 1600GTO
  • APCC: Setting up Horizons
  • APCC: Setting up Connections

 

Let us know what you think and what topics may be most helpful for future videos.

Karen & the Astro-Folks

AP


--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: The AP YouTube Channel

Greg McCall
 

Seeing you have some APCC videos, perhaps one on setting up APCC for people that only do portable and have to set up each time.
It can be fiddly to set up the settings which are not in all in one spot (ie. different tabs and modules if also modelling) and particularly with different OTAs (hopefully resulting in a cheat sheet to cover all location/HW changes needed for different gear and location)

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 1:24 PM Karen Christen <karen@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hey Astronuts,

 

Many of you have let us know the way of the instructional future is in video.  So we’ve begun making some on a variety of topics.  Check out the Astro-Physics YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/AstroPhysicsCorp We’re steadily adding more, but you can find helpful, informative videos on these topics now:

  • Using PHD2 with your AP Non-Encoder Mount  (Encoder mount version coming soon!)
  • Using Sequence Generator Pro with your AP Mount
  • Installing and Absolute Encoder Kit on your AP 1100GTO or 1600GTO
  • APCC: Setting up Horizons
  • APCC: Setting up Connections

 

Let us know what you think and what topics may be most helpful for future videos.

Karen & the Astro-Folks

AP


--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: The AP YouTube Channel

Wayne Hixson
 

Excellent! Love YouTube for practical lessons. Suggest one one using NINA with AP mounts. Like meridian flip coordination and modeling. 

Wayne


Re: The AP YouTube Channel

Marcelo Figueroa
 

Oh! :D
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

In all seriousness, moving on from this day, it would be a great initiative.


Re: AP400GTO Axis Bolt

Christopher Erickson
 

Astromart Seller.


-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com
   

On Fri, Apr 1, 2022, 7:08 PM Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
“AM seller”?

On Apr1, 2022, at 2119, weems@... wrote:

For the altitude, McMaster #6608K34. For the azimuth #6608K53. The AM seller had the altitude handles ceracoated. They are normally bare stainless.

Chip

<AP600E.jpeg>


Re: AP400GTO Axis Bolt

Howard Ritter
 

“AM seller”?

On Apr1, 2022, at 2119, weems@... wrote:

For the altitude, McMaster #6608K34. For the azimuth #6608K53. The AM seller had the altitude handles ceracoated. They are normally bare stainless.

Chip

<AP600E.jpeg>


The AP YouTube Channel

Karen Christen
 
Edited

Hey Astronuts,

 

Many of you have let us know the way of the instructional future is in video.  So we’ve begun making some on a variety of topics.  Check out the Astro-Physics YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/AstroPhysicsCorp We’re steadily adding more, but you can find helpful, informative videos on these topics now:

  • Using PHD2 with your AP Non-Encoder Mount  (Encoder mount version coming soon!)
  • Using Sequence Generator Pro with your AP Mount
  • Installing and Absolute Encoder Kit on your AP 1100GTO or 1600GTO
  • APCC: Setting up Horizons
  • APCC: Setting up Connections

 

Let us know what you think and what topics may be most helpful for future videos.

Karen & the Astro-Folks

AP


--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: AP400GTO Axis Bolt

weems@...
 

For the altitude, McMaster #6608K34. For the azimuth #6608K53. The AM seller had the altitude handles ceracoated. They are normally bare stainless.

Chip


Re: AP400GTO Axis Bolt

George
 

Bill,

 

Email me directly and I’ll track it down for you.

 

Regards,

 

George

 

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2022 8:50 PM
To: AP-GTO Groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] AP400GTO Axis Bolt

 

Trying to determine if AP sells a replacement for the large bolt on the side of the fork that seems to lock the axis after alignment. Perhaps a captains wheel or something?

 

See photo:

 

image/jpeg


Re: AP400GTO Axis Bolt

Howard Ritter
 

Chip—

Can you give me a link or specifications for the 600E parts? That sounds like a very good idea.

—howard

On Mar 31, 2022, at 11:25 PM, weems@... wrote:

McMaster sells adjustable handle knobs in many sizes, including metric. I replaced the ones on the 600E with them, for tool free setup. The altitude set came from a very helpful AM seller who also gave me a link to the size for the azimuth set.

Chip


Re: Deep Helix

Howard Ritter
 

That’s very generous of you, Roland, and a fine contribution to the whole community.

—howard

On Mar 31, 2022, at 5:34 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Do we sell time? No, it's not ours to sell. The installation including the scopes and mounts belong to Carnegie and they allocate time to various groups for research and training. We get time on the scope. We donated the scope, FLI donated the camera with electronic focuser and I believe the filter set (10 filters) was also donated.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Mar 31, 2022 3:27 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

That’s very interesting, Roland, and thanks for the additional background.

Do you ever sell time on the Mak to remote imagers?

—howard

On Mar 31, 2022, at 11:29 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The facility was built by the Carnegie foundation and sat idle for a while. We were invited to put a scope up at one end of the building. For us it was a good opportunity to set up a remote observatory so we could test out our systems and software in actual use. As far as the scope, there's nothing more rugged than a Mak-Cass. No moving mirrors, no flexing of the optical path, mirrors totally enclosed so the coatings don't degrade. It eliminates a lot of variables when you want to develop control software for remote operation.

The building has a second 1600 mount with a 300mm Takahashi RC that is used in several research projects. It is also being readied for a third scope of 20" aperture, again for research.

We have a number of other mount installations around the world with 20" RCs that are doing professional work (not taking pretty pictures). We have learned a lot about what works and what to avoid, and this is our primary purpose. Taking pretty pictures is just the icing on the cake.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2022 9:38 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

The remote scope is mouth-watering, Roland! Thanks for posting the link.

It seems to me that the cost of constructing such a large and robust building in that remote and forbidding place, laying the electricals to it, equipping it with the support electronics, and so on, must outweigh the cost of the the current scope it houses by a factor of several. Or 10. If you don’t mind an indelicate and intrusive question: After committing whatever level of funding to the cause, why stop at 12”? Why not go 10% higher and double the aperture, twice the bang for only a little more buck? That place looks like it wants the 24” PlaneWave on an el Capitan that you showed at NEAF!

—howard

On Mar 30, 2022, at 6:45 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:


Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Stephens <mikestephens-milkeycorp@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2022 5:27 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

Hi there Rolondo - I would love to see any pics of ur observatory in Chile. rgds & tnx, Mike

PS- Nice Shot. Way to go Howard and Dave! 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: AP400GTO Axis Bolt

weems@...
 

McMaster sells adjustable handle knobs in many sizes, including metric. I replaced the ones on the 600E with them, for tool free setup. The altitude set came from a very helpful AM seller who also gave me a link to the size for the azimuth set.

Chip


Re: AP400GTO Axis Bolt

Peter Nagy
 

See cover page of Mach1 manual: 

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/mach1gto/mach1gto-2014-0814%20web.pdf

Hopefully it would fit your AP400.

Peter


AP400GTO Axis Bolt

Bill Long
 

Trying to determine if AP sells a replacement for the large bolt on the side of the fork that seems to lock the axis after alignment. Perhaps a captains wheel or something?

See photo:

image/jpeg


Re: Deep Helix

Jeff B
 

Very generous of you all Roland.

Well done sir.

Jeff

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 5:34 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Do we sell time? No, it's not ours to sell. The installation including the scopes and mounts belong to Carnegie and they allocate time to various groups for research and training. We get time on the scope. We donated the scope, FLI donated the camera with electronic focuser and I believe the filter set (10 filters) was also donated.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter=mac.com@groups.io>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Mar 31, 2022 3:27 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

That’s very interesting, Roland, and thanks for the additional background.

Do you ever sell time on the Mak to remote imagers?

—howard

On Mar 31, 2022, at 11:29 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The facility was built by the Carnegie foundation and sat idle for a while. We were invited to put a scope up at one end of the building. For us it was a good opportunity to set up a remote observatory so we could test out our systems and software in actual use. As far as the scope, there's nothing more rugged than a Mak-Cass. No moving mirrors, no flexing of the optical path, mirrors totally enclosed so the coatings don't degrade. It eliminates a lot of variables when you want to develop control software for remote operation.

The building has a second 1600 mount with a 300mm Takahashi RC that is used in several research projects. It is also being readied for a third scope of 20" aperture, again for research.

We have a number of other mount installations around the world with 20" RCs that are doing professional work (not taking pretty pictures). We have learned a lot about what works and what to avoid, and this is our primary purpose. Taking pretty pictures is just the icing on the cake.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2022 9:38 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

The remote scope is mouth-watering, Roland! Thanks for posting the link.

It seems to me that the cost of constructing such a large and robust building in that remote and forbidding place, laying the electricals to it, equipping it with the support electronics, and so on, must outweigh the cost of the the current scope it houses by a factor of several. Or 10. If you don’t mind an indelicate and intrusive question: After committing whatever level of funding to the cause, why stop at 12”? Why not go 10% higher and double the aperture, twice the bang for only a little more buck? That place looks like it wants the 24” PlaneWave on an el Capitan that you showed at NEAF!

—howard

On Mar 30, 2022, at 6:45 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:


Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Stephens <mikestephens-milkeycorp@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2022 5:27 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

Hi there Rolondo - I would love to see any pics of ur observatory in Chile. rgds & tnx, Mike

PS- Nice Shot. Way to go Howard and Dave! 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: Deep Helix

Roland Christen
 

Do we sell time? No, it's not ours to sell. The installation including the scopes and mounts belong to Carnegie and they allocate time to various groups for research and training. We get time on the scope. We donated the scope, FLI donated the camera with electronic focuser and I believe the filter set (10 filters) was also donated.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Mar 31, 2022 3:27 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

That’s very interesting, Roland, and thanks for the additional background.

Do you ever sell time on the Mak to remote imagers?

—howard

On Mar 31, 2022, at 11:29 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The facility was built by the Carnegie foundation and sat idle for a while. We were invited to put a scope up at one end of the building. For us it was a good opportunity to set up a remote observatory so we could test out our systems and software in actual use. As far as the scope, there's nothing more rugged than a Mak-Cass. No moving mirrors, no flexing of the optical path, mirrors totally enclosed so the coatings don't degrade. It eliminates a lot of variables when you want to develop control software for remote operation.

The building has a second 1600 mount with a 300mm Takahashi RC that is used in several research projects. It is also being readied for a third scope of 20" aperture, again for research.

We have a number of other mount installations around the world with 20" RCs that are doing professional work (not taking pretty pictures). We have learned a lot about what works and what to avoid, and this is our primary purpose. Taking pretty pictures is just the icing on the cake.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2022 9:38 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

The remote scope is mouth-watering, Roland! Thanks for posting the link.

It seems to me that the cost of constructing such a large and robust building in that remote and forbidding place, laying the electricals to it, equipping it with the support electronics, and so on, must outweigh the cost of the the current scope it houses by a factor of several. Or 10. If you don’t mind an indelicate and intrusive question: After committing whatever level of funding to the cause, why stop at 12”? Why not go 10% higher and double the aperture, twice the bang for only a little more buck? That place looks like it wants the 24” PlaneWave on an el Capitan that you showed at NEAF!

—howard

On Mar 30, 2022, at 6:45 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:


Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Stephens <mikestephens-milkeycorp@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2022 5:27 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

Hi there Rolondo - I would love to see any pics of ur observatory in Chile. rgds & tnx, Mike

PS- Nice Shot. Way to go Howard and Dave! 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics