Date   

Recurring error in AP V2 Ascom driver: "One or more values are out of range: LatSecondsLngSeconds..." #ASCOM_V2_Driver

Steve Wilkins
 

Anyone striking this error?
- On starting the driver, the site latitude and longitude seconds fields are highlighted in blue.
- also the site elevation has one or more added zeroes but is not highlighted in blue
- the driver will not close until the error is corrected.
- editing the seconds fields to remove the decimal places allows me to save the site and close the driver.
- next time I use the driver the errors occur again.

I have tried updating the site also in APCC in case there is a link to the ACON driver, but this does not help.


Re: AP1100 loading heavy scope at 60 inch pier height

Shailesh Trivedi
 

Eric,

This is an excellent suggestion. I just sent an email to purchase a tote for my TEC 180. Thank you for this tip it should help with leverage and lift in the absence of the handle which is attached to the dovetail bar.

Shailesh


Re: AP1100 loading heavy scope at 60 inch pier height

Eric Baumgartner
 

Hi, Shailesh:

 

I have a TMB 175 f/8 OTA on an AP1200GTO that I set up and tear down for each observing session. I use the open-ring loading technique with Park 2 that George and Roland recommend. However, for added security I invested in a “Scope Tote,” which looks like a giant blood pressure cuff with a wood dowel handle. It securely wraps tightly around the OTA and gives me something to grab on to when I hoist the telescope up to the open rings. You can find them here:

 

http://astronomy-shoppe.com/?page_id=177

 

Hope this is helpful.

 

Eric Baumgartner

Redding CT USA

 

From: Astro-Physics GTO users group <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...>
Reply-To: Astro-Physics GTO users group <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date: Friday, April 30, 2021 at 3:01 PM
To: Astro-Physics GTO users group <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1100 loading heavy scope at 60 inch pier height

 

George,

You are on to an idea, I had not thought about removing the scope from the rings before attaching it to the mount. Park2 will now enable me to remove and place the scope on the open rings as you mentioned. That should work provided it does not roll out while I close the ring clasp; though the rings and handle are attached so if I remove the rings it may be a bit hard to hold without a handle since it is front cell heavy, most of the 40lbs are in the objective cell.


Shailesh


Re: Spikes in DEC #guiding #Guiding

Seb@stro
 

Well, I'm not the one who will contest your analysis, Brian. As Howard said earlier, your advice is to be taken seriously, and I agree! 🙂 And I also agree with your argument about the guiding pulse being in only one direction and being compatible with bad PA.

The reason why I said it was good in the first place is only because PHD told me so (see attached). It wasn't based on anything other data. Hence my hypothesis about it struggling to show me the real NCP when I did the Polar Drift Align in the gusty conditions...

Anyway, AP is also working with me behind the scenes to help figure out what could have happened. So, we'll see if they can shed some light on this from their perspective.

Sébastien


De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de Brian Valente <bvalente@...>
Envoyé : 3 mai 2021 22:55
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : Re: [ap-gto] Spikes in DEC #guiding #guiding
 
Seb

When i first reviewed your PHD logs, it appeared to me your polar alignment was quite off. All your corrections were in one direction

You said you thought it was the wind, but i have my doubts about that

so it's possible your polar alignment may be misaligned for whatever reason


Re: Spikes in DEC #guiding #Guiding

Seb@stro
 

Reassuring, thanks!
Sébastien


De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Envoyé : 3 mai 2021 22:45
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : Re: [ap-gto] Spikes in DEC #guiding #guiding
 

I just hope I have not prematurely worn out the gears/motors/else by accident in some way.
You cannot wear out the gears and motors.

Roland


-----Original Message-----
From: Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 9:03 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Spikes in DEC #guiding #guiding

Thank you Brian and Roland.

While its not impossible that DEC balance was off for some reason, I would say it's unlikely as I usually do it the same manner Roland described and last night was no different. In fact, I even use the dovetail riser as a reference point (see below) when loading the OTA which I know is pretty spot-on balance. But I always check in Park2, before balancing RA, swing it to Park3, balance RA and then send to Park5 to check again and adjust if necessary.

Unfortunately, as I setup and tear down every night, I can't assess if that was the culprit. Will need to wait for the next clear night to see if any different, hopefully by the end of the week.



Here's a shot with all 4 DEC clutches fully loosened and OTA at balance point above. I can easily move it up and down with a single finger by lightly pushing on the top/bottom side of the dewshield or backend of the camera and it won't freefall in any case.



I also should say that I did a Guide Assistant run at the end of the night like you suggested, and PHD2 then reported a 20 arc-min from NCP ! 

Now, I'm not clear on how such a difference (from the beginning of the night, where it supposedly was in the 2-3" range) could have occured as I almost overtighten and triple-check each and every knobs, clutches or whatever I can grab onto before firing up the imaging session. I make sure of that because temperature sometimes falls quite suddenly at night at this time of year (20C in like 1-2 hrs) and I've experience times where metal contraction was enough to virtually loosen things up. Last night was not that bad (about 10C between evening and midnight) but maybe I overlooked one of the dovetail knobs or the wheels that tighten the altitude adjustment, but again I'd be surprised.

Another thought I had today, was the possibility that the Polar Drift Align routine in PHD2 might have had difficulties in evaluating the field rotation correctly. Especially since the field of view through the OAG is tiny at 1422mm (like under half a degree with QHY5-174MM) in addition to the serious wind gusts that were relentlessly pushing against the assembly and then, encoders fighting back to keep it on target as you saw on the erratic initial Guiding Assistant plot. 

In the end, could it be possible it might have mistakenly directed me away from the pole instead of towards it ?

The thing I am uncertain about that theory however is how that would explain the 130s periodic spikes I got for a while. If my PHD2 settings were reasonable and Dec balance OK, then I just hope I have not prematurely worn out the gears/motors/else by accident in some way. I'm usually pretty careful, but life taught me that too much care can end up in the entire opposite of what you're trying to achieve sometimes... :-S

Sébastien

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: Spikes in DEC #guiding #Guiding

 

Seb

When i first reviewed your PHD logs, it appeared to me your polar alignment was quite off. All your corrections were in one direction

You said you thought it was the wind, but i have my doubts about that

so it's possible your polar alignment may be misaligned for whatever reason

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 7:13 PM Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
Ooops, not sure why the second photo showing balance in Park5 didn't go through. Please see attached.



De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...>
Envoyé : 3 mai 2021 22:03
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : Re: [ap-gto] Spikes in DEC #guiding #guiding
 
Thank you Brian and Roland.

While its not impossible that DEC balance was off for some reason, I would say it's unlikely as I usually do it the same manner Roland described and last night was no different. In fact, I even use the dovetail riser as a reference point (see below) when loading the OTA which I know is pretty spot-on balance. But I always check in Park2, before balancing RA, swing it to Park3, balance RA and then send to Park5 to check again and adjust if necessary.

Unfortunately, as I setup and tear down every night, I can't assess if that was the culprit. Will need to wait for the next clear night to see if any different, hopefully by the end of the week.



Here's a shot with all 4 DEC clutches fully loosened and OTA at balance point above. I can easily move it up and down with a single finger by lightly pushing on the top/bottom side of the dewshield or backend of the camera and it won't freefall in any case.



I also should say that I did a Guide Assistant run at the end of the night like you suggested, and PHD2 then reported a 20 arc-min from NCP ! 

Now, I'm not clear on how such a difference (from the beginning of the night, where it supposedly was in the 2-3" range) could have occured as I almost overtighten and triple-check each and every knobs, clutches or whatever I can grab onto before firing up the imaging session. I make sure of that because temperature sometimes falls quite suddenly at night at this time of year (20C in like 1-2 hrs) and I've experience times where metal contraction was enough to virtually loosen things up. Last night was not that bad (about 10C between evening and midnight) but maybe I overlooked one of the dovetail knobs or the wheels that tighten the altitude adjustment, but again I'd be surprised.

Another thought I had today, was the possibility that the Polar Drift Align routine in PHD2 might have had difficulties in evaluating the field rotation correctly. Especially since the field of view through the OAG is tiny at 1422mm (like under half a degree with QHY5-174MM) in addition to the serious wind gusts that were relentlessly pushing against the assembly and then, encoders fighting back to keep it on target as you saw on the erratic initial Guiding Assistant plot. 

In the end, could it be possible it might have mistakenly directed me away from the pole instead of towards it ?

The thing I am uncertain about that theory however is how that would explain the 130s periodic spikes I got for a while. If my PHD2 settings were reasonable and Dec balance OK, then I just hope I have not prematurely worn out the gears/motors/else by accident in some way. I'm usually pretty careful, but life taught me that too much care can end up in the entire opposite of what you're trying to achieve sometimes... :-S

Sébastien



--
Brian 



Brian Valente


Re: Dew cap internal flocking peeling off

Roland Christen
 


Is there any chance the evaporating volatiles from the Pliobond could
fog the objective lens?
No, no chance. besides, that dewcap is not part of the tube assembly

Rolando


-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Dodd <mike@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 8:59 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Dew cap internal flocking peeling off

On 5/3/2021 9:50 PM, Jim Fakatselis wrote:
> Thanks, just ordered some Pliobond.
> Jim
>
>> On May 3, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io
>> <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> 
>> Pliobond works really well.
>>
>> Rolando

Is there any chance the evaporating volatiles from the Pliobond could
fog the objective lens?

--- Mike








--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: Spikes in DEC #guiding #Guiding

Roland Christen
 


I just hope I have not prematurely worn out the gears/motors/else by accident in some way.
You cannot wear out the gears and motors.

Roland


-----Original Message-----
From: Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 9:03 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Spikes in DEC #guiding #guiding

Thank you Brian and Roland.

While its not impossible that DEC balance was off for some reason, I would say it's unlikely as I usually do it the same manner Roland described and last night was no different. In fact, I even use the dovetail riser as a reference point (see below) when loading the OTA which I know is pretty spot-on balance. But I always check in Park2, before balancing RA, swing it to Park3, balance RA and then send to Park5 to check again and adjust if necessary.

Unfortunately, as I setup and tear down every night, I can't assess if that was the culprit. Will need to wait for the next clear night to see if any different, hopefully by the end of the week.



Here's a shot with all 4 DEC clutches fully loosened and OTA at balance point above. I can easily move it up and down with a single finger by lightly pushing on the top/bottom side of the dewshield or backend of the camera and it won't freefall in any case.



I also should say that I did a Guide Assistant run at the end of the night like you suggested, and PHD2 then reported a 20 arc-min from NCP ! 

Now, I'm not clear on how such a difference (from the beginning of the night, where it supposedly was in the 2-3" range) could have occured as I almost overtighten and triple-check each and every knobs, clutches or whatever I can grab onto before firing up the imaging session. I make sure of that because temperature sometimes falls quite suddenly at night at this time of year (20C in like 1-2 hrs) and I've experience times where metal contraction was enough to virtually loosen things up. Last night was not that bad (about 10C between evening and midnight) but maybe I overlooked one of the dovetail knobs or the wheels that tighten the altitude adjustment, but again I'd be surprised.

Another thought I had today, was the possibility that the Polar Drift Align routine in PHD2 might have had difficulties in evaluating the field rotation correctly. Especially since the field of view through the OAG is tiny at 1422mm (like under half a degree with QHY5-174MM) in addition to the serious wind gusts that were relentlessly pushing against the assembly and then, encoders fighting back to keep it on target as you saw on the erratic initial Guiding Assistant plot. 

In the end, could it be possible it might have mistakenly directed me away from the pole instead of towards it ?

The thing I am uncertain about that theory however is how that would explain the 130s periodic spikes I got for a while. If my PHD2 settings were reasonable and Dec balance OK, then I just hope I have not prematurely worn out the gears/motors/else by accident in some way. I'm usually pretty careful, but life taught me that too much care can end up in the entire opposite of what you're trying to achieve sometimes... :-S

Sébastien

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: Spikes in DEC #guiding #Guiding

Seb@stro
 

Ooops, not sure why the second photo showing balance in Park5 didn't go through. Please see attached.



De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...>
Envoyé : 3 mai 2021 22:03
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : Re: [ap-gto] Spikes in DEC #guiding #guiding
 
Thank you Brian and Roland.

While its not impossible that DEC balance was off for some reason, I would say it's unlikely as I usually do it the same manner Roland described and last night was no different. In fact, I even use the dovetail riser as a reference point (see below) when loading the OTA which I know is pretty spot-on balance. But I always check in Park2, before balancing RA, swing it to Park3, balance RA and then send to Park5 to check again and adjust if necessary.

Unfortunately, as I setup and tear down every night, I can't assess if that was the culprit. Will need to wait for the next clear night to see if any different, hopefully by the end of the week.



Here's a shot with all 4 DEC clutches fully loosened and OTA at balance point above. I can easily move it up and down with a single finger by lightly pushing on the top/bottom side of the dewshield or backend of the camera and it won't freefall in any case.



I also should say that I did a Guide Assistant run at the end of the night like you suggested, and PHD2 then reported a 20 arc-min from NCP ! 

Now, I'm not clear on how such a difference (from the beginning of the night, where it supposedly was in the 2-3" range) could have occured as I almost overtighten and triple-check each and every knobs, clutches or whatever I can grab onto before firing up the imaging session. I make sure of that because temperature sometimes falls quite suddenly at night at this time of year (20C in like 1-2 hrs) and I've experience times where metal contraction was enough to virtually loosen things up. Last night was not that bad (about 10C between evening and midnight) but maybe I overlooked one of the dovetail knobs or the wheels that tighten the altitude adjustment, but again I'd be surprised.

Another thought I had today, was the possibility that the Polar Drift Align routine in PHD2 might have had difficulties in evaluating the field rotation correctly. Especially since the field of view through the OAG is tiny at 1422mm (like under half a degree with QHY5-174MM) in addition to the serious wind gusts that were relentlessly pushing against the assembly and then, encoders fighting back to keep it on target as you saw on the erratic initial Guiding Assistant plot. 

In the end, could it be possible it might have mistakenly directed me away from the pole instead of towards it ?

The thing I am uncertain about that theory however is how that would explain the 130s periodic spikes I got for a while. If my PHD2 settings were reasonable and Dec balance OK, then I just hope I have not prematurely worn out the gears/motors/else by accident in some way. I'm usually pretty careful, but life taught me that too much care can end up in the entire opposite of what you're trying to achieve sometimes... :-S

Sébastien


Re: Spikes in DEC #guiding #Guiding

Seb@stro
 

Thank you Brian and Roland.

While its not impossible that DEC balance was off for some reason, I would say it's unlikely as I usually do it the same manner Roland described and last night was no different. In fact, I even use the dovetail riser as a reference point (see below) when loading the OTA which I know is pretty spot-on balance. But I always check in Park2, before balancing RA, swing it to Park3, balance RA and then send to Park5 to check again and adjust if necessary.

Unfortunately, as I setup and tear down every night, I can't assess if that was the culprit. Will need to wait for the next clear night to see if any different, hopefully by the end of the week.



Here's a shot with all 4 DEC clutches fully loosened and OTA at balance point above. I can easily move it up and down with a single finger by lightly pushing on the top/bottom side of the dewshield or backend of the camera and it won't freefall in any case.



I also should say that I did a Guide Assistant run at the end of the night like you suggested, and PHD2 then reported a 20 arc-min from NCP ! 

Now, I'm not clear on how such a difference (from the beginning of the night, where it supposedly was in the 2-3" range) could have occured as I almost overtighten and triple-check each and every knobs, clutches or whatever I can grab onto before firing up the imaging session. I make sure of that because temperature sometimes falls quite suddenly at night at this time of year (20C in like 1-2 hrs) and I've experience times where metal contraction was enough to virtually loosen things up. Last night was not that bad (about 10C between evening and midnight) but maybe I overlooked one of the dovetail knobs or the wheels that tighten the altitude adjustment, but again I'd be surprised.

Another thought I had today, was the possibility that the Polar Drift Align routine in PHD2 might have had difficulties in evaluating the field rotation correctly. Especially since the field of view through the OAG is tiny at 1422mm (like under half a degree with QHY5-174MM) in addition to the serious wind gusts that were relentlessly pushing against the assembly and then, encoders fighting back to keep it on target as you saw on the erratic initial Guiding Assistant plot. 

In the end, could it be possible it might have mistakenly directed me away from the pole instead of towards it ?

The thing I am uncertain about that theory however is how that would explain the 130s periodic spikes I got for a while. If my PHD2 settings were reasonable and Dec balance OK, then I just hope I have not prematurely worn out the gears/motors/else by accident in some way. I'm usually pretty careful, but life taught me that too much care can end up in the entire opposite of what you're trying to achieve sometimes... :-S

Sébastien


Re: Dew cap internal flocking peeling off

Mike Dodd
 

On 5/3/2021 9:50 PM, Jim Fakatselis wrote:
Thanks, just ordered some Pliobond.
Jim

On May 3, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io
<chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:


Pliobond works really well.

Rolando
Is there any chance the evaporating volatiles from the Pliobond could fog the objective lens?

--- Mike


Re: Dew cap internal flocking peeling off

Jim Fakatselis
 

Thanks, just ordered some Pliobond.  
Jim

On May 3, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:


Pliobond works really well.

Rolando



-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Fakatselis <pashasdad@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 2:31 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Dew cap internal flocking peeling off

The black flocking lining on my 130EDF dew cap has peeled off.  Any ideas on how to repair it?
Thank you in advance.  
Jim


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: AP1600 w/AE manual #Absolute_Encoders

Dhaval
 

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for responding. I did see that, but did not pay a lot of attention given that I will be getting the CP4. Not sure if there is a whole lot of difference between those connections with CP3 and with CP4. 

Outside of that, I really wanted to see how to set it up in a remote location - with respect to homing it for the first time, creating pointing model, etc.

Thanks,
Dhaval


Re: AP1600 w/AE manual #Absolute_Encoders

Worsel
 


Re: 1100GTO case

Elenillor
 

Has anyone used soft sided buckets such as:https://www.kleintoolscanvas.com/shop/canvas-buckets-pouches/wide-opening-straight-wall-bucket. as a small, light weight house-to-car-to-setup. 3M and others make similar bolt buckets. Obviously not for shipping but it seems they should work for a separated 1100. Perhaps should add some closed cell foam in the bottom and a rolled kydex sheet to keep the bag open. I might give it a try when I get the mount, scheduled for Auguest. .

John.


Re: AP1200 GTO chatter

Don Anderson
 

Again, I wouldn't worry about it Mike. From your description, it looks like you did a fine job. Good for 2-3 years depending on usage and environmental conditions.

Don Anderson


On Monday, May 3, 2021, 03:16:29 p.m. MDT, Mike C <mike@...> wrote:


Thanks Dale and Don

So I re-did the RA today. One of the gears in the RA gearbox had by far the most dried on grease on it. In the end, having assembled it all again and with a counterweight and my scope back on it, it sound like butter on both axis in both directions, I am very pleased. The PE curve will be fascinating to see when we have stars in the sky again.

The regrease instructions were a bit brief for me, a software guy who has never done anything like this. I wasn't sure how much grease to put on, the instructions say less but more evenly applied is better than more but less evenly applied, but not really how much. When cleaning the old dried grease off I kept imagining the mineral spirits and denatured alchohol running down the face of the wheel and into the main bearings, I have no idea if this is a silly thing to worry about but I worked to keep any excess from going far. I wondered what it takes to noticeably upset your PE, would a hair on the worm wheel do it, a speck of old dried lube etc. It's fun to do new things but having some knowledge about it would be nice.

 

cheers, Mike


Re: AP1200 GTO chatter

Mike C
 

Thanks Dale and Don

So I re-did the RA today. One of the gears in the RA gearbox had by far the most dried on grease on it. In the end, having assembled it all again and with a counterweight and my scope back on it, it sound like butter on both axis in both directions, I am very pleased. The PE curve will be fascinating to see when we have stars in the sky again.

The regrease instructions were a bit brief for me, a software guy who has never done anything like this. I wasn't sure how much grease to put on, the instructions say less but more evenly applied is better than more but less evenly applied, but not really how much. When cleaning the old dried grease off I kept imagining the mineral spirits and denatured alchohol running down the face of the wheel and into the main bearings, I have no idea if this is a silly thing to worry about but I worked to keep any excess from going far. I wondered what it takes to noticeably upset your PE, would a hair on the worm wheel do it, a speck of old dried lube etc. It's fun to do new things but having some knowledge about it would be nice.

 

cheers, Mike


Re: 1100GTO case

M Hambrick
 

Hi Todd

I agree that it would be better if the Dec axis could be stored sideways. There are other brands of these heavy duty toolboxes. I think Milwaukee has a similar set, but I am not sure what the dimensions are.

The footprint of the Dec axis with the DOVELM162 attached is 12" X 16" X 8-1/2". Allowing for at least 1inch of padding all around it looks like a Pelican 1607 case (inside dimensions 21.1" X 15.8" X 11.6") would accommodate the Dec axis plus saddle in a sideways orientation. Pelican sells their cases with a no foam option. You would probably want to use the high density polyethylene foam and cut it yourself.

There was another discussion about storage cases on the forum not long ago, and Roland commented that you need to make sure that the gearbox housings are not subjected to any stress when the mount is being stored.

Mike


Re: Dew cap internal flocking peeling off

Roland Christen
 

Pliobond works really well.

Rolando



-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Fakatselis <pashasdad@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 2:31 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Dew cap internal flocking peeling off

The black flocking lining on my 130EDF dew cap has peeled off.  Any ideas on how to repair it?
Thank you in advance.  
Jim


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Re: 1100GTO case

midmoastro
 

Mike this is exactly what i was looking for, thank you. Did they not have a box where the DEC could fit sideways along with the mounting plate? I think I would prefer that but may not be an option with Rigid.?
Todd

3121 - 3140 of 81394