Re: Pier Placement

Jeff B

When we built our Park's observatory using an old 16' dome with an 8" F13 achromat on an AP1200, we got into an analysis paralysis about biasing the pier position. Eventually, we said screw it and put it right in the middle where it works just fine as we bias the dome shutter position to take advantage of almost its entire width and arc length (which substends a bit over 90 degrees).

Jeff

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 12:15 PM Mark Stanford <stanfordm1@...> wrote:
Hi All

I was wondering if y'all had any ideas on pier placement in an observatory.  I am placing my AP1600GTO in a 10' HomeDome and I have a tandem mount with a C14Edge and a SVX140T.  I want to take advantage of the 36 inch wide shutter but am not sure what side of center I should place the pier.  I should say that I am at 35 North latitude.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark