Re: Mach2GTO counterweight shaft stuck midway #Mach2GTO

Michael Kelly

No worries.  The other option is to mail the entire assembly to me, I’ll get the pieces apart and ship it back to you in 2023!    Free of charge, of course!!  Please be sure to include all items fir testing purposes of course.

On Monday, August 8, 2022, 2:57 PM, Carl Björk <carl.bjork@...> wrote:

Thanks Michael!
Oh, yes I do know a machinist, but I think I will try the fridge trick, else I'll have to wait a few weeks for him to have time to help me...

I have a propane torch, so I might even trying 15-30s...

Hahaha :-D
Yes I have a few other gigapixel mosaic targets currently in acquisition ;-)

Best,

Carl

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 08:50 PM, Michael Kelly wrote:
Sorry to hear about this Carl!  In my line of work we routinely use an induction heater, but short of that may I suggest putting the whole thing in your freezer for a few hours, or dry ice if available.  Take out and immediately apply a heat gun (or highest source of heat that is available to you). Be sure not to direct heat at the counterweight shaft so it stays as cold as possible.  Try for a minute or soo and try strap wrenches.

If that fails, any qualified machinist can assist removing the stuck parts without damaging them.

Good luck and looking forward to more Gagillionpixel images!

Best,

Michael