Re: Keypad V5.010 available for GTOCP4 and GTOCP5!

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hi Roland,

so what do you think is the best way to handle if you are working in a combination sometimes with a computer and APCC and sometimes with the hand pad. If you have a model build without the Ortho model and you build afterwards the Ortho model. Will this influence APCC when you flip sides?

Grüsse

Konni

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 19.07.2022 um 18:08 schrieb Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>:

Yes, the Ortho model is active after a power cycle.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jul 19, 2022 1:06 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Keypad V5.010 available for GTOCP4 and GTOCP5!

Hi Roland,

what will happen if you power cycle the mount? Is the Ortho  model still working?

Grüsse

Konni

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 19.07.2022 um 02:41 schrieb Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>:

My question is will the CP4 apply the ortho model even for goto's that are done through planetarium software, or only though the keypad?
The keypad is always only the messenger. The CP controllers do all the math. Once the Ortho model is loaded it will operate automatically with any external software. The keypad has the routine that creates the model. Once that's done, the keypad is no longer in the loop.

The drift and sky pointing models also reside in the CP controller. The keypad can turn them on or off, but has no other function once they are created and loaded into the CP. You could even eliminate the keypad if you simply send the commands to turn these models on and off via terminal mode.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io; ap-gto@groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Jul 18, 2022 6:09 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Keypad V5.010 available for GTOCP4 and GTOCP5!

Wow!  This feels like Christmas in July!

I read through the materials and have a couple of questions.  Hopefully, I didn't just miss the answers as I went through everything.

I have verified the serial numbers of my CP4 controllers and keypad.  All of my CP4's are old enough that I will need to purchase the modeling license for each.

My biggest question is about how the model works.  Specifically, I am interested in the ortho modeling for visual use with my C14.  I see how this works with the keypad, but it's not clear to me how much work is done by the keypad and how much is done in the CP4.  My scenario is that I would like to use the keypad to configure the ortho model, but then use SkySafari over WiFi to find objects.  My question is will the CP4 apply the ortho model even for goto's that are done through planetarium software, or only though the keypad?

As for my keypad, I've never changed the battery since I purchased it new 10 years ago.  I assume that the battery is dead, but since I typically use SkySafari, I wouldn't notice.  I'll be calling in tomorrow to order a new battery, but will be heading to a star party next week, so there is a chance that I won't have it in time.  It looks like making the ortho model depends on the star catalog, so I should be able to make that work even before changing the battery, right?

Also, I am interested in updating the membrane on the keypad to match the new layout.  Is it possible to order the membrane and replace it at the same time I do the battery?

Thanks so much for this update.  This is awesome!

-Wade

On 7/18/22 3:15 PM, Marj Christen wrote:
The newest version 5.010 is now available for the GTOCP4 as well as the GTOCP5 and the manual has been updated to provide information regarding use with both control boxes.

This is a long-anticipated release for owners of the GTOCP4 control boxes and I am sure that there will be many questions. Most questions can be answered by careful reading of the 5.010 upgrade page that can be accessed from the Software Updates page. 

Here are the major topics addressed on the 5.010 upgrade page:
  • Are you Upgrading from v4.19.5 or Earlier Version?
  • Using Keypad v5.010 with the GTOCP5 vs GTOCP4 Control Boxes
  • Requirements – These are VERY IMPORTANT!
  • Keypad Version History
  • Links to the upgrade Instructions – FOLLOW THESE CAREFULLY.
  • Link to the Keypad manual – This is the totally revised manual that should be downloaded by everyone who upgrades to v5.010.
  • Link to 5.010 Program and Loader
Here is a direct link to the 5.010 firmware update page:

We hope that you all enjoy the program as much as Roland does!!

Clear Skies,
Marj Christen
Astro-Physics
11250 Forest Hills Road
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.