Re: 400GTO

Roland Christen

f the worms are fully in mesh, then it's possible that the end-play not is loose.
It should say end play nut.

From: Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Jul 4, 2022 4:36 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 400GTO

Thanks Roland. I do have play in the axis, but any tighter and it stalls.
If the worms are fully in mesh, then it's possible that the end-play not is loose. This is the adjustable nut on the end of the worm gear that holds it in place. If it's loose, then the worm gear is able to move back and forth sideways as you push on the scope or counterweight shaft.

By the way, having backlash in RA has zero effect on guiding. In Dec you want to have little or no backlash, because during guiding you will be reversing the axis as the guide software tries to keep the star on the centerline. If there is too much backlash delay, it takes a long time for the axis to react during a reversal.

Roland