Re: Motor stall

Christopher Erickson

In my personal experience, the top ten most common sources of AP mount motor stalls (orange LED) are, in order:

1. Battery power voltage drop.
2. AC-DC power adapter failing for some reason. Usually due to internal age/humidity/corrosion.
3. Loose, fragile or corroded power connections.
4. Internal CP4/5 horizon limits safety feature hit. Sometimes the CP4/5 itself seems to lose track of the true horizon for mysterious reasons.
5. Camera/focuser/etc. cable hangup.
6. Pinched/damaged Motor Y-cable.
7. Loose motor Y-cable connections.
8. One or both axes BADLY out of balance.
9. Forgetting to put on the counterweights. (seriously yes, I have done this)
10. Electrical or mechanical failure of some kind in the motor assembly. Rather rare.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 7:16 AM thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:
Agree. I should’ve taken my time but the seeing was so good I was more interested in viewing than isolating the problem. I will work on that in the future.

Jim P