Re: FrankenScope Stage I Step 2

Robert Berta

I have one of those GF Meade tripods for use with my 1100 mount for field use. Works great BUT....there is one danger area to check. The struts that connect at the very bottom to hold the legs in place are held in place with steel drift or roll pins. Those pins really should not be used into aluminum since after moving the legs in and out over time the pins will work their way out and the tripod will collapse and everything goes down $$$.  I removed those roll pins and replaced with steel bolts and Nylok nuts to prevent that. That was about 15 years ago and no issues at all now.  Mine never crashed but I found out the issue when one of my pins had worked its way partially out ....but not quite enough to cause a failure....close call!