locked Re: Our blinding blaring world

Frank Widmann

One useful tool in combating light pollution is the concept of light trespass. The county I live in has a requirement that all lights be shielded to prevent intrusion beyond the property line. Why should somebody else’s questionable taste and silly phobias be allowed to interfere with my enjoyment of my property? If there is one thing even light polluters can understand, it is property rights.

Frank

On Jun 14, 2022, at 6:18 AM, ap@... wrote:

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 07:17 AM, Jim H wrote:
Here are a few thoughts on how to help reduce lighting.
The problem (or maybe I should say my frustration with) many of these is that they rely on advocacy, and at least here in Florida the public generally WANTS daylight at midnight, and elected officials in both government and perhaps worse home owners groups go along, so it just gets brighter and brighter.

Are there laws and regulations on the books that one can use?  Something with actual teeth, to say "you do not comply with X.Y.Z and must change or you may be fined"?  Something to stop the (fed? state?) from continuing to light huge swaths of the everglades by lighting miles of Alligator Alley with street lights?

I applaud public outreach and advocacy, don't get me wrong. But the up-lighting, grotesquely bright street lights in front of my house are not going away unless there is actually a law against it -- too many old farts who otherwise can't venture outside after dusk, claiming it is a "safety" issue to which the HOA rushes to install ever more and brighter lights.

And really -- who needs lights on an interstate in the middle of the literal Everglades swamp?  I'm still surprised those are legal, this is the same area building miles of animal tunnels and other accommodations to protect wildlife, but blinding anything flying or moving at night.

We need lawyers, sadly.

Linwood