Re: [ap-ug] Our blinding blaring world

Pete Lardizabal

In the early 1960s I remember being frustrated as kid trying to find the constellations in the South Florida skies… TOO MANY STARS! The Milky Way was an amazing “blanket of light”.

Here in St Johns, Florida I can still make out the Milky Way; however, land developers are busy with home construction and it is only a matter of time until that “blanket of light” is lost.

☹️

Pete

On Jun 13, 2022, at 2:46 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Light and sound pollution has accelerated this century. At some point most people will not know that there are stars in the sky
Rolando

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/07/light-noise-pollution-animal-sensory-impact/638446/?utm_medium=cr&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=july/august_coverstory_actives2022&utm_term=ALL%20Active%20Subscribers%20%28Stripe%2BCDS%2BiTunes%29

Exerpt:

In 2001, the astronomer Pierantonio Cinzano and his colleagues created the first global atlas of light pollution. They calculated that two-thirds of the world’s population lived in light-polluted areas, where the nights were at least 10 percent brighter than natural darkness. About 40 percent of humankind is permanently bathed in the equivalent of perpetual moonlight, and about 25 percent constantly experiences an artificial twilight that exceeds the illumination of a full moon. “‘Night’ never really comes for them,” the researchers wrote. In 2016, when the team updated the atlas, it found that the problem had become even worse. By then, about 83 percent of people—including more than 99 percent of Americans and Europeans—were under light-polluted skies. More than a third of humanity, and almost 80 percent of North Americans, can no longer see the Milky Way. “The thought of light traveling billions of years from distant galaxies only to be washed out in the last billionth of a second by the glow from the nearest strip mall depresses me to no end,” the visual ecologist Sönke Johnsen once wrote.