Re: knock on direction reversal #Guiding

Hi Pete

I don't have an answer for you on the knock sound, but generally backlash is not an issue when guiding in RA. it's tracking in sidereal, so the axis will slow down or speed up in response to guide commands, but never reverse.

If you have a guidelog that may shed more light on your problem?

Brian

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 5:42 PM Peter Santangeli <peter@...> wrote:
I've been trying to isolate some issues guiding my C11 on AP900 that look like might be backlash (strangely... in RA).

I just re-seated my RA worm (I did this 5 or so years ago).

I just noticed that when I reverse directions at maximum slewing speed, there is a significant sounding 'knock' from the gear box. I don't remember this before, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Should this be quiet or is a noise on reversal ok?

pete