Re: Mach 2 basic operation

Roland Christen

Software setup can be as easy or as complex as you wish it to be.  Anything from simple setup and shoot in the backyard, to full automation over the internet.

I usually have some type of laptop available when I'm imaging. I use SkyX to find objects and MaximDL to both guide and take the images. So, that's 2 pieces of software, and they have to be set up no matter what mount you use. Setting them up is really quite simple. Both SkyX and Maxim are automatically connected to the mount when I press "Connect to Mount" on each of these packages. There's nothing else to do, really, except to start guiding and shooting.

Sometimes I don't have a laptop and just want to attach a consumer digital camera to the scope. I won't be using either SkyX or MaximDL. In that case I use either my keypad hand controller or something like Sky Safari on a tablet. With the hand controller there is nothing to set up (after a one-time setup when you first operate the keypad). You simply turn on the mount and go to the Objects Menu in the keypad. There you can pick out stars, deep sky objects, and solar system objects. You can go on a tour in a favorite constellation, or pick out an object by name, by co-ordinates or by M, IC, NGC number and a host of other ways. Pick an object, press enter and watch it slew to the object. That's it in a nutshell.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 23, 2022 6:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach 2 basic operation

This was me. I honestly didn't consider asking here as I don't have the mount yet. But it's very nice to know that the workflow is essentially the same. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the documentation available. And maybe the complexity I'm seeing is just the initial software setup, though I'm not sure as I don't have it yet. I'm still very much looking forward to getting my hands on one and trying it out.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.