Re: 110 scope musings

Roland Christen

Convenience of where to put the camera. No off-axis balancing required. Central obstruction will not be much more for a Cass.

From: Greg Salyer <astronutcase@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 23, 2022 11:37 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 110 scope musings

So why a Mak-Cas for imaging if you prefer a Mak-Newt for visual?

Greg

On May 23, 2022, at 11:21 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Mak-Newts have only 3 optical surfaces aside from the diagonal flat. Those 3 surfaces are spherical, so can be produced with extremely high accuracy and smoothness. The field curvature is essentially flat for even the widest field eyepiece. Coma is a tiny fraction of what a parabolic Newtonian mirror produces and cannot be seen in any wide field or high power eyepiece. There is no spider diffraction to spoil a high power view of a bright planet. The front corrector glass is hard borosilica crown which is the least expensive glass available and is available in the highest internal quality. The tube is closed, so no dirt will fall on the mirror surface. Alignment (collimation) of the mirror is not an issue since it is spherical, so it can be permanently aligned at the factory.