Re: Unguided Imaging with a SCT

Christopher Erickson

There is only one way I have found to be able to run unguided SCT's on any mount, and that is by adding a Hyperstar. At f2.2, exposures are rather short.
Floating/flopping mirrors cause much less problems with shorter exposures. The super-wide-field is great for many objects but not so great for others. For planets, I go with video modes and short exposures so guiding isn't very critical there either.

When I'm not using a Hyperstar or shooting planets, I always use an off-axis guider. I would like to play with an on-axis guider someday but I haven't yet made the investment.

Piggyback guiders on SCT's and most other compound scopes just leads to tears.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 1:06 PM Bruce Donzanti <donza2735@...> wrote:
I just found out that InnovationsForesight is working with NINA on a native integration