Re: Laptop Specs for Mount, Imaging, and Processing

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 08:50 AM, Richard Benoit wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Bryan. I had thought about a TV but wasn't sure it would work. Intel docs and Google searches didn't make it clear. I'll continue to research it some more.
The short version is an HD TV with HDMI will usually work.  The longer version is that it depends a bit on the bios of the computer, I've had a Raspberry Pi (different thing of course) that would only boot if the resolution of the TV matched one it had predefined.  But in the vast majority of the cases, a HDMI HD (at least) TV will work.

And if you don't have a simple USB Keyboard and mouse, just buy one of the cheap ones off Amazon and have it lying around in case you need it, it will be maybe $20 for both.  The more basic the better so there's no weird software or drivers or wireless dongles to deal with.

While setting it up connected (because you can't get to the bios/uefi remotely later) be sure to review settings like whether it automatically boots on power-on (some cheap ones don't have that option!), and in rare cases there may be settings to control "wait for boot on error" which can sometimes include "no keyboard detected", leaving it not starting once you unplug (again, rare, those were usually old bios' before people started running headless a lot, but it is worth reviewing all settings while you connect the first time).

Be aware though that there are three different HDMI connector types - regular, mini and micro.  There is also display port which looks like a HDMI except one side is flat not rounded) and small versions of it.  There are adapters for all of these to convert one to the other, so (for example) if the PC comes with a mini-HDMI and your TV is a regular, you will need an adapter (and it may or may not come with it).  You can also convert HDMI to Display Port or to DVI with just an adapter.

Linwood