Re: Laptop Specs for Mount, Imaging, and Processing

Wayne Hixson

With an arrangement with computer/USB hub/ Power Distribution box on top of the mount, you can use the shortest cables and reduce cable flexure during scope moves. I don’t think I have any cable, power or signal, longer than three feet other than the power cable up to the Eagle and the Ethernet cable back to the GTOCP5. I do run the CP5 power cable from the AP 24-volt adapter, but it is stationary when the scope moves. 

On Apr 19, 2022, at 2:37 PM, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

>>> I'm seeing more and more portable imagers attaching them to their smallish imaging systems with a plethora of wires going hither and yon, 

that just sounds like poor cable management

The *idea* is that with the computer on top of the telescope, it has a smaller footprint in the obs, and all of the various astro devices (camera, focuser, rotator, etc.) connect directly to that computer and therefore don't need a cable running off the telescope and to the computer on a nearby table. 

Special-purpose hubs like pegasus astro include power, usb, etc. also help here

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 2:26 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I personally don’t see much benefit to putting the NUC up with the scope. Most NUCs don’t have quite enough USB ports, and you are exposing your computer to the elements just to use it as a powered USB hub. 
I also have a NUC in the observatory that is wired into our network. It sits next to the 17" astrograph on a table and can be accessed various ways. It's connected to the mount and imaging camera and can handle all sorts of tasks, same as a laptop or desktop. I have a screen and keyboard so I can work the scope either at the mount or inside the main building. What I don't understand it the reason for putting a NUC up on top of the scope. There must be some reason because I'm seeing more and more portable imagers attaching them to their smallish imaging systems with a plethora of wires going hither and yon, that make spider webs look simple by comparison.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Apr 19, 2022 1:34 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Laptop Specs for Mount, Imaging, and Processing

I use a NUC housed in a waterproof container at the pier. Mine is an industrial quality device that even has real RS232 ports, and I use one to connect to the GTOCP4. All equipment on the mount connects through a RigRunner power distribution unit and a Startech powered USB hub. One power and one USB Cable are routed through the mount, plus one power cable for dew heaters. I can plug any monitor and keyboard/mouse into the NUC and use it as a laptop equivalent but with better controls and displays. However, I normally run the NUC headless and connect using Remote Desktop from my image processing computer in the house. It is also a NUC and has a 27 inch HD monitor connected. It hosts PixInsight and Photoshop. I run the following programs on the NUC every night: APCC and V2 driver, PHD, The Sky X, SGP, NINA, Optec Focus Lynx and AG Optical scope thermal manager. My images are downloaded directly from the NUC at the scope to my Network Attached Storage device and are immediately accessible to my image processing computer. I can also remote desktop into the NUC from my iPad. I personally don’t see much benefit to putting the NUC up with the scope. Most NUCs don’t have quite enough USB ports, and you are exposing your computer to the elements just to use it as a powered USB hub. 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.