Re: Laptop Specs for Mount, Imaging, and Processing

Wayne Hixson

With an arrangement with computer/USB hub/ Power Distribution box on top of the mount, you can use the shortest cables and reduce cable flexure during scope moves. I don’t think I have any cable, power or signal, longer than three feet other than the power cable up to the Eagle and the Ethernet cable back to the GTOCP5. I do run the CP5 power cable from the AP 24-volt adapter, but it is stationary when the scope moves.

On Apr 19, 2022, at 2:37 PM, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

>>> I'm seeing more and more portable imagers attaching them to their smallish imaging systems with a plethora of wires going hither and yon,

that just sounds like poor cable management

The *idea* is that with the computer on top of the telescope, it has a smaller footprint in the obs, and all of the various astro devices (camera, focuser, rotator, etc.) connect directly to that computer and therefore don't need a cable running off the telescope and to the computer on a nearby table.

Special-purpose hubs like pegasus astro include power, usb, etc. also help here

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 2:26 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I personally don’t see much benefit to putting the NUC up with the scope. Most NUCs don’t have quite enough USB ports, and you are exposing your computer to the elements just to use it as a powered USB hub.
I also have a NUC in the observatory that is wired into our network. It sits next to the 17" astrograph on a table and can be accessed various ways. It's connected to the mount and imaging camera and can handle all sorts of tasks, same as a laptop or desktop. I have a screen and keyboard so I can work the scope either at the mount or inside the main building. What I don't understand it the reason for putting a NUC up on top of the scope. There must be some reason because I'm seeing more and more portable imagers attaching them to their smallish imaging systems with a plethora of wires going hither and yon, that make spider webs look simple by comparison.