Re: Laptop Specs for Mount, Imaging, and Processing

Christopher Erickson

I use a gaming laptop with a 17" screen, 4TB SSD hard drive & 16GB RAM. When I am home, I connect an external 27" screen to it. I process images on the 27" screen and use the built-in 17" screen for command windows and such. When I am in the field, I sure miss the 27" screen!

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 3:19 PM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:
I have got an Icron Ranger 2304 powered USB hub. I think those are pretty good quality.

I get my USB and Ethernet cables from L-Com. I try to get the best ones they offer with the heavier gauge wires and ferrite clips (part no U2A00016). They come in lengths from 1m to 5m. The High Flex Industrial Outdoor ethernet cables (part no TRD695AHF) are also very good. They are more a little more flexible than most ethernet cables I have seen.

I have been fighting this MaxIm lockup problem for some time now. It is very frustrating because it occurs without warning. Last week it happened two nights in a row. When I set everything up indoors to try to duplicate the problem and do some more extensive troubleshooting, everything worked perfectly every time I started it all up.

Mike