AP 900GTO disassembly

Dan_Paris

  Hello everyone,

I am new to this group (and new to Astro-Physics products in general). I will receive a second hand AP 900GTO in almost new condition with CP4 upgrade within few weeks. In the meantime I am studying the user guides to get familiar with the mount and accessories.

My first question is related to assembly and disassembly of the DEC axis. It is suggested in  the manual to remove the counterweight shaft from the DEC axis before disassembly. Is it really necessary or could I leave the shaft in place all the time?

Thanks for your help and clear skies,

Dan