That’s very interesting, Roland, and thanks for the additional background.

Do you ever sell time on the Mak to remote imagers?

—howard

On Mar 31, 2022, at 11:29 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The facility was built by the Carnegie foundation and sat idle for a while. We were invited to put a scope up at one end of the building. For us it was a good opportunity to set up a remote observatory so we could test out our systems and software in actual use. As far as the scope, there's nothing more rugged than a Mak-Cass. No moving mirrors, no flexing of the optical path, mirrors totally enclosed so the coatings don't degrade. It eliminates a lot of variables when you want to develop control software for remote operation.

The building has a second 1600 mount with a 300mm Takahashi RC that is used in several research projects. It is also being readied for a third scope of 20" aperture, again for research.

We have a number of other mount installations around the world with 20" RCs that are doing professional work (not taking pretty pictures). We have learned a lot about what works and what to avoid, and this is our primary purpose. Taking pretty pictures is just the icing on the cake.

From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2022 9:38 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Deep Helix

The remote scope is mouth-watering, Roland! Thanks for posting the link.

It seems to me that the cost of constructing such a large and robust building in that remote and forbidding place, laying the electricals to it, equipping it with the support electronics, and so on, must outweigh the cost of the the current scope it houses by a factor of several. Or 10. If you don’t mind an indelicate and intrusive question: After committing whatever level of funding to the cause, why stop at 12”? Why not go 10% higher and double the aperture, twice the bang for only a little more buck? That place looks like it wants the 24” PlaneWave on an el Capitan that you showed at NEAF!

—howard