Re: Saddle Plate For RASA 11

Christopher Erickson

It is my diplomatic (LOL) opinion that Celestron dovetail brackets and bars are complete rubbish. For multiple reasons.

Get Astro-Physics, Losmandy or ADM dovetail brackets and bars only. AP, of course, being by far the best.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 7:20 PM O'Neal, Michael <starman43@...> wrote:
On the CGE plates for the RASA, I would not recommend their use on this instrument. I replaced the original CGE mounting plates with Losmandy on my recently acquired 9.25 HD scope because of an experience that brought home the inferior quality of the Celestron plates. I was visiting a friend who was mounting a new 11" HD on his G11 mount. After assembly, we moved the setup to a corner of his garage with the focusser toward the wall. Shortly after, the optical tube, mounted on the CGE plate, slid part way off the Losmandy mount, hitting the wall. If the telescope had been further away, it would have landed on the floor, destroying the telescope. After analyzing the situation, it was determined that the CGE plate was flexing and the G11 clamps could not be tightened enough to properly secure the load. I have been using Losmandy "D" plates for many years and they are on all OTA"s that ride on my AP 1100 mount.  I recommend using the top plates available from AP as they have worked just fine with the Losmandy equipment without issues.

Mike O.