Re: Mach2 meets old school Takahashi MT-160

Jeff B

Very nice.  Remember, an old school can still be a very good school.

Jeff

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 12:00 PM Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
I have been using my FSQ-106 exclusively with my Mach2 since I received the mount almost 2 years ago.  I have also put my guide camera and guide scope in storage and have been imaging unguided at 360mm and 530mm with the FSQ and unguided imaging has worked great for me.

Since we are in "galaxy season" I thought I might try the Mach2 unguided with my old school Takahashi MT-160 Newtonian.

I didn't know what to expect with the longer focal length [780mm with the MT-160's reducer/corrector]  of the MT-160 and the potential for various components of the Newtonian - the primary mirror, the secondary mirror and the tube itself - to flex as the scope rotated across the sky.

The result is here:  https://www.astrobin.com/c9uyab/

Although the small pixels of the camera started to show the Newtonian's coma pretty quickly, I think that the image turned out pretty good considering the scope was designed and manufactured when a lot of us were still using film for astrophotography.  The posted image is cropped and down sampled to make the coma less distracting.

The best part is that all of the stars in the middle of the image are nice and round.  So, the APPM/APCC model was able to give me nice round stars in the center of the image with 180 second exposures.   It doesn't look like I will need to use a guiding solution with the Mach2 + MT-160 combination.

Maybe I need a camera with a smaller detector and larger pixels for the MT-160...
--
Dean Jacobsen