Re: How do I get two computers connected to the GTOCP4 WiFi to talk to each other?

Jeffc

On Mar 10, 2022, at 2:51 PM, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

>>> It doesn't need to act as a switch or a router right?.

I think it does.

This is my understanding also.

The WiFi is not point to point for clients (Eg just because they are in the same address range).   WiFi packets are received by the WiFi router then forwarded over wifi to the destination device.

(If this weren’t the case then two WiFi devices could continue to talk to each other when outside of the AP WiFi range. Pretty sure it doesn’t work this way.)

So.. the question still remains … does the CP4/5 do WiFi routing?
(I did see Howard’s note, but haven’t seen a definitive follow up.
Fwiw , I would suggest leaving the CP4/5 to tasks for which it is suited/designed for and WiFi routing to a purpose built cheap router.  This way if , for example, one needs to restart the CP4/5 WiFi is not interrupted.  But The AP team has better experience than myself in this area. )

Serving up DHCP addresses and routing are two different functions. I suspect (but I don't know) the intent of the access point was to allow devices to communicate with the CP4.

Brian

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 2:45 PM Nick Iversen <inoddy@...> wrote:
The GTOCP4 is a DHCP server. It allocates IP addresses 172.31.0.100 and 172.31.0.101 to two computers. It doesn't need to act as a switch or a router right?. The two computers should be able to talk to each other. But they can't. So RealVNC or TeamViewer won't work. It works on ethernet but not on WiFi.

--
Brian

Brian Valente